Old bernina 730

Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
You did get that at a steal of a price. Wow. Even $10 would have been a good deal. I love my 830 Record. Can't imagine why your 730 wouldn't sew as well. I love doing FMQing on my 830. The case that houses the feet and accessories is pretty cool too. Enjoy!
What is cool about that case is that it swings out while it is still attached off to the far right and everything is where you can just grab it. I had never seen this model of bernina. My record that I gifted was ten years newer and had all this built in. It really should make as great a stitch and be as easy to use for me. I had the 830 to sew on up until 12 years ago when hubby got me the Artista 200 with upgrades. Then I bought the Aurora 440QE with the stitch regulator and I use those two all the time. But, I missed the electronic one. So, when I saw this, I about did a happy dance right in the store! LOL...
Old 06-26-2014, 05:53 AM

Good for you. I don't think you did any stealing--you just got an awesome deal!! And then to get more off was even better. Enjoy!! :>)
Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 AM

WOW!!! You did awesome! You couldn't even buy a single presser foot for $7. Congratulations!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 AM

I love Bernina's, you got such a great deal.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM

I just bought one this week too! Didn't get it for your price but still cheap at $15. One question on the buttonhole sewing control knob. In your picture it is pushed down. Mine is stuck in the down position and I am not sure how to get it unstuck. Hoping you or someone will know about this machine as it doesn't look like whatever is stuck is on the inside of the machine but with the knob itself. Might end up helping you too. I read this is a common problem but easy to fix with oil and blow dryer. Just not sure where to put it!!! Congratulations on your score!

Lisa
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM

Lisa, the lever is known for being problematic and sticking. Her photo actually shows it in the "up" position. Mine is stuck in the up position as well. I've tried every product and have tried several methods and none have worked. Some people do have success, but mine is not cooperative. The only way for me to get it unstuck is to dismantle the knob from the machine and I've done that once and I won't do that on a Bernina again if it's not absolutely necessary. And really this lever that you pull down isn't needed for the buttonhole. It's nice, but you can control the width yourself and it's not a "must".

It's very common for this lever to be broken if forced, so I would warn you to be very careful in your treatment of it. That's why I accepted it's stubbornness. Replacements would only come from donor machines and it's such a pain to do, it wouldn't be cheap to have someone do it for you. So, give the hair dryer and Triflow a chance but mine has not budged after many, many treatments!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Candace,
Thanks for the reply but I am still not certain if I should put the Tri-Flow on the knob itself or somewhere inside the machine. Mine is also stuck in the up position so I have put the oil on the knob and tried the blow dryer but not that many times. If the oil is to go inside the machine let me know otherwise I will know I am doing what I'm suppose to. Thanks again I appreciate the help very much.

Lisa
Old 06-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Lisa, Is the knob stuck or the lever? Or both?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I tested mine out this morning and the knob is stuck on mine too. While I was sitting there I realized that you can make one with out the maker. All you do is with the needle in the left setting, run a thin line of satin stitching as long as the button hole you want, stop and click it to number 2 and do the tack, turn you whole work, lift the needle and change the needle position to the right, do the line of satin stitching, turn to number 2 setting, tack, and then to 0 and machine knot it. I haven't tried it, but why wouldn't it work?

When I was watching the U Tube instructional video, the man mentioned something about how the fix is done on the knob. I wasn't paying enough attention but it is there for anyone to see. Just google bernina 730 instructional video and it comes up.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I went and found it for us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwSAUqE962o