Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 AM
Power Poster

The motor was fastened to the Redeye's motor boss. It swings away when you want to put the machine away. Someone managed to foul things with the motor and the lift so that the machine would not go all the way up. We had to dis-assemble quite a bit to get her free. Here is the motor:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451084[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-11-16-motor-008.jpg   singer-11-16-motor-009.jpg  
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 AM

I have a Viking 6020 on my bench that I think has a sticky shaft or gear in its transmission, so I’m going to be learning more about a Viking transmission. It has considerable belt dust going on with it, but I need to make sure there are no broken parts in the transmission before I worry much about the belt. I don’t see many Vikings.

I installed a speed reducer on the shop Consew 225 combination feed industrial last evening. Wrestling with that industrial head and power stand gave me a few aches and pains that I’m feeling this morning. Test operation indicated that the installation will work, and will give us a lot more slow-end speed control that’s been needed for the short-run type stitching that we do with that machine. Seldom do we sew more than a few inches before we need to make a turn or the stitch line is completed. I can’t wait to do a project on it to give it a real test. I know my wife will like it tamed down a little too. She’s been handling it ok for 7 years without a runaway, but she has always been concerned about it getting away from her.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

I fiddled with an Electro Grand Japanese badged with cams (cams missing) Some of it is not intuitive. There is a dial on the front either doesn't work right or I am missing something. I'm sure when I post a picture someone here will know. But that isn't what I had to do. It was not turning. I started oiling and came to the nose area - there was thread wrapped around the some of the moving parts or not so moving parts. I got the thread and a ton of lint out and the machine turns nice. Then it was missing the bobbin case and the needle clamp so I dug through parts and fixed that. I set the tensions and the machine stitches a nice stitch. I also had to free up the feed dog drop & buttons. Now I need to figure out how the cams and zz work. What is B - A - M - it has to do with the cams but nothing stands out at me on this machine. The zz dial side levers seem to be a bit gooey inside, too. There is a cam in there but the stitch did not resemble the cam at all. The cam is seated as far as that goes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451280[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails electro-003.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-11-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The motor was fastened to the Redeye's motor boss. It swings away when you want to put the machine away. Someone managed to foul things with the motor and the lift so that the machine would not go all the way up. We had to dis-assemble quite a bit to get her free. Here is the motor:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451084[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451085[/ATTACH]
Finished repairing similar motor, cleaned up the armature on a mini-lathe, replaced shot wiring, a little cluging on the reversing contacts and brush holders. As much as I had trepidations about working on this motor, it actually went okay. I put it on a Variac and turned up the voltage, and it ran fine. Then hooked it up to it's original foot control.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451534[/ATTACH] I put it back together and had a wee bit of stitch trouble, due to bobbin tension. On a whim, I decided to look and see if one of those little discs of lint had formed in the bottom of the shuttle bobbin case, like what happened on my 127 and 128. Sure enough, picked it out of there and cleaned the end out with Q-tip and alcohol and the bobbin tension smoothed out! 3 out of 3. Grab a flashlight and look down those shuttle bobbin cases, maybe you'll see a similar situation! I took a short video of the New Home Free Running, running cause I was so happy!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails 2013-12-12-18.19.51.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Aren't those old motors cool? Mine does not have a cool foot petal - it looks like somebody changed it out.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:23 AM

I got the Viking 6020 sewing again. The transmission was kind of “stuck in neutral” with no damaged parts. The set screws had backed off of the BW shaft. I’m sending it back out with the existing belt on it. It’s still got some life in it.

I got to do a small job with my Consew 225 that is freshly outfitted with a Speed Reducer. I sewed an embroidered patch onto the front of a baseball-style cap. It’s like having a completely different machine! The added control is wonderful.

I cut out some recycled billboard vinyl to make of couple of small hip bags for my grandsons, and planned to sew them up with my Singer 31-15 treadle one day this week, but it’s been a little too cold in my bike shop to enjoy messing with them. We’ve had snow on the ground and below freezing temps for over a week straight, which is really unusual for here, and I have the bike shop curtained off from the rest of the house so it only gets enough heat to protect the water system to the clothes washer and water heater.

It’s supposed to warm back up in the next few days, so once I finish the hip bags, I want to start disassembly of the rusty Adler 205-64 to see if I can get it cleaned back up and working. I gave it an oil soak over a week ago, so it should be ready to start removing screws and parts. I’ve never messed with a stitcher this big, so I’m anxious to get into it. It will make a really nice addition to my machine herd if I can get it going.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine32_35.jpg   machine32_36.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Once you get into the big machine you will see that it is about the same as anything else.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Once you get into the big machine you will see that it is about the same as anything else.
i got a big machine project also. it's a singer 16-188 that i got for practically for free. i have oiled it and looks to be running smooth and have not tried it with motor running. i still need to get some minor parts. i tried the motor and it's running good also. i am currently refinishing the cabinet/table.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I have a 241 I tried to sell. I kept testing it and decided to keep it - I just love it. The motor is noisy but the machine just whispers. It still needs a set of corks for the oil pan and I am not liking the old belt. People kept wanting one that sews leather. I haven't tried it at extremely high speeds but it goes as fast as I can keep up with out any effort.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 AM

I finally got around to trying one of my combination feed machines in my industrial treadle today. I’ve got a little project in the works (sewing a leather western belt to billboard vinyl) that is probably more than JR (Singer 31-15) will want to handle. So, since Ol’ Dirty (Singer 111W153) was setting on the airtable out of his power stand, I stuck him into my MUTTIN to see how things looked.

I had to adjust the knee lift stops to get the lift finger out of the way under the machine. The lift won’t work for the larger machines anyway, since it’s a different setup. I walked the leather drive belt on and it’s tighter than on JR, so I’ve probably stretched it out of shape for JR now, but I can shorten it easily.

I could treadle Ol’ Dirty fairly easily with nothing under the needle but air, but when I put some leather scraps about the thickness of the belt (hand tooled on Oak Tanned leather) under the feet, it takes too much effort to keep the treadle going. I was pushing hard enough that I became concerned about breaking the pitman rod ear off, so I quit. I might be able to treadle Ol’ Dirty for sewing vinyl, but not dense leather. That was what I wanted to find out. The too-tight belting could have a little to do with it, but it’s probably better than a too-loose one for leather.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine407c_41.jpg   machine407c_42.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter