Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Questions on my "new" Singer Treadle machine >

Questions on my "new" Singer Treadle machine

Questions on my "new" Singer Treadle machine

Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Questions on my "new" Singer Treadle machine

I finally bought a Singer treadle machine like my Mom had when I was a little girl (she sewed in the bathroom cause it was the only space available!) The table is in pretty good shape and the machine is "all there" except for maybe the cover plate over the bobbin and the thread spindle. The main belt is broken--it came with a leather one that was stapled together, but broken in another spot. It included two of the nifty fold-out wood boxes of accessories and bobbins (I think one is all that came with the machine and these 2 boxes duplicate most attachments/feet). It has a bobbin in the machine, which helps with knowing how to thread it. But I would love to find a manual/threading instructions--not that I think I'll use it a lot, but you never know when you'll lose electrical power! Mostly I bought for the nostalgia factor--and I am still under my limit of single digits in machine numbers! The # on it is G7803950 which I think means it's an early Model 15--any information/advice is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

The best thing to do first is to positively identify the model of your machine. Google "singer treadle sewing machine" and click on "images" to identify your machine from photographs. Once you know your model, you should be able to Google for a sewing machine manual. There are lots of these vintage manuals available for download, about $15, or you can check eBay for a manual. Often you can also find threading diagrams online by Googling. You really need to know the model number, though.

It's pretty easy to find replacement belts online too. Here is a link to one:
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/alp...adle-belt.aspx
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM

There is a forum for "vintage" machines at the top of the main page.
Bet there's people there that can share a wealth of information.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

That number corresponds to a model 127 from 1920. Does it have the bullet shuttle case rather than a round bobbin?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
That number corresponds to a model 127 from 1920. Does it have the bullet shuttle case rather than a round bobbin?
Yes! It does--and these cute little spindle bobbins--which I have at least 6-8 of and looks like I got 2 of the bullet type bobbin cases--think I may have received another machines' feet, etc in that second wooden box of attachments. Thanks for all this info--really helps me get started with this. Any ideas on how to clean the actual machine without harming the lovely decals?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Again, there are websites that show how to clean the vintage machines without damaging decals. It is safe to use sewing machine oil on everything -- I know that much -- but I'm sure there are other tips.

Here is a reliable source for cleaning info:
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...gmachines.html