Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

grannysewer 10-19-2010 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I would love to have a Red eye that isn't a rusted mess.
Any old machines in this area are usually rusted and expensive or if they're not rusted they are $300+

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist. I have 2 red-eyes that came in beautiful cabinets that I bought in the early part of the year, it's almost as if people were clearing out their "junk" after the New Year. I still see them in the CL ads that are selling sewing machine cabinets and the red-eye machine is thrown in as an afterthought.

I bought this pink Atlas today at SA, thinking it was the same one I saw on Cl ad. But called about the one on CL and it was still for sale. I live in a small town and couldn't believe there would be 2 of the same machine for sale the same day. I think she is very pretty, haven't tried to sew with her yet or cleaned her up. Will probably do that tomorrow.

Atlas sewing machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105841[/ATTACH]

close up of name plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105845[/ATTACH]

cabbagepatchkid 10-19-2010 06:43 PM

Wow!! So-o-o pretty! :D I have never heard of that brand, yet, but it's amazing how much thought went into making these old SM's so gorgeous! Did you end up buying the other one? You could have a matching set--twins!

grannysewer 10-19-2010 06:47 PM

Thanks, No, I decided one was enough. I'm in dog house already for getting another "old" machine. I've got to find a manual for her and figure out how to thread it. The case is musty and there is old oil to get off too.

purplefiend 10-19-2010 06:48 PM

I bought this pink Atlas today at SA, thinking it was the same one I saw on Cl ad. But called about the one on CL and it was still for sale. I live in a small town and couldn't believe there would be 2 of the same machine for sale the same day. I think she is very pretty, haven't tried to sew with her yet or cleaned her up. Will probably do that tomorrow.[/quote]

The Atlas is a nice machine, sews great! A friend of mine has one and she loves it, just wishes it were lighter. :roll:
Needs a forklift to transport it too and from the car.

Lostn51 10-19-2010 06:53 PM

That is a PRETTY Atlas!!!

I bought two machines today myself but I will be servicing them and listing them for sale in the classifieds. I got an early 60's White that is a two-tone paint job and a 1948 Kenmore 95. Both are in their cabinets but I will pull them out and put them in bases to make them portable. Both are really nice machines and were very well taken care of.

Billy

Lostn51 10-19-2010 07:44 PM

Here is a neat little machine you do not see many of and it looks to be complete!

Ebay number 120636242577

Billy

purplefiend 10-19-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a neat little machine you do not see many of and it looks to be complete!

Ebay number 120636242577

Billy

That's a heavy machine for its size. If I recall correctly it weighs about 30#.

Lostn51 10-19-2010 08:56 PM

I had the opportunity to buy one not to long ago for $25 and passed but it didnt have the case with it.

Billy

Lacelady 10-20-2010 01:58 AM

Have you seen this FW on ebay? I love the bit of history that goes with it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTABLE-1949-SI...86732414480320

Lostn51 10-20-2010 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Have you seen this FW on ebay? I love the bit of history that goes with it.

If it could be documented I would buy it for me. I have several of her pinups in my attic waiting to be put up in the new addition of the studio. I had them in my office at my other home along with a lot of other memorabilia.

Billy