Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 03-31-2012 06:29 PM

Charlee what is the date on this machine. It has some wear (scratches on the bed and the arm) that look like it may not be clear coated with shellac.

Charlee 03-31-2012 06:32 PM

1951 201-2

Glenn 03-31-2012 06:34 PM

Charlee take some alcohol on the back arm and see if it softens the finish if not then you have somethng else. If it does then we will proceed.

Charlee 03-31-2012 06:35 PM

It softens...can tell you that from what I've already done...and when it was flaking off, it was brown, like the old shellac would do...

Glenn 03-31-2012 06:45 PM

Ok Charlee continue this tech until all surface is the same and smooth and blended. Stay way from the decals your clear coat of shellac is very thin. After you do this then we need to apply shellac to protect everything. I can see spots like water spots on the arm. This is and indication the machine was stored in a very hot place at some time. Try if you can get the spots to go away by this melting and blending. It will look better when we apply the shellac.
You may need to get some rest first.

Charlee 03-31-2012 06:48 PM

I will do that Skip...and I think I'm done for tonight...I really am tired....cranky...and a bit impatient. Not a good combination for something like this...

:)

Glenn 03-31-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5106337)
I will do that Skip...and I think I'm done for tonight...I really am tired....cranky...and a bit impatient. Not a good combination for something like this...

:)

Good night, I am outa here to Skip

vintagemotif 03-31-2012 06:53 PM

Laura, Please post pictures of the machine that you are working on.
I'm interested in seeing your results too!

Glenn, you state that Charlee's machine doesn't look like it has shellac. How can we tell before hand on our machines? Or is it discovered after trial with the alcohol?

I have a Singer 9W that I was planning to give this a try. Also have a Davis NVF that would be my second machine to test. I'm wondering if the Davis machine's shellac will be different from the Singers. I need to know what to look for in the shellac since I'm not understand the difference.

Thanks!!!! Love the tutorial so far.

Monroe 03-31-2012 07:02 PM

I've been following this. Thank you for the great information! I won't be trying this for a month or two, but I have a question. I have 2 very old sewing chairs with a dark brown finish that gets gummy and tacky in warm weather. I 'm guessing I can clean them up the same as a treadle cabinet. Is it shellac or varnish that gets sticky in humid weather?

Charlee 03-31-2012 07:25 PM

Hey Monica...did you happen to notice that Skip's showin' off his "drawers" AGAIN?? :D :D :D