Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away >

The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away

The Eldredge Two Spool that almost got away

Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM

What a nice machine! So glad you got it. Can you post a picture of the can? there are three styles and yours looks to be older than mine, so I'm curious if it's got the earlier style can too.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Beautiful and the effort to acquire it will make it all the more memorable and valuable!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
What a nice machine! So glad you got it. Can you post a picture of the can? there are three styles and yours looks to be older than mine, so I'm curious if it's got the earlier style can too.
Hi Macybaby, I will do that when I get home, but I can already tell you yes it is the older style can...with the "wings" and is really nice shape.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 PM

Congrats on a nice machine and kudos to Alawai for helping you find it.
You should be able to straighten the cover plate pretty easily. Cushion it with a soft cloth and a block of wood if you use a hammer. That will help protect the finish. A few gentle taps are better than one big one.
Rodney
Old 12-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here ya go Cathy....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504173[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504174[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Congrats on a nice machine and kudos to Alawai for helping you find it.
You should be able to straighten the cover plate pretty easily. Cushion it with a soft cloth and a block of wood if you use a hammer. That will help protect the finish. A few gentle taps are better than one big one.
Rodney
Thank you Rodney. I was thinking I should remove it and lay it upside down on a flat surface to do this. There isn't much chrome... if any..left so I would imagine I don't have to worry about that peeling off? I was trying to figure if it instead should be heated and flattened....like by a blacksmith or?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Banned

Suggestions for the bent metal issue.

First, you really should not strike the metal with a hammer directly. Second the bend seems to have occurred at the pivot, in fact the pivot area looks "dished" from the bend and subsequent rotations.

"I" would start by looking at the underside and determining if it can be removed easily. They assembled it, it should be able to be disassembled.

Once removed place the plate upside down on a smooth hard surface, and then strike the back side with a piece of hardwood. I would use a hammer to strike the hardwood and let the hardwood strike the metal. (Saves on damage to the final piece)

If you have a rawhide mallet or wood hammer that would be ok to strike the plate directly (once removed)
Old 12-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Suggestions for the bent metal issue.

First, you really should not strike the metal with a hammer directly. Second the bend seems to have occurred at the pivot, in fact the pivot area looks "dished" from the bend and subsequent rotations.

"I" would start by looking at the underside and determining if it can be removed easily. They assembled it, it should be able to be disassembled.

Once removed place the plate upside down on a smooth hard surface, and then strike the back side with a piece of hardwood. I would use a hammer to strike the hardwood and let the hardwood strike the metal. (Saves on damage to the final piece)

If you have a rawhide mallet or wood hammer that would be ok to strike the plate directly (once removed)
Ok, good. That is how I will proceed. Yes Steve there is a small nut on the underside....I haven't tried to remove that yet....almost all of the screws have rust on them and are frozen so I will have to work some magic on them but I am confident I will be able to remove the plate. I have a rubber mallet but don't see that as helping. I do usually use a block of wood in order to protect the surface I am hitting.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 PM

Congratulations on your Two SPool! I inherited one from my husband's great-grandmother! I'm still working on getting the cabinet worked on -- it's not in really bad condition, but it needs work -- no veneer missing or anything like that -- just very much in need of a good cleaning, etc. I'm really happy for you!

Jeanette
Old 12-31-2014, 07:21 AM

I've been trying to research this two spool model and there isn't a huge amt of info. I cannot determine if this Natl has any similarities with any of the other Natl models and whether parts are interchangeable. Is anyone aware of a service manual that would work with this machine?