Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I went to look at a 201 yesterday that looked like it was in pretty good cosmetic condition... When moving the hand wheel everything moved very well, so it didn't appear to have mechanical problems or be gunked up too bad inside. The problem, however, came when plugging it in and stepping on the pedal. The machine sewed slowly at first (nowhere near the speed a 201 should get up to) and then bogged down and even stopped! Obviously an electrical problem, not a mechanical one. Before I decide if I want to get involved with this machine, I wanted to run it past the experts here! Do you think changing the cords will solve this, or does this sound like a motor problem? Worn out motor? Brushes just need changing?

I wasn't in love with the cabinet... It's a heavy wood cabinet that somehow eliminates the foot pedal, and has it's own little foot lever attached to the cabinet. That could also be the source of the problem-- the wiring to that.

I definitely need to get some ideas and opinions before I decide if I want to attempt to refurbish this machine. Thanks!

Now you know why I hate the eMachines LOL!! It sounds like the motor but I would clean the machine real good first to eliminate any of the drag there. Changing wires wont help with the problem but it would be a good thing if they are frayed or cracked. Safety first you know!

I can get the rebuilt motors if you need one.

Billy
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Beaniekins,
compare your machine with these 27s I found on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-SINGER-S...item3364ef35a2

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-TREADLE-S...item27b88a9dea

Some of the older ones were fiddlebase...

I just noticed that yours has the spoked handwheel, which probably means it was not electric, originally. Spoked handwheels came on machines that were either treadled or hand cranked. Many were converted to electric machines later. Your machine will have the bullet shaped shuttle below those two slide plates on the base. It winds a long bobbin, rather than the little round ones that modern machines use. The TreadleLady has some good videos on how to wind those bobbins and thread the machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQ6fTVnkT0
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I went to look at a 201 yesterday that looked like it was in pretty good cosmetic condition... When moving the hand wheel everything moved very well, so it didn't appear to have mechanical problems or be gunked up too bad inside. The problem, however, came when plugging it in and stepping on the pedal. The machine sewed slowly at first (nowhere near the speed a 201 should get up to) and then bogged down and even stopped! Obviously an electrical problem, not a mechanical one. Before I decide if I want to get involved with this machine, I wanted to run it past the experts here! Do you think changing the cords will solve this, or does this sound like a motor problem? Worn out motor? Brushes just need changing?

I wasn't in love with the cabinet... It's a heavy wood cabinet that somehow eliminates the foot pedal, and has it's own little foot lever attached to the cabinet. That could also be the source of the problem-- the wiring to that.

I definitely need to get some ideas and opinions before I decide if I want to attempt to refurbish this machine. Thanks!

Now you know why I hate the eMachines LOL!! It sounds like the motor but I would clean the machine real good first to eliminate any of the drag there. Changing wires wont help with the problem but it would be a good thing if they are frayed or cracked. Safety first you know!

I can get the rebuilt motors if you need one.

Billy
What do you mean by eMachine? Not familiar with that term...

I guess what I need to know is the approximate cost of replacing the motor, then. The seller is not giving this machine away, so I don't want to get in for more than it's worth. You can PM me with cost of a rebuilt motor, if you'd rather.
Thanks, Billy!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Well, my vintage ladies were patient with me the other day while I used my daughter's Janome TB-30 to make this Valentine's Day quilted postcard.

I would love to own a vintage machine in treadle that has the function of zig-zag and some decorative stitches. My hunt is on!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155617.jpe  
Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Son is going to a swap meet in Clarksville. I told him to look out for old sewing machines. (It's a Motorcycle swap meet.) He didn't think there'd be much for sewing machines, but could probably find cool things to "pimp" my golf cart. LOL!!!
My son has a golf cart with a 750cc motorcycle engine in it.
:lol: The fastest golf cart on the planet!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Glenn
All you featherweight people, I got a featherweight for nothing it works fine except I need bobbins. Where to you recomend I get some? Glenn
Bobbins for the Berninas will fit the FW's I think its the 540, but you cab find them at Joanns and Hancocks if not I have plenty of them.

Billy
No bobbins for the Berninas do NOT fit the FW, the Bernina bobbins are too tall and won't fit in the bobbin case.
I buy my bobbins from "www.221parts.com" I have found that the bobbins from Joann's for the FW are often poorly made.
Sharon W.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, my vintage ladies were patient with me the other day while I used my daughter's Janome TB-30 to make this Valentine's Day quilted postcard.

I would love to own a vintage machine in treadle that has the function of zig-zag and some decorative stitches. My hunt is on!
You need a Singer 500A or get a Singer zigzager for one of your low shanks.

That is a beautiful card!!!

Billy
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

What do you mean by eMachine? Not familiar with that term...
eMachine = electric machine or some refer to as a machine with a tail.

Nothing really wrong with them but I personally do not like to use them. I own a couple just for kicks and giggles (301 and a Kenmore) but I never use them.

Treadle or Die is my motto!!! :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I think I will call on this cabinet. I don't think I have seen one that opens on both sides like this one. I like the fold down drawer in the front too. I will ask for a better picture of the decals.

According to serial listed, is Model 66, Jan. 28, 1930, 23,609 made.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2205348070.html
The cabinet alone is worth that much!! Go for it!! :mrgreen:
wow... really? The machine/cabinet is listed at $100. That cabinet is worth that? Golly, I have TWO of them sitting at my house and am trying to get a third one from a thrift store. One was my grandmother's 66-6, the other had a great 15-91 in it. The thrift store one has a 15-91, crinkle finish, Centennial, blackside in it. Neat machine.

One of the cabinets, I'm in the process of fixing/refinishing with Glenn's help/advice... neat project. It's been raining on/off down here, so I've been delayed about 4 days now... that's the breaks in florida.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:59 PM

I just noticed that yours has the spoked handwheel, which probably means it was not electric, originally. Spoked handwheels came on machines that were either treadled or hand cranked. Many were converted to electric machines later. Your machine will have the bullet shaped shuttle below those two slide plates on the base. It winds a long bobbin, rather than the little round ones that modern machines use.
Hey all.... I just saw another Singer 27, Tiffany decals, with a BELT driven electric motor on it. Was a Singer motor too. Belt ran from motor housing to the belt race on the large spoke'd chrome wheel. (This machine was a later 27, had the trapazoid plate on the front of the head, was a VS machine, bolted on motor. Foot pedal was mounted on right, inside of cabinet with a knee lever control actuating the pedal. I think with that set up, it was original. Therefore, I believe (but I'm not the expert!) that in between Singers 'treadle' models... and the full electric potted motors using gears instead of belts.... there was a sort of 'half n half' machine. Still used belts, but the belt ran from the external motor to the spoked hand wheel belt race. I don't have an approx. age on that one I described above, except to say that the S/N was a single letter prefix... so...