Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again. >

Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again.

Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Red face Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again.

LOL as the title implies, I went to the thrift and brought home another stray. Of course it's a Kenmore. *wink* yep. This makes my fourth Kenmore machine, my fifth total. The last one being a Singer Graduate. This machine apparently is a German Made Kreitzer, badged as a Sears Kenmore:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417425[/ATTACH]
This isn't the photo of my machine, it's one I found on the internet.

I just dragged my new baby in to the house so photos tomorrow before i start cleaning it. It came with a cabinet and several bobbins (different sizes) so i'll have to figure out which one it takes. Eight feet, the instruction manual, several different cams. A little metal tin, a tiny brush and several doohickies and bent needles, Buttons a zipper and oddly enough an old scooby doo comic book (little brother claimed that).

Just from looking it over, it needs a new bobbin ring, a good cleaning/oiling, it needs a rewire because the plug only has a little cardboard over the plug to keep the wires from being exposed. One of the thread posts (there's two) is bent and i need to figure out how to fix that without breaking it.

The cabinet is a light oak with two leaves that flip open like a book. The left side being longer than the right side. When those are open then you can swing the machine in to place.

If you're curious here's a bit more that i've found out about this new beauty. : http://mivintagesewingmachines.blogs...re-117841.html
Attached Thumbnails kenmore_gritzner_117.841.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Thank you- this is really an interesting machine. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your newest acquisition.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 AM

foufymaus,

That is a nice machine. I like it. When you get more pics, please show where the cams go and what they look like if you can.
I still have a set I'm trying to ID.

The little cardboard disk over the wires in the plug is normal. Nothing wrong with it. Those are still used in many styles of plugs, especially the retro vintage ones, and have been used for generations. I make my own as most of the machines I get don't have anything covering the wires in the plugs at all.

Joe
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Hello again!

First of all my apologies for the size of the photos. They are rather large. I'll limit how many photos I'll post here and just create an Imgur Album http://imgur.com/a/sYF8a (<-more photos) you can look at. Also ignore the mess behind the sewing cabinet. We're in the process of spring cleaning and things are messy. HAHA.

Well after i went through a thread monster i found in one of the drawers. I found I purchased more than I thought I did. Lets see, I think I counted 15 different presser foot(feet), and a total of 9 different Cam's for a total of 18 different stitches this machine is capable of. I really only bought the machine for the ruffler (pleater?) foot. I wanted to buy one at Jo-Anne's but they were asking, I think $15. bucks. It also came with the instruction manual!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417488[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417487[/ATTACH]

As you can see I got everything in the pic for the low low price of $25. That include the cabinet, the machine, all the feet. So i'd say i'm rather pleased with what i ended up getting.

Some of the photos are blurry, especially the front facing one. But it does look like the one in the photo above so i figured i'm safe. There are some close up of it's innards. The ruler i placed so you can see how big the cams are. As you can see the front badge of the Kenmore folds down so you can get to the cam:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417489[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417480[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417481[/ATTACH]

Here is the bent thread thingy i had first posted about:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417483[/ATTACH]

This is the flattened bobbin wheel too. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417486[/ATTACH]

What i didn't post and totally spazzed about when i was taking the photos was the great texture of the door that opened to reveal the sewing arm. It's almost a woven basket type texture. Next time I'll definitely capture that.

This is the SN Plate:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417490[/ATTACH]
Here's her tender underbelly:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417491[/ATTACH]

She's an old girl who's roots lie in Western Germany. *nods* yup, she never knew a unified Germany until after the wall fell in '89.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417492[/ATTACH]

So... continued in the next post. I need more photo space. LOL
Attached Thumbnails hoochkx.jpg   61tjfb4.jpg   mcqibzd.jpg   ojlopug.jpg   wdaq7zz.jpg  

fej9z7p.jpg   p8rd2x6.jpg   gc3aij0.jpg   3m8s1ng.jpg   ouwdhk9.jpg  

Last edited by foufymaus; 06-06-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Hey Joe,
Here's a couple of photos with cams.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417503[/ATTACH]
Cam in the machine.

This one is all 9
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417493[/ATTACH]

This photo is only of 6 of them, that was before i tackled a thread monster that was strangling the ruffler/pleater foot. It's a pic of both front and back. So side 1 and 2.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]417496[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417499[/ATTACH]

I put the ruler down, so it can show ya how big they really are. I hope this helps with identification of your cams.

Entire IMGUR Album here http://imgur.com/a/sYF8a
Attached Thumbnails msubjga.jpg   0dxb8sz.jpg   rtve6ha.jpg   pjejrfvh.jpg  

Last edited by foufymaus; 06-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 PM

foufymaus ............... Umm, what is a foufymaus????? I've been dying to ask that, I can't resist, I gotta know. Please

You got a darling machine. My wife and I both like it. Once you get it cleaned and lubed please let us know how it sews.
Your cams don't match the ones we have. Someday we'll find out what they fit.

Joe
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM

LOL foufymaus, is a nickname i was saddled with when i was in the X Files fandom.

When the X Files was on the air they had an Official message board, one of the very first that was online and focused on a TV show. We were the online crazies that modern online tv crazies followed. *wink* Well i signed up and it asked for an anonymous online name to go by. Well me being the sarcastic teen i was made my email a_nonny_maus_2000 at yahoo, then just shortened it to a_maus for the screen name. My friend (still friends with to this day) Mulderpause. I used to pop in and out of threads, and she said it was almost like a mouse 'fluffing/foofing' up and removing dust from it's fur. hence the fouf, lol i just added the Y and it's kinda been my online name since 1999. I pronounce it as foofie-mouse. Thus my online persona was born. haha.

If ya ever come across it on other message boards. It's most likely me.

I'll definitely let ya know when i get this old dirty gal cleaned and spiffied up! I seriously can't wait to play with her cams... <-- wow that was a strange sentence to type. haha. I also have a set of random cams that don't seem to fit my machines. They're orange-ish i think... i do know they're meant for Sears. I might have to post another thread for them. lol I figured eventually a machine that it's made for will turn up.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM

foufymaus,

That is a fun story. I was a fan of the X Flies too, but then we didn't have a computer.

Those orange Sears / Kenmore cams probably go to a 158- 17xxx series machines.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM

I love the color of the machine.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
foufymaus,

That is a fun story. I was a fan of the X Flies too, but then we didn't have a computer.

Those orange Sears / Kenmore cams probably go to a 158- 17xxx series machines.
Oh Yay!! Thanks! Now i gotta find a Kenmore 158-17xxx series to go with them. LOL