Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 03-03-2015, 01:44 PM

Very nice! I love my401 even without the case.
Rodney
Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Wow! That case is pristine clean!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks peeps. If I didn't already have half a dozen slant o matics I would consider keeping her but I really am more fond of my Rockateers. It just tickles me to use them. When I show them off people really do go crazy for them because they are so cool looking.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:05 PM

This IS cheap entertainment. The Kenmore 1217 was binding when the needle entered the shuttle area so I leaned the machine back to see. And then my cousin who is visiting joined in to see. And then my husband joined in to see. Knobs were turned and levers were pulled. The shuttle got taken out, a tiny bit of rust cleaned out of the bottom of that spot, the shuttle got put back in, the binding got better. I still do not really know what I am looking at with a vertical bobbin so I cannot say if its timing is off, yet.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM

I still have “Old Gem”, my German Singer 111G156 (that I got from the family of friend and lifetime upholsterer “Jim” here in town), inside in the Bike Shop for the winter while the power stand for it languishes out in the cold shed. A few days ago, I put the steering wheel spinner knob (suicide knob) on it that had been on the Singer 95-40 while I was experimenting with that machine using large jean hemming thread. After completing my test stitches on re-hemming jeans, I hadn’t planned on using the 95-40 for a while, and I thought there might be a time when I would want to handcrank a combination feed machine for something.

Sure enough, today, I had a leather/vinyl project come up that I needed a freearm to get to where I needed to repair failing Tex90 (large thread) stitches. The purse handles on a purse (that had not been put on correctly to begin with) needed resewn to get a little more life out of the purse. I couldn’t bend the purse enough to use a flatbed machine on it. I tried my Singer 29K70 on it, but the stitches weren’t going to be long enough to match the original stitching. I really wanted to use the old holes for my new stitch line to keep from piercing new holes into the handle tabs, making a weak attachment system even weaker.

So, my thoughts turned to Old Gem. By using him as a tabletop machine, I was able to bend the purse down and under the bed of the machine to get to where I needed to sew. I’m sure glad Miriam let me in on how handy Brodie Knobs are on sewing machines! I’ve got three machines fitted with them now, and they can be easily removed and mounted onto another machine in just minutes. For slow sewing, especially for repairs, they’re just the thing!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine544_18a.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I wish I could fit one on my old industrial. A friend of mine just welded an auger handle on his clutch knob some how. It worked. He could take the clutch knob off and put it back to what ever else he wanted.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 AM

I'm centering the needle and straightening the presser foot on a Singer 401A this morning. I got the needle centered front to back and with the way the eccentric works that completely threw off the side to side, so that's next. I had to spray the screws with penetrating oil and would love to add some heat with a hairdryer but my grandson is sleeping. Well, everyone is sleeping except me!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM

Woohoo! I worked on my Pfaff 332 yesterday. It's coming along. That broken light switch? I fixed it. Yeah. I feel good. I had to really tear into it to get to the switch and then found a nice springy push button replacement in with my spare parts. That part of the machine looks as good as new! I got the bottom back together and gave it some testing last night and it was all good. I also freed up the stitch length knob.

I was also cleaning up a spare table-gluing loose veneers and patching a small spot. I am intending to put my Pfaff 130 into the table for now, I am still hoping to find the smaller original Pfaff style table for it down the road. I was torn between two tables I might use. One is in decent working order but it looks like someone put a gloss coat over it. The other has damage to that inside front lip and would need a lifter to the right of the machine. While I was searching through my parts bins I found a spare lifter! Yay! Now I have choices!

I've learned how to do so much in the last year I am really pleased. I used to be afraid of electricity--wiring and all that. Now I have the knowledge to fix things like this. It's a good feeling. * and thank goodness for my spare parts! That was a great windfall for me when I made that first big buy. I didn't realize how handy that would be down the road. I have found and used spool holder parts and motors, foot controls, dual socket boxes, tension parts and more.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
... would love to add some heat with a hairdryer but my grandson is sleeping. Well, everyone is sleeping except me!
I have a small butane powered "pen" soldering iron, that has replaceable tips and one of the tips is a "hot air" tip for use primarily on heat shrink tubing. It has a 3/32 tip so it puts the heat exactly where you want and it is SILENT Lots of brands out there from Harbor Freight to Weller ($20-$150)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 AM

That sounds pretty cool Steve! I need to get myself to Harbor Freight for some fun shopping!

FREE Quilting Newsletter