Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1851 of 4417 FirstFirst ... 851 1351 1751 1801 1841 1850 1851 1852 1861 1901 1951 2351 2851 ... LastLast
Results 18,501 to 18,510 of 44163

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #18501
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    The 301 threads right to left. Mine is sitting right in front of me, and I was sewing on it last night.

  2. #18502
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer
    ... my first sewing machine....I think it was a Dressmaker from the 50's.
    There was a Model KNB with the “Universal” badge on it.

    CD in Oklahoma

    Universal Model KNB - Ser # 302640
    Name:  Attachment-217161.jpe
Views: 883
Size:  41.1 KB

  3. #18503
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,824
    Blog Entries
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    There is a mocha Singer 301 in a trapazoid cabinet for $100.00 in Western Massachusetts (Ludlow) for anyone who may be interested. The cabinet may need some work but the price is awesome. Here is the link: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/hsh/2458727711.html
    This is the machine I've drooled over!! I want it so badly!! Why does it have to be so far away???
    Did you want mocha or black? Look at his one... if I hadn't just brought two machines home, I would have definitely gone for this one. I love the cabinet!

    http://kpr.craigslist.org/hsh/2462561373.html

  4. #18504
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okla City, OK
    Posts
    39
    miriam, thank you so much for giving me some information.
    I really appreciate it.

  5. #18505
    Senior Member Grandmother23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Sulphur, LA
    Posts
    311
    Blog Entries
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    There is a mocha Singer 301 in a trapazoid cabinet for $100.00 in Western Massachusetts (Ludlow) for anyone who may be interested. The cabinet may need some work but the price is awesome. Here is the link: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/hsh/2458727711.html
    This is the machine I've drooled over!! I want it so badly!! Why does it have to be so far away???
    Did you want mocha or black? Look at his one... if I hadn't just brought two machines home, I would have definitely gone for this one. I love the cabinet!

    http://kpr.craigslist.org/hsh/2462561373.html
    I have a mocha and would like to have a black. All will come in time, but I wish this would be my time to have this one closer to me!!!!!!!! I want the cabinet maybe more than the machine. I will have to ponder on this some more, machine vs cabinet vs machine vs cabinet, etc.......

  6. #18506
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,824
    Blog Entries
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    There is a mocha Singer 301 in a trapazoid cabinet for $100.00 in Western Massachusetts (Ludlow) for anyone who may be interested. The cabinet may need some work but the price is awesome. Here is the link: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/hsh/2458727711.html
    This is the machine I've drooled over!! I want it so badly!! Why does it have to be so far away???
    Did you want mocha or black? Look at his one... if I hadn't just brought two machines home, I would have definitely gone for this one. I love the cabinet!

    http://kpr.craigslist.org/hsh/2462561373.html
    I have a mocha and would love to have a black. All will come in time but I wish this would be my time to have this one!!!!!!!!
    Isn't it cool?!

    Just saw that you have 23 grandchildren... how blessed you are! I am only half way there. :-D

  7. #18507
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,150
    Blog Entries
    2
    SOS... I'm trying to hook up the Singer 401G to treadle - the other day we just got the belt through, pulled on it and turned the wheel - basically we could see that it would do it. Now we've got a table top off an electric, a treadle base, a belt and the machine. The belt fits through just fine but seems to be too thick to go through the very top of the machine. DH insisted that we needed to pull the motor - too much friction. Well, it was not enough space or the belt too big around. Does anybody know anything about belt sizes? Are there smaller diameter belts and larger diameter belts? This belt goes in a very narrow spot. Right now it slips and slides until it comes to the staple then it hangs up - don't go through the top. In theory this should work. Any advice would be appreciated. DH says it has a 3/16 ths belt right now. Do they make a narrower belt?

    HA HA I google searched it and would you believe it, THIS site turned up! I saw stuff about aquarium/oxygen tubing, leather shoe strings and old panty hose??? ok. whatever turns the wheel. I guess I best wait until another day to go shopping. It will need to be very thin and very strong stuff to go through the channel.

  8. #18508
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I found a road side freebee last night. It is an 1960/70 Kenmore. It does straight or zigzag. It was very much an ashtray. I got it cleaned up. Need to haul it in the house and plug it in to see if it works. I got it freed up. Seems like a fairly nice metal machine. I'm not sure how to tell what model it is. It was missing the pressure feet and the bobbin case. I had that in my pack rat stash.
    Did you find the model number? If not, it should be on the right side of the machine when you lift the head from its base. (Under the visible portion of the machine when it is set up, if that makes sense.) Have you tried to use it yet?

  9. #18509
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM
    I just got home from a day of garage sales and I picked up a beautiful Viking 19E (I'll post photos later). The case and original accessory box are in very good condition but it did not have a manual w/it. I've found where I can pay for one in PDF format, but thought I'd check to see if anyone else had a source. She is so pretty.

    Thanks for your help.
    Marie
    There is a website with information on vintage viking machines. I will try to paste in an address for you. They have manuals you can download on a lot of the machines. I do not know for sure about the 19E

    (My computer is doing some funky things. I wish it was as reliable as my sewing machines!) I will look for the info and post it later. Sorry I can't do it now.

  10. #18510
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,150
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I found a road side freebee last night. It is an 1960/70 Kenmore. It does straight or zigzag. It was very much an ashtray. I got it cleaned up. Need to haul it in the house and plug it in to see if it works. I got it freed up. Seems like a fairly nice metal machine. I'm not sure how to tell what model it is. It was missing the pressure feet and the bobbin case. I had that in my pack rat stash.
    Did you find the model number? If not, it should be on the right side of the machine when you lift the head from its base. (Under the visible portion of the machine when it is set up, if that makes sense.) Have you tried to use it yet?
    Found the model number - 148 something. It does zigzag straight and then a forward, back, forward stitch. It works very well. The bobbin winder tire is 'flat' from not being used so right now it doesn't wind a bobbin at all. I slicked up the shaft with some tri-flo and it turns freely now. Under all the grime was a very seldom used machine. She now shines. I wiped down the cabinet and left it in the sun - seems to have taken down the smell. I found some generic instructions how to use it on line. A bobbin case I had fit. I got some gunk out of the races and oiled the whole thing. Runs pretty slick now. This was a very successful rescue!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.