Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Nancy, is this quilt in a book that can be bought? I love it and would love to make it for my soon to be grand daughter (gonna marry my oldest grandson) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I love star quilts. Thanx
Actually, the blocks are from a Block of the Month held in our local quilting store. The Quilt as you Go technique is the way I am finishing the quilt blocks. The two techniques are not related. I could send you copies of the instructions for the quilt blocks. There are 12 blocks, but I made 20 - doubled some. I could also send you copies of how to put it all together with the Quilt as you Go instructions!

Send me a PM with your address is you want the instructions!

Nancy
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM

1937 I think.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes, and my DH won't let me forget it, either. I think he is starting to understand though. He is working on my 201, gonna change the grease as soon as it arrives. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Buslady,
You have a very nice collection of machines. Have fun sewing with your 201!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
You had fun yesterday! I like them both. Fusing makes those curve pieces so much more easier and fun to work with. I want to try a quilt as you go block. Some friends have tried it and liked working with one block over having to wrestle with a large quilt. Very pretty quilts!
Thank you guys for the compliments! Quilt As You Go is a fun way to use your treadles or even the electric vintage machines. You are only working with one block at a time to quilt, but when I finish 4 blocks (the blocks are 17"s square), then you still have to do a little wrestling to attach them to the sashing. Not like trying to quilt a queen sized quilt, though, and wrestle the whole thing just to quilt it! I have done that many a time! The really neat thing about the way I did these blocks is your blocks don't have to all measure the exact same thing! When you use the back ground, attach it to all sides and put the blocks on point, wacky, then square each one up to 17 1/2"s, no one ever knows your blocks didn't all measure exactly 12 1/2 inches to start with! Love it!

The really neat thing about this is that you can make a completely reversible quilt. Here I am using flannel on the back to make a comfort quilt, but I have done one completely reversible.

Nancy
Oh sorry about the pink, orange, and yellow stickies! I have to number the blocks to make sure they stay wacky!
Nancy, is this quilt in a book that can be bought? I love it and would love to make it for my soon to be grand daughter (gonna marry my oldest grandson) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I love star quilts. Thanx
Where is the picture of this quilt? I missed this one. I too would like to learn how to quilt as you go.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM

The picture is on page 668
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
You had fun yesterday! I like them both. Fusing makes those curve pieces so much more easier and fun to work with. I want to try a quilt as you go block. Some friends have tried it and liked working with one block over having to wrestle with a large quilt. Very pretty quilts!
Thank you guys for the compliments! Quilt As You Go is a fun way to use your treadles or even the electric vintage machines. You are only working with one block at a time to quilt, but when I finish 4 blocks (the blocks are 17"s square), then you still have to do a little wrestling to attach them to the sashing. Not like trying to quilt a queen sized quilt, though, and wrestle the whole thing just to quilt it! I have done that many a time! The really neat thing about the way I did these blocks is your blocks don't have to all measure the exact same thing! When you use the back ground, attach it to all sides and put the blocks on point, wacky, then square each one up to 17 1/2"s, no one ever knows your blocks didn't all measure exactly 12 1/2 inches to start with! Love it!

The really neat thing about this is that you can make a completely reversible quilt. Here I am using flannel on the back to make a comfort quilt, but I have done one completely reversible.

Nancy
Oh sorry about the pink, orange, and yellow stickies! I have to number the blocks to make sure they stay wacky!
Where is the picture of this quilt? I missed this one. I too would like to learn how to quilt as you go.
Thanks
There's one called "Ditter's string quilt" that is a good basic quilt on this board. Bobbie
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deara
Hey Billy,
I posted some pics of the Vintage Singer attachments that Moosegirl sent me.
Can you move that post to the main thread here?
At least I am hoping you can and that they qualify for posting on the Vintage space.

Blessings,
Sandi
Sure will do ma'am!!

Billy
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Nancy
Thanks
There's one called "Ditter's string quilt" that is a good basic quilt on this board. Bobbie
What page is Ditter's string quilt pictured on?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Its snowing like crazy right now and we have close to 2" and gaining fast!! It looks like we are going to get around 8 to 12 inches. Fayetteville AR got hit with around 2' if my wife heard right and that system is just coming in.

I will post photos when I pick it up at the ladies home. She had to move quite a bit to dig the machine out so I told her just call me when you have it out.

Billy, I love the shape of that machine! The poster is really neat to look at too. Can't wait to see the actual machine, when you are ready to post the picture!

Nancy
;)