Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
I don't think I'm even going to TRY to catch up with you all!! I'm just going to dash in and give a quick update before getting back to hauling plants in out of the coming freeze.

Since I know EXACTLY what you all want to hear, I'll let you know that yes, I'm still bringing in more machines than I sell. My newest old machines are a pair of 128's with Victorian decals (I bought one for the case and the crank, machine is in rough shape; the next day I found one in nice shape, so will put the two together); a German paw foot TS (beautiful little machine, need to get it cleaned and shined); a Domestic B HC (very cute); and my prize, a back-wheel Wilson treadle.

First weekend in Oct was a quilt retreat--finally finished a top that had been giving me grief. 2nd weekend was a great time at ISMACS. It was a small crowd, but well worth the time. Beautiful machine overload viewing Gary Wachs' collection. Since then has been a cold, a burn, and a fall--not so much fun, but recovering from all. Life still busy beyond belief, but hope to be able to check in more often!!

So now--when did the Quilting Board get a new look? Do we like it???

Miz Johnny!!! I have missed you! Glad you are back, I love learning from you. Please post pictures of all those machines- but I'm really interested in seeing that German machine.

As to the new look of the board and features, I love it. I spent a couple of days playing with settings and customizing my profile page. My son, the computer geek, states that this was long overdue for many reasons, but mostly for security. He also stated that lots of money went into making this new board; he was very impressed.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM

I need help in more ways than 1 but we'll only discuss sewing machine help here. For the 503, I need to find the cams. Having looked on EBay, are there "code words" to type in so that I search only for the cams or do I just persue and droool over all the available machines and hope there are also some bits & pieces & parts on the auction site? Truly don't have a clue and just wanting to find out this information. TIA ~ Chris
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Here is one of those Singers made in Taiwan. Depending on when the machine was made, call it either China or Taiwan. Mine was made in Taichung Taiwan in 1963, which was Taiwan (and is still Taiwan today, even though the Chinese want it back, but we won't get into politics now). This is one of my machines. I do have a cover plate for it, and I haven't used the machine yet. Another on my to do list.[ATTACH=CONFIG]286076[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]286077[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2011-11-10-7.07.47-pm.png   screen-shot-2011-11-10-7.08.13-pm.png  
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I need help in more ways than 1 but we'll only discuss sewing machine help here. For the 503, I need to find the cams. Having looked on EBay, are there "code words" to type in so that I search only for the cams or do I just persue and droool over all the available machines and hope there are also some bits & pieces & parts on the auction site? Truly don't have a clue and just wanting to find out this information. TIA ~ Chris
Chris I got all my cams on E-bay. I did a search for "sewing machine cams" as well as "Singer 403, 500, 503." Also, search for 'singer Top Hat.' You'll find the cams. Too bad you aren't in Northern California as the gal here who puts on our TOGA's has tons of cams for sale.

Nancy
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM

Oh, I did switch the bobbin winder on this machine to my Singer 15-90. I did discover that it works better than the older bobbin winders.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=vintagemotif;4663833]
Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Nancy, Most Davis cabinets have a distinct look over other cabinets that where made during that time period. The wood used for the top was thicker than most woods used on other cabinets tops . Here is a picture of mine that shows the section of the thick wood. Some collectors has stated that they are able to spot a Davis cabinet across a room just because of this unique feature.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]286072[/ATTACH]
Yep, I know about the Davis cabinets. To me the Two Spools is the same way. Yes the cabinet for the Hales Crescent has the Davis look and feel. I will check it out tomorrow, it is in the storage unit, but the cabinets that were made by Johnson, Flanders, and Company had a logo on every treadle. If there is no logo on the treadle, my Hales Crescent is not a Johnson, Flanders and Co. Crescent! From my research all their machines had the logo on the treadle irons so they could stand out!

Nancy
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=vintagemotif;4663833]

Nancy, Most Davis cabinets have a distinct look over other cabinets that where made during that time period. The wood used for the top was thicker than most woods used on other cabinets tops . Here is a picture of mine that shows the section of the thick wood. Some collectors has stated that they are able to spot a Davis cabinet across a room just because of this unique feature.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]286072[/ATTACH]
Do all Davis cabinets have the scroll work like yours? Mine does. My cabinet drawer pulls are different than yours, but my cabinet has the thick wood at the top, also.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Chris I got all my cams on E-bay. I did a search for "sewing machine cams" as well as "Singer 403, 500, 503." Also, search for 'singer Top Hat.' You'll find the cams. Too bad you aren't in Northern California as the gal here who puts on our TOGA's has tons of cams for sale. Nancy
Nancy; Thanks for the information. I do appreciate it. Not that I don't love looking at all the machines for sale but my cup runneth over in that department. However, had I had the money, another one would have come home with me also from that shop.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=sew wishful;4664011]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Do all Davis cabinets have the scroll work like yours? Mine does. My cabinet drawer pulls are different than yours, but my cabinet has the thick wood at the top, also.
That I don't know. I would have to google images and study that info. All I do know is that the wood is thicker. I have seen on so many cabinets (makers) with so many different drawer pulls too.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 11-10-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Weedwoman,
I love your fabric bowls!! Are they hard to make?
Sharon W.