Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Deema I am a Male quilter I feel for you!! MY DW does Hates my quilting claims its boring. my DW loves to craft and will make dog coats for me to sew. BUT will have nothing to do with quilting.

I am sending you a hug
Chris a male quilter
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
My husband shoves me into a fabric store and says have fun!!

I have a very supportive husband, to a point. He does require my time. It is a real balancing act. He is fine when he has something to do. He has hobbies and enjoys them. But when he is bored or wants my company I have to stop quilting and pay attention. A marriage does take work and compromise. I married him to be with him. I just have to remember that and not get upset when I don't get all the sewing done that I want to.

Oh, I'm so sorry! We're in the same boat!! I feel your pain! I haven't worked for over five years, so I CONSTANTLY have comments tossed at me about how many hours HE had to work to earn the amount of money I spent! OOOOO, it makes me feel like a four year old! And I have a lot of hobbies, new to quilting, I crochet, make jewelry, and paper craft, so I admit I do like to spend for new supplies. The worst however is when I try to work on a bible study! He thinks it's SO FUNNY to continually talk to me, while I'm trying to study!! I do believe he's jealous of the time I spend doing this, and he's not a believer, so I need to realize he doesn't understand the joy I find in studying and learning about the WORD. Bottom line....some men will NEVER mature!!!! Thanks for letting me vent, too!
Sending hugs your way~ Chris
Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 AM

"Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..."

What happens if your not?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM

I am so fortunate. My husband supports everything I do. Never hear a word on money spent or time involved with my craft. He has his shed outside and tho he is retired, he keeps busy. He is a country boy and has never "just sat". Has alot of interests himself. Believe me...he is far from perfect...in fact most days!!/?/**&%%$##@#...well that is another story! LOL!!@
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 AM

he gets stuck with Heckle and Jeckle. They are a challenge because of the drugs the "donor" used, but we're getting through it!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 AM

No I think he sounds like a "mama's boy" and everything centers around him....it's all about him and his needs!!!! I have a 57 year old BIL and he is still "latched" onto his mommy.
On the other hand, I am the luckiest girl in the world!!! I have the greatest husband ever and he supports me in all I and we do together. He is never needy. He even went to a craft fair where I had a both and sat for 6 hrs. with me for the last two years.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Oh you poor girl. Sounds like he is insecure a bit. You need to compromise with him. My sisters husb is somewhat like that where he wants her to go everywhere with him etc. She started readingbooks while he watched TV in the same room.I have been married for 46 yrs and when he retired it was hard because he was bored and wanted me to go places and I had to go.But in the evenings I got him to weave place mats and he is now on his 10th one and loves it. Hope you can find something for your husb to do instead of TV then you can do your hobbies.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
nab

I am one of the lucky ones too. My DH worries when I do not buy fabric. I do try to have hand work to do, because I like being with him. We have been married since we were 18 and pretty much grew-up together. He joined the Army and left 10 days after we were married and spent 21 years. We moved quite often so we had to depend on each other. We have both changed alot in the last 42 years and have both mellowed. I have always sewn or crafted so he has learned it is just part of me. He loves to buy me sewing machines. He says it is the easiest gift he can buy. He does on occasion go to the quilt shops with me and does pick out fabric he likes. He also has been know to help me arrange my blocks once they are done. This last year he has decided he wants to bow hunt, we have been watching a LOT of the Outdoor channel. It is not my favorite to watch (I'm more in to the forensic shows) but it is time we spend together. I wish you all had someone to SHARE your life with.