Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by lee231
Need info, what's a vertical feed?
No feed dogs are needed since the needle and the foot moves the fabric. This video show the machine in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxpWrP5Wrc
I am impressed with the machine after watching this video. Now I want one. :lol: Kathie
Me too! Glad you asked, I didn't know what it meant either.
I got to sew with a Davis VF at the Greenville,TX TOGA in April.
It was cool to see how it sewed.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Quick opinion needed! I saw this at a garage sale: a 1948 201 with an oak table (very sturdy) that the lady's father had built for it. The base of the box just drops in and fits very nicely, I'm sure the table would work for other machine cases of the same size. she wants $50. Any thoughts?
Hope you bought it!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Quick opinion needed! I saw this at a garage sale: a 1948 201 with an oak table (very sturdy) that the lady's father had built for it. The base of the box just drops in and fits very nicely, I'm sure the table would work for other machine cases of the same size. she wants $50. Any thoughts?
Hope you bought it!
Yep! :thumbup: Posted pictures a few pages back. I need to round up all my machines and post pictures in the photo shop.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I found this on CL,
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/2558499406.html
The prices seem high, the machines look very nice.
Looking at those prices, I got a really good deal for my $40 201 in it's bentwood box and handcrafted oak table!
Yes, you did get an excellent deal!!'

That person in SF Bay posts from time to time, and the prices are always that price, high. He does have a very nice collection of machines! And it is always fun looking! There is another person that posts too, and his machines seem to be about the same price. He also has a great collection of machines! I just wait for the great deals to pop up. The machines are there.

Grayhare, if you want a fun machine in treadle, go for the Davis NVF in Modesto. It takes standard needles, 15x1. They now want around $90 for the machine. I purchased one out in Modesto area for $50 this past year, and someone here just picked one up in the Bay for $60ish.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 PM

I feel like I had a 2-hour wasted trip today. I had been emailing back and forth for over a week with a lady who had advertised on CL that she had her mother's 401A for sale along with her sewing/quilting supplies. She had sent me pics and it looked good in the blonde cabinet. She told me she had sewn on it and everything was good. Got there and "finally" got around to seeing the machine. (Talkative lady) I first looked it over to check for frayed wires etc. and noticed there was no bobbin in the bobbin case. The machine was threaded. It is in a cabinet with the knee control. Cosmetically, the body looked good. I decided to see if the motor sounded good and ran well. Well, the handwheel would not start turning nor the needle bar go up or down, even with me gently starting the wheel. When I loosened the inner wheel and push the bobbin lever up, the bobbin wheel would spin and things seemed to be right. After retightening the hand wheel, I tried to turn the wheel without using the motor. Needle would not go up and down.

Now, is there some secret I'm missing? Did run quiet but I didn't want to just keep running it without the needle bar moving. She said there were "lots of attachments" but she had gotten the wrong storage box out of the storage unit. Come to find out, her mother hadn't sewn on it in 2 years but apparently she was an avid quilter. Belonged to 2 quilt groups. Oh, the "boxes of fabric/supplies" was one box with curtains and misc pieces of stuff in it. There was one small box with trim and a couple packs of buttons...nothing special. She says there's lots more in the missing box.

She was asking $250 for "entire lot". I had offered her $150 depending on my checking it out and the machine having all the attachments/cams and was in good sewing condition.

If there something I need to tell her to try or should I just let this one go?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM

I would let it go. There will be another one coming around the corner! These vintage machines find us, one way or another!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
I would let it go. There will be another one coming around the corner! These vintage machines find us, one way or another!
I agree, just let it go. There will be another one!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 PM

I worked this weekend on cleaning up my Standard sewing machine in treadle. I picked this one up for free about a month ago. A cute couple were in the Bay Area to oversee a sale of a house, and they needed this machine out of the house quickly. The machine had been the guy's grandmother's machine. He was so happy to see the machine go to someone who would clean it up and use the machine.

After I got the cabinet and machine all cleaned up, I gave it a test drive. Well, at first I couldn't get the machine to pick up the bobbin thread. I looked online for a manual with no avail. My first thought was that the bobbin must not be in correctly. So, I read White rotary manuals, Domestic rotary manuals, and any other rotary manual for a treadle machine that I could find on the internet. The Standard bobbin looks just a wee bit different from the Whites, but not too much difference in technology. I decided that the bobbin wasn't the issue and decided to study the mechanism for picking up the threads. Light bulb went off! I realized that I needed to turn the hand wheel away from me, just like a White. What a Duh moment!!!

Her name is Rose; named after the grandmother.
She is a sweet machine, and she stitches beautifully!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-245051.jpe   attachment-245052.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 PM

She is beautiful!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Very nice!!!