Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by BoJangles
You guys remember my new Wilcox & Gibbs on page 695? Well, it had been painted black - twice - under that a white or cream, can't tell! I am trying to strip the cabinet to get it back to the original wood, which is very pretty. I am using Glenn's tutorial, but what a pain in the backside! It had so much paint on the cabinet that I am on my second can of stripper. I am finally getting down to the wood, but now there is white paint imbedded in the grain of the wood!

Glenn, will I ever get this cabinet back to the original? Geeze, I can't believe what some people do to these antique cabinets and machines!

On a good note, my Wilcox and Gibbs sews beautifully!

Nancy
It is unfortunate that the cabinet has several layers of paint. This does make it a little more difficult to strip. I find that a paste or thick stripper works better than the watery kind. Paint a thick layer on the finish a section at a time then cover with plastic to keep the stripper from evaporating and leave on for about 40 min. This will keep the stripper moist and to reach deeply into the paint. Most sewing cabinets are not painted and the old shellac stripps easy. If you find paint in the grain of the wood after stripping take a small brass brush, apply stripper and use the brush with the grain of the wood to remove the paint in the grain. This will take time. I just hate it when someone paints over a nice woold finish. Hope this helps but paint is always hard to get out of oak. I am here to help. Glenn
Here in the South people seem to like the look of that little bit of paint left on the finish-- don't know what it's called, but at flea markets I see a lot of stuff that was refinished but the old paint residues left in the wood grain. It's kind of a distressed look and very popular here. It's not traditional for a sewing machine, but neither are purple and blue automotive paint for the heads (sorry, Billy!). Sometimes you have to make the best of what you have...

I think they control how much of the paint coat to leave/remove by wiping down with mineral spirits, but don't quote me on that.
It's called "shabby chic" .... leaving some paint in the wood or slapping on more more and rubbing it around to make it look "distressed"? My husband was in the process of stripping layers of white paint off a solid walnut chest of drawers (which he had pulled out of a dumpster) several years ago when our DIL came over and said "STOP" ... she wanted it just like it was and ended up slopping more paint on and it looked fantastic in their home with the type if decorating she does.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM

sewbizgirl, I spoke with the seller. She says the shuttle and all pieces are there and that the machine works. Trying to go see it tonight. May have to wait til tomorrow night after work.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
sewbizgirl, I spoke with the seller. She says the shuttle and all pieces are there and that the machine works. Trying to go see it tonight. May have to wait til tomorrow night after work.
How exciting. Do let us know if you get it, and post pics!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Wow that is beautiful!! I love the story behind it. I have my great grandmother's Singer treadle, and it was well used too. She had 12 children and several grandchildren that she raised, but died when I was only 4 months old, so I never knew her. The machine sat in her old house for 14 years until I asked my grandfather if I could have it, since I liked to sew, and he said yes. His surviving sisters were quite upset, but he told them that they had been given a while to get it if they had wanted it, and that I was keeping it. The decals are horrible, but it is the most priceless machine I have.
Originally Posted by IT_Nana
I inherited my grandmother's sewing machine many years ago. I never knew her as she passed away at the age of 52 long before I was born. She and my grandpa homesteaded in northwestern Kansas and started their family in a sod house. As typical of many farm wives of that era, she sewed clothes for the entire family as well as raise a garden and chickens and cook huge meals for farm hands. I don't know how those women did it with none of the conveniences we have.

Anyway, this sewing machine is a Free brand and still worked the last time I tried it. Just yesterday I re-arranged my sewing room/guest room and set it up rather than having it folded up with the machine inside. Do you have any idea how old this is? The drawers all work, but I know there is a front piece missing in the middle. I've looked and looked for that piece, and one time about 10 years ago found a machine like it in an antique shop, but we were 1,000 miles from home in a small car and no way to transport it.

As you can see, this machine was very well used and well loved. My mother told me that her Mom gave it a fresh coat of varnish every year! My husband plans to refinish it...he said the wood should be very well preserved under all that varnish!

I'd appreciate any info you can provide.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

It's called "shabby chic" .... leaving some paint in the wood or slapping on more more and rubbing it around to make it look "distressed"? My husband was in the process of stripping layers of white paint off a solid walnut chest of drawers (which he had pulled out of a dumpster) several years ago when our DIL came over and said "STOP" ... she wanted it just like it was and ended up slopping more paint on and it looked fantastic in their home with the type if decorating she does.
"Pickling" was the term which escaped me... One of many forms of 'shabby chic'. Here you see a lot of old wood frame windows removed from old houses and used in decorating. They make picture frames from them, or use them to replace missing doors on old cabinets. They can look quite charming.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I inherited my grandmother's sewing machine many years ago. I never knew her as she passed away at the age of 52 long before I was born. She and my grandpa homesteaded in northwestern Kansas and started their family in a sod house. As typical of many farm wives of that era, she sewed clothes for the entire family as well as raise a garden and chickens and cook huge meals for farm hands. I don't know how those women did it with none of the conveniences we have.

Anyway, this sewing machine is a Free brand and still worked the last time I tried it. Just yesterday I re-arranged my sewing room/guest room and set it up rather than having it folded up with the machine inside. Do you have any idea how old this is? The drawers all work, but I know there is a front piece missing in the middle. I've looked and looked for that piece, and one time about 10 years ago found a machine like it in an antique shop, but we were 1,000 miles from home in a small car and no way to transport it.

As you can see, this machine was very well used and well loved. My mother told me that her Mom gave it a fresh coat of varnish every year! My husband plans to refinish it...he said the wood should be very well preserved under all that varnish!

I'd appreciate any info you can provide.
It looks very similar to the Singer 27. I would guess age to be between 1890 and 1920, but there are others on this board who can probably pinpoint it closer for you. That is about the prettiest cabinet I have ever laid eyes on. You have a treasure, there...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM

What a beautiful machine and cabinet!! I love the decals!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM

sewbizgirl, I just called the seller again to tell her I would stop in and look after work tonight. She told me she has a singer handcrank she will be listing soon $200.oo. I can't afford that right now.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Waiting with you with crossed fingers!! Sounds like a very good possibility> . . . be sure to post pics when you get her.!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

IT_Nana,

That is a very pretty machine and cabinet. It looks like she was really loved bcause even tho used, she was very well taken care of> Congratulations. . . looks like the belt is still in place also. That's unusual. . most of the time they are gone!