Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 01-30-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I talked to my favorite sewing person and about bobbins for my 66. Yes, Nancy I am talking about you. Nancy told me to never use plastic bobbins in it. Singer gave me a phone number of a man who has parts. I called him for missing parts and to order bobbins. He told me to never use metal bobbins and to only use plastic because metal will ruin my machine. I am confused. Any imput from anyone? Kathie

How could he tell you metal would ruin your machine? When they started making the 66 they did not have plastic bobbins? I say use a good quality bobbin, plastic or metal, that works in your machine. I don't use plastic in my 66, but mine is a 1914 machine -- there were no plastic bobbins then.

Miz Johnny, Billy, anyone else have an opinion? I am curious too as I was told to never use plastic bobbins in my 66!

Nancy

I read somewhere metal machine metal bobbin, plastic machine plastic bobbin. My 66-1 hates the plastic bobbins and hates the newer metal bobbins, only likes the vintage ones. All my vintages machines are that way too. Find yourself a vintage bobbin, but also make sure you have the correct one for the 66.

Kathie S. 01-30-2011 12:12 PM

Find yourself a vintage bobbin, but also make sure you have the correct one for the 66.[/quote]

How do can I tell if it is a vinyage bobbin and the correct one? Kathie

Donna Mare 01-30-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Wow.. what a beauty you have!! Great paint on it too! I picked up another one yesterday... but the paint is not good.. everything moves... but dang paint.

I do a lot of repaints for these machines and the Featherweights and I use only automotive paint for the finish. Its durable you can get any color you can dream about, and the care and upkeep is really simple. Never turn away a machine because it looks like it has seen better days, I have flipped them into some of the prettiest machines out there.

And $50 was a great deal for on in the cabinet that you have!!

Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer

WOW is all I can say about your repaint..what did you do to prep it? Is there a link to clean everything up? Wow.. amazing...

ANND. I got another one today... wowser what a day. The cabinet has some problems, the long draw is not good at all, it's in pieces... ..the paint is on the singer is badddddd.. so $25 was my price.. I really like it.. I am a wee bit handy with woodwork so think I can make a front draw drop.. Oh.. I have a pic of it..

So..is there a place about how to clean these aall up?
BTW... the pic of my previous post..the numbers are..
well.here what I wrote down for my notes.. Antique 1912 Singer treadle sewing machine. Made in Elizabeth, NJ, its number is G1714467.

the new one.. I havent got that far yet. Just got home ...stopped at a thrift shop sale and errr.uhmm.. 2 bags of fabric ..for $5. and 3 ties..I want to make a man's tie wall hanging. saved the pic of one done in ties a week or so ago.. I like different.. Ok.. enough. Here is the pic of my newest kid..sending in next email.

cabbagepatchkid 01-30-2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Billy, Did you see this one too! You can get two!
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/atq/2179321183.html

They are coming out of the woodwork :mrgreen: !!!! I got my parlor cabinet around this same time last year. I think people are starting their spring cleaning and want to get rid of the big stuff.

tomilu 01-30-2011 12:29 PM

Another treadle on CL near Wichita. Singer Red Eye in plain cabinet for $30
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2188490502.html

grannysewer 01-30-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
I was just checking those out because I saw one on Craigslist. The NL models were made in the 1980's. They are a real 15-91 but not one of the vintage ones. The one that I saw on Craigslist was for $35.00 and I would have bought it (just because the decals were so gorgeous) but it was too far from me.

Here is the listing for it:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/art/2176327487.html

Ah well... Did singer ever make reproductions of other models?

Yes, the sewing repair shop here has a Singer Treadle that is a reproduction of the Lotus (I think the Lotus if I remember right). It has the same look as most of the reproduction machines, the decals have an Asian look - trying to imitate the very old real ones. I don't care for the look, a little over the top, but I don't care for imitations anyway. The machines are not made with the same workmanship as the vintage machines either. The treadle I saw would never last 100 years, probably not 50 years. The machines are mostly plastic, won't last either.

Nancy

A friend of mine got a singer "reproduction" syphinx at a yard sale for 10 bucks, but you're right its way over the top for decorations. Bobbie

Donna Mare 01-30-2011 12:47 PM

Ok.. shots of my Sunday Singer.. work work work..

I have not looked the date up yet..but the numbers are...

18770114 I believe... the number after the 7s might be a 6 ..and way at the end..there seems to be a little 4. I took a picture of it.. To save.. anyhow..here is Sunday Singer. Quite a box of additions with it..loaded..and a couple books...

Miz Johnny 01-30-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Billy, Did you see this one too! You can get two!
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/atq/2179321183.html

Hope someone here grabs that one.

Miz Johnny 01-30-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I talked to my favorite sewing person and about bobbins for my 66. Yes, Nancy I am talking about you. Nancy told me to never use plastic bobbins in it. Singer gave me a phone number of a man who has parts. I called him for missing parts and to order bobbins. He told me to never use metal bobbins and to only use plastic because metal will ruin my machine. I am confused. Any imput from anyone? Kathie

How could he tell you metal would ruin your machine? When they started making the 66 they did not have plastic bobbins? I say use a good quality bobbin, plastic or metal, that works in your machine. I don't use plastic in my 66, but mine is a 1914 machine -- there were no plastic bobbins then.

Miz Johnny, Billy, anyone else have an opinion? I am curious too as I was told to never use plastic bobbins in my 66!

Nancy

I use whatever ones work. I can say I never use newer bobbins in my 201, because it won't make a decent stitch with a crappy bobbin!! I would prefer the plastic ones to modern metal, but the old metal ones are just fine.

Donna Mare 01-30-2011 12:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Ok.. shots of my Sunday Singer.. work work work..

I have not looked the date up yet..but the numbers are...

18770114 I believe... the number after the 7s might be a 6 ..and way at the end..there seems to be a little 4. I took a picture of it.. To save.. anyhow..here is Sunday Singer. Quite a box of additions with it..loaded..and a couple books...

Try again..my shots did go.........