Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Decisions, decisions. I keep telling DH I don't need any more machines. But, certain 'good ones' keep popping up. What is a collector to do???????????????? :-D
Buy till there are no machines left to be found? :mrgreen:
Hahahaha!!! :lol: :lol: That is a very tempting thought, although not practical!! I will have to find a place to put any new machine I buy...my sewing room is now full to bursting!!
Have you gone vertical yet? :D
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank. Thanks to Billy and his tutes, she is looking good. Billy suggested not doing anything but cleaning because of her age, born about 1900. According to Damascus Annie the style of the handcrank is called Saxonia.
I did use a product called Evapo-Rust that I got from Harbor Freight that eats rust and isn't caustic to people. I did not use it around the decals, but soaked everything else after it had a kerosene bath. I love that stuff. There is no rust on this machine, even though some pictures make it look like there is some on the face plate.

Texas Jan (Who is now addicted to vintage machines)
AMAZING! Wow, what an advertisement for Evapo-Rust. You should submit photos to the company for their ads. I would never have thought you could do as much with your machine.

Sorry to hear you are addicted. It is what happens to those who frequent this shop!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: You will have plenty of company though! :lol: :lol:
Wow, I've been looking at the one I have in the garage thinking maybe it was too far gone, but now that I see how your's came out, I can't wait to start! That is beautiful.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Monica look at this! Is this machine actually a Two Spools?

[url=http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2431474651.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2431474651.html[/url]

Nancy

In the picture, does it look like there's a bobbin winder on the right? Hard to see. Nice machine, though!!
I keep hearing you talk about the "2 spools' and I wonder what makes it a "2 spools", I keep thinking there should be a second spool of thread or something. Not to sound too dumb, just wondering. Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Buslady;

Two spools refers to to a National machine that did use 2 spools of thread. One was the upper thread and the other was the bobbin thread. I have one and it's a treadle. Not sure if they were ever e-machines or just people powered ones. They can be found but must be checked thoroughly to see if all the bobbin parts are complete as those are difficult to find from what I understand. Mine is complete. Dh would like her to go so I can oput some of my other finds in my sewing room and out of his garage space. I am undecided as of the moment. I do want a treadle but not sure what kind.

My 2 spools machine, unnamed at present
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209534[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-209528.jpe  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Please help, can anyone tell me where I can get more needles for my Minnesota D treadle? I finally got her running good but am almost afraid to use her as I only have the one needle. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks
Bev
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Please help, can anyone tell me where I can get more needles for my Minnesota D treadle? I finally got her running good but am almost afraid to use her as I only have the one needle. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks
Bev
Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Did you answer your own question?
A Singer Lotus 66-1 was the first of the Singer 66. The decals are just there for decoration and a way to sell machines. The Lotus was the first decals used from 1900-1910, and then Singer switched to the Redeye decal. My two Lotus 66-1 are back mount machines which means the the side mount attachments can't be used with them. I have used my oldest, 1907, to make a complete baby quilt, from piecing to straight-stitch quilting. The machine makes a pretty stitch!

More info on the Singer 66s.
http://www.sewnuts.com/66/class66.htm
Don't forget Monica, there was also a rare 66-1 with the Sphinx/Egyptian decal made from 1902 until 1906.

Also, my BF has a beautiful Lotus from 1923, so the Lotus goes beyond 1910!

Yes, Sharon I am glad you mentioned the many 66's that started as back clamping and were changed out to become a side clamping 66. I think Kathie has one of those confusing machines!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2431474651.html

Nancy
YES! It is a Two Spools! In a beautiful cabinet. RUN and get that machine for $100. I love mine for piecing!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank. Thanks to Billy and his tutes, she is looking good. Billy suggested not doing anything but cleaning because of her age, born about 1900. According to Damascus Annie the style of the handcrank is called Saxonia.
I did use a product called Evapo-Rust that I got from Harbor Freight that eats rust and isn't caustic to people. I did not use it around the decals, but soaked everything else after it had a kerosene bath. I love that stuff. There is no rust on this machine, even though some pictures make it look like there is some on the face plate.

Texas Jan (Who is now addicted to vintage machines)
Beautiful job! The machine is looking much better! These vintage machines are wonderful.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Well - I've tried everything I can to get the tension fixed on my Singer 15-91. I give up & am taking it into the repair shop tomorrow. I will not be taking it back to the shop that supposedly "serviced" it. The tension has not been right since I got it back. My friend & I took 3 different machines in all at the same time. Just talked to her & she said she is having problems with hers too. So I refuse to waste my breath & time to give them a 2nd go at it. My LQS suggested a shop, so that's where I will be first thing tomorrow morning. I am supposed to be learming to FMQ so I can finish some quilts that are gifts! Gotta get things moving & done!
Sorry to hear this. It is so frustrating when you can't get things to work right and then take the item into the "pro" only to find they didn't fix it. Hopefully the next person will get it up and running for you!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by buslady

[url=http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2431474651.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2431474651.html[/url]

Nancy

In the picture, does it look like there's a bobbin winder on the right? Hard to see. Nice machine, though!!
I keep hearing you talk about the "2 spools' and I wonder what makes it a "2 spools", I keep thinking there should be a second spool of thread or something. Not to sound too dumb, just wondering. Thanks in advance
Yes there is a second spool of thread. Instead of a bobbin, a can that holds a spool of thread is used. The machine has a winder for winding thread onto a wooden small spool from another spool. I will take more pictures of the machine.

Additional photos are of my 2nd Two Spools in parlor cabinet with coil-spring belt that I recently put on.

before cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209563[/ATTACH]

Winding spool (2nd Two spools in parlor cabinet)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209579[/ATTACH]

can on pin ready to be put in sewing position
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209580[/ATTACH]

can in sewing position
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209584[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-209557.jpe   attachment-209573.jpe   attachment-209574.jpe   attachment-209578.jpe