Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Miz Johnny 02-25-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Miz Johnny, not sure if you remember, but I have an Elna Supermatic like yours in your avatar pic. I have to go through it, and need a knee control. Does yours take the folding or bayonet knee control? I can't tell from the connector at the front of the machine. Thanks!

Mine is folding. Is there a metal piece that comes out of the front of the machine? If so, the folding control attaches to it by a screw.

BoJangles 02-25-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Here's the one I bought a couple of weeks ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Wow! I remember this! Very cute machine with the skinniest little slide plates!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-25-2011 05:10 PM

Mine is folding. Is there a metal piece that comes out of the front of the machine? If so, the folding control attaches to it by a screw.

Miz Johnny do you know where I can get a threading diagram for my New Home T No 3 machine? Or better yet, do you have something like the T No 3 that you can thread and post a picture of that funny face plate with the long wire that runs all the way down the front?

Nancy

BoJangles 02-25-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I need help with my featherweight, my patience is wearing very thin. LOL it atarted skipping stitches. i cleaned, oiled etc, it sewed for about ten minutes. DH cleaned, oiled, etc. i changed needle. have threaded and rethreaded, still skipps, even worse. it looks to me like the bobbin is the issue. the thread does not 'loop' around the bobbin case only once in several stitches. im thinking it is ssome dumb thing i am doing wrong, or missing. PLEASE help put me out of my misery. thanks.

Buslady, is the little arm of the bobbin hook/race thingy in the slide plate slot? Is the needle in correctly - flat side to the left? Is the needle threaded correctly - from right to left. Those machines are so well made, it has to be something simple. What size thread are you using - 50 wt? Kathie was using a larger weight embroidery thread on her Featherweight that did not work well. Does your bobbin roll counter clockwise in the bobbin case when you hold the bobbin case in your left hand and pull on the thread with your right hand after threading the bobbin case? Is the bobbin case threaded properly? You already changed needles, so that shouldn't be the issue - but, to me it sounds like the needle is not threaded from the right direction, which would make the machine not pick up the bobbin thread correctly, or the needle is inserted wrong.

Nancy

buslady 02-25-2011 05:53 PM

i've checked all that, thrice! it is driving me nuts. i did get new bobbins, i did try a couple different ones to no avail. is it possible that Rosie just doesn' like the new ones? ive heard this discussion before. what do you think?

luv2learn 02-25-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn

Miz Johnny, could you show us newbies what a Vesta looks like? Thanx!

Here's the one I bought a couple of weeks ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Thanx Miz Johnny, That is a very cute machine. . looks brand new and the case is gorgeous!! I am constantly amazed at the many many different brands and type of machines which have been made. It's very interesting where the tension control is located. I would love to have a chance to see how each one threads and sews. It makes me wish I had realized there was such a variety and developed an interest in them when I was younger so I could have learned more about them. It seems I can't pack enough info in my head fast enough and just can't get enough of looking at them!! Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and machines with us. Brenda

QuiltnCowgirl 02-25-2011 06:41 PM

i've checked all that, thrice! it is driving me nuts. i did get new bobbins, i did try a couple different ones to no avail. is it possible that Rosie just doesn' like the new ones? ive heard this discussion before. what do you think?

That's a possibility. Do you have an old one you can try?

nwm50 02-25-2011 06:52 PM

pertaining to the fw question....my white one just started doing that the other day also...but i was already sewing when it suddenly skipped stitches or the thread breaking at the same time, so i just shut it down and will look later. I didn't changed needle yet but it could be due for a new one? Hope you can solve the probelm.

irishrose 02-25-2011 08:41 PM

buslady, are you using a Singer needle? My 301A acted like that free motion quilting with a Schmetz needle. She had been fine with the Singer. I changed the needle and she acted up. The instructor said to try a new Singer. It worked.

BoJangles 02-25-2011 10:06 PM

First, I'd find an original bobbin, it seems some of the old machines like old bobbins. Second what kind of needle are you using? I'd use a Schmetz Sharp 80 or 70 not something larger. Are you sure you threaded in right to left and inserted the needle all the way up with the flat side to the left?

Also, did you take the bobbin slide plate off and make sure there is no thread caught in there. You need to look from the top side and take the cover off the bottom and look from the bottom too. There may be a little thread wound up around the hook/race thing that is causing the skipped stitches.

Nancy