Singer 648

Old 01-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Singer 648

I just picked this up last Sunday at our local Goodwill. It's a Singer model 648 Touch & Sew with a box full of cams and most of the feet. It even had the chain stitch attachments and a new double needle. All for $6.99 before sales tax. I know some of you don't like them because of the plastic gears but everything seems to move correctly. It does have a few issues before it will sew again though. I need to round up a few bobbins, a new spool holder and a new nose for it. Other than that it appears to be in decent shape. I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting to play with a cam machine since I learned about them.
Here's a couple quick pictures,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails singer-648-001.jpg   singer-648-002.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 PM

The cams and table are worth more than you paid, so score.!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The cams and table are worth more than you paid, so score.!

Super deal!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM

yes. table alone is worth more than you paid for. why don't we have that kind of deal here at my local GW. all their machines are marked 49.99 and up. and they're not even a good sewing machines.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
yes. table alone is worth more than you paid for. why don't we have that kind of deal here at my local GW. all their machines are marked 49.99 and up. and they're not even a good sewing machines.
Same here. I've never see any deals like that at any GW store.

Nice score.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
KLO

Smile

Every time I read a post like this, I wonder why my local GW charges so much for machines. I don't think I have ever seen one below maybe $30.00 but perhaps I just am not there at the right time. Looks like others of you have that same problem. Wouldn't you think GW would have a basic pricing system that is the same across the country? Guess not! I envy you guys those great finds. Too bad, Rodney, that she needs a "nose job" but here's hoping you can find a good "plastic surgeon" to take care of that problem.

Last edited by KLO; 01-01-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Rodney,

Tip it up and pull the bottom off, then check the gears. I've read that some of the 600 series still had metal gears. No idea which ones, but you need to clean and lube the bottom anyway.

Good score on that one.

Joe
Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
Same here at the 3 local GW's around here. Most start at $49.99 and up just the machice along and if they are in a cabinet the starting price is higher and no accessaries included. What gets me is most are missing the bobbin cases, foot peddles and amoung others things, beside many having broken or missing knobs too.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM

The sad thing is there was also an older Newhome straight stitch machine in a decent cabinet for $10 and an empty cabinet for $4 there. I don't have room for more cabinets (and really don't have room for the three in the living room right now) and already have good straight stitchers so I had to leave the Newhome behind.
I think at this Goodwill they've realized the cabinet machines aren't as desired as the portable ones so they price them low to move them out. The last portable machine I saw there was priced at $25 and was gone when I went to check a couple days later. I was waiting for a 1/2 price sale on the tag color to get it. I figure I'll have another $20 or so in getting the 648 looking and running good again but it should be worth it. From the info I've seen on line the 648 will have plastic gears, apparently they switched from metal on the 620 series. Looks like new gear sets are pretty easy to get and are not a terrible amount of money so I'm not going to get too worked up about it. I'm going to wait until all those little details in life like bills are taken care of before I shop for parts. Meanwhile I'll try to find a better place for it and start cleaning and oiling.
IIRC I've seen recommendations to NOT grease or oil the plastic gears in these?
Rodney
Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Our local GW never has decent machines. Once, I saw a beat up, vintage Singer that had decals mostly gone, lying sideways on a shelf. No foot control, no slide plate for $100. Yeah right...