Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2537 of 4376 FirstFirst ... 1537 2037 2437 2487 2527 2536 2537 2538 2547 2587 2637 3037 3537 ... LastLast
Results 25,361 to 25,370 of 43755

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #25361
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,038
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I wish just putting veneer on would help my Federal. It has termite tunnels in it's base. I'm afraid I'm going to have to have a base for that one if it won't go in a cabinet.
    Perhaps you could get someone to build you a base. My DH (who is NOT a carpenter) built one for my Singer 99 and it works great. There are even plans available online for these bases.
    PLANS???? Now we are talking!!!
    Check out this link at TreadleOn: http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/bu...dingbases.html
    THANK YOU!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance.

  2. #25362
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by beaniekins
    So that sad looking machine is in my kitchen now. $5 for the machine and a shoebox of miscellaneous parts. Some of them are attachments that I recognize, like the ruffler, others are various plates for other machines, some odd wheel cogs, and some sort of side plate that I don't recognize. Here's a photo of the old girl, serial number B146995: a 27-4, with 10,000 allotted on Jan. 2, 1904 in Elizabethport, NJ.

    Does anyone know what these parts are?
    OK now that looks like my kind of box of goodies. Obviously you have a Wheeler Wilson, some kind of slide plate, but not for the WW8, because it is different. I haven't a clue what the majority of the things are, but what fun. Billy !!! We need your parts knowledge or Glenn do you know what they all are, not in your wood line, but I know you know the old machines.
    Your machine will look so much better after a spa treatment. I think you got a good buy there. Is the shuttle and bobbin under the slide plates??

    Texas Jan

  3. #25363
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    When DH and I went to New York in August, I wanted to find a special machine to bring back to Texas. My sister in law went to calling every second hand shop and antique place in the Ithaca and Groton area. She found something that the sales lady said was really old but wouldn't be able to be used, for $20. Right up my alley (I hoped) Got there and bought it and could see it had an "8" on the front. Upon further inspection we could see it was a Wheeler-Wilson Model 8, without any kind of base or treadle. Pretty sad looking, but I could get it on the plane and bring her home, so I was happy.
    I got home and started cleaning and could see the newest patent date was 1878, and from what I can find out, from the shape of the wheel, that is a good estimate. The first wheels have a flat edge on the outside, where later Model 8's have a rounded edge wheel. Her Serial Number is 385288. If anyone can find a place that has dating numbers for WW8's I'd love to know for sure (and to bookmark the spot). Here is is when she made it home to Texas.

    Texas Jan

    She was made before they started using glass feet.
    Name:  Attachment-271822.jpe
Views: 70
Size:  54.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  4. #25364
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sorry Double post.

  5. #25365
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    I got the Wheeler Wilson 8 all cleaned up, but she needed a display box to show her off. I found a picture of a WW8 hand crank on line and sent the picture to Glenn. With a lot of pictures and lots of measurements, he made my little lady a beautiful throne to sit upon. Perhaps someday I will find a WW8 cabinet that I can afford, but she is perfectly content to be upright and well tended. Thanks again to Glenn for his beautiful workmanship !!

    Texas Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  6. #25366
    Junior Member beaniekins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    OK now that looks like my kind of box of goodies. Obviously you have a Wheeler Wilson, some kind of slide plate, but not for the WW8, because it is different. I haven't a clue what the majority of the things are, but what fun. Billy !!! We need your parts knowledge or Glenn do you know what they all are, not in your wood line, but I know you know the old machines.
    Your machine will look so much better after a spa treatment. I think you got a good buy there. Is the shuttle and bobbin under the slide plates??

    Texas Jan
    There was no shuttle or bobbin. I have a few extra bobbins, but no shuttle. It's also missing the back plate cover and where the motor head would sit is just an empty hole.

  7. #25367
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    I got the Wheeler Wilson 8 all cleaned up, but she needed a display box to show her off. I found a picture of a WW8 hand crank on line and sent the picture to Glenn. With a lot of pictures and lots of measurements, he made my little lady a beautiful throne to sit upon. Perhaps someday I will find a WW8 cabinet that I can afford, but she is perfectly content to be upright and well tended. Thanks again to Glenn for his beautiful workmanship !!

    Texas Jan

    NICE!!! I like it...a LOT! :)

  8. #25368
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    I got the Wheeler Wilson 8 all cleaned up, but she needed a display box to show her off. I found a picture of a WW8 hand crank on line and sent the picture to Glenn. With a lot of pictures and lots of measurements, he made my little lady a beautiful throne to sit upon. Perhaps someday I will find a WW8 cabinet that I can afford, but she is perfectly content to be upright and well tended. Thanks again to Glenn for his beautiful workmanship !!

    Texas Jan

    NICE!!! I like it...a LOT! :)
    Thanks Charlee !!!

    Texas Jan

  9. #25369
    Senior Member emmah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Groton, NY
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    When DH and I went to New York in August, I wanted to find a special machine to bring back to Texas. My sister in law went to calling every second hand shop and antique place in the Ithaca and Groton area. She found something that the sales lady said was really old but wouldn't be able to be used, for $20. Right up my alley (I hoped) Got there and bought it and could see it had an "8" on the front. Upon further inspection we could see it was a Wheeler-Wilson Model 8, without any kind of base or treadle. Pretty sad looking, but I could get it on the plane and bring her home, so I was happy.
    I got home and started cleaning and could see the newest patent date was 1878, and from what I can find out, from the shape of the wheel, that is a good estimate. The first wheels have a flat edge on the outside, where later Model 8's have a rounded edge wheel. Her Serial Number is 385288. If anyone can find a place that has dating numbers for WW8's I'd love to know for sure (and to bookmark the spot). Here is is when she made it home to Texas.

    Texas Jan
    OK, I live in Groton, so tell me what shop had the nice machine for such a good price! Maybe they have another one....for me!

  10. #25370
    Senior Member Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    I got the Wheeler Wilson 8 all cleaned up, but she needed a display box to show her off. I found a picture of a WW8 hand crank on line and sent the picture to Glenn. With a lot of pictures and lots of measurements, he made my little lady a beautiful throne to sit upon. Perhaps someday I will find a WW8 cabinet that I can afford, but she is perfectly content to be upright and well tended. Thanks again to Glenn for his beautiful workmanship !!

    Texas Jan
    Looks wonderful, what an interesting journey your machine's had.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.