Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Charlee,
Your New Florence machine and the cabinet are gorgeous!!!
Judy
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Here is my "The Free" sewing machine and cabinet before and after. The cabinet had some dark stain running down it so I stripped it and need to sand and restain it. It must have at least 4 differant wood veneers on it. I have to do some veneer repair on the drawers.
Judy

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235920[/ATTACH]

After
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235921[/ATTACH]

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235922[/ATTACH]

After
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235923[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235914.jpe   attachment-235915.jpe   attachment-235916.jpe   attachment-235917.jpe  
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by debbiewi
Charlee,
what was the name of the stuff you clean up the cabinets with? I think you said you got it at Menards??
thanks
debbie
It's called "Howard's Restor-a-finish" followed by Howard's Feed n Wax (I know Glenn, the wood's dead and doesn't need fed! :lol: but I like the way the stuff makes the wood look!) ....I've not found it at Lowe's, but have found it at Home Depot, and most of the antique stores around here carry it. :) Hope that helps!
Charlee using the Howard products is okay. It is basically cosmetic fix and you like the looks go far it. As a furniture restorer I go with the old fashioned restoration techniques(restoring the old finish by repairing such as french polish the shellac) I agree with you I don't refinish by stripping I just make the old finish look new again. By the way love your new machine.
Glenn
Thanks Glenn! This "New Old Girl" is going to present some problems with my normal methods tho...those decals are gonna get in my way!! She's missing some shellac/varnish, and I don't know how to go about fixing that without damaging them! They already have a few silvered spots... ~sigh~ I'm gonna have to learn something new...and find out where to learn it! :lol:
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
Here is my "The Free" sewing machine and cabinet before and after. The cabinet had some dark stain running down it so I stripped it and need to sand and restain it. It must have at least 4 differant wood veneers on it. I have to do some veneer repair on the drawers.
Judy
That's awesome Judy! GREAT job!!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

[That's awesome Judy! GREAT job!!
Thank you, Judy
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by debbiewi
Charlee,
what was the name of the stuff you clean up the cabinets with? I think you said you got it at Menards??
thanks
debbie
It's called "Howard's Restor-a-finish" followed by Howard's Feed n Wax (I know Glenn, the wood's dead and doesn't need fed! :lol: but I like the way the stuff makes the wood look!) ....I've not found it at Lowe's, but have found it at Home Depot, and most of the antique stores around here carry it. :) Hope that helps!
Charlee using the Howard products is okay. It is basically cosmetic fix and you like the looks go far it. As a furniture restorer I go with the old fashioned restoration techniques(restoring the old finish by repairing such as french polish the shellac) I agree with you I don't refinish by stripping I just make the old finish look new again. By the way love your new machine.
Glenn
Thanks Glenn! This "New Old Girl" is going to present some problems with my normal methods tho...those decals are gonna get in my way!! She's missing some shellac/varnish, and I don't know how to go about fixing that without damaging them! They already have a few silvered spots... ~sigh~ I'm gonna have to learn something new...and find out where to learn it! :lol:
The best way to handle missing shellac if it is missing over some of the decal is to use spray shellac from Lowes(you want to use the clear and not orange shellac) Spray lightly over the decals this will protect them from the Howards restorer which will turn them dark and silver them. After you spray the shellac in the missing areas get a can of shellac and artist brush and fill in the areas with shellac until matches the level of surrounding areas. But in this case I would not use Howards it might [penatrate down to the decals and damage them. After you repair the shellac I would use a could paste wax such as Bri wax or one of the brands carried in antique stores not johnson paste it contains carnuba. the antique waxes uses bee wax as a base and is harmless to the finish. Decals are a restorere's nightmare to work around. Hope this helps you get started.
Glenn
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
ok... this one is for the Red Eye lovers in NY.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/fuo/2517376912.html

I need to work more and stopp looking at sewing machine ads.... You quilting ladies are creating a monster. I have been here less then a month and already have 7 machines. I have no time to sew... to busy looking for machines...
That is sooooo funny! We all share the same addiction! I guess we should post a warning to people joining this group! "Be aware this site is contagious - once you join you will be addicted to the hunt for more and more vintage sewing machines!"

Nancy
Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
Judy
Judy nice Free and cabinet! You did a good job on the cleaning of both the cabinet and machine! I have used my Free alot for piecing. It was my main piecing machine until I got the Two Spools!

Nancy
Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Buslady, what is the pink machine in the Photo shop? Is it a VS2?

Nancy
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM

I just got rid of two of my machines. That brings me down to 19. One was a brand new still in the box Janome. The other was a Singer 27. I have one more to go which is broken and can not be fixed. I will have two more coming in a few years ( I hope). I got to thinking when is enough, enough. I have come up with the right answer, which is , when there are no more sewing machines out there to be had. Hubby had to work on one of my Red Eyes as the bobbin winder was not lined up right. It took it about two hours as one of the springs would not stay in right and kept popping out. He did get it and I was able to mend my night grown on the treadle. What fun. Kathie