Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
O.K. I got my Elna yesterday. Interestingly, it's the European released model 62D..which is the same as the American released 62C but at one time it had a plug to fit the European outlets. Anyway, besides me having to figure out how to center the needle better from front to back. It stitches very nicely. Here's the thing. It's paint on the throat of the machine is REALLY dinged up and it would be so nice to repaint. The plate comes off the machine, so it would be very easy just to paint the piece that is all messed up. I searched through the archives and although Billy had one thread where he showed a repainted machine, I didn't really find any directions per se. We have a Napa Autoparts store but not a store that necessarily is a Automotive paint type store. I know I can get a chip of the whitish paint off to match the color but then what? Sand it all off, primer of some kind and then paint? Do I have to have a sprayer, because I don't have a nice one:< I'm sure the common spray paints available would not match exactly and I don't want to make it look worse than it is. Any suggestions?
Candace, we'd love to see a photo of your new Elna!

Nancy
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Monica, thank you for this link!

Nancy
Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, my DH and I did a little day trip yesterday to pick up a Spartan listed on Craigslist for $20. I got the machine for $10 because it is missing its slide plate. The machine is in really good shape except for the missing plate, which I think I have in the storage unit. If not, I bet Cathy has them! I cleaned it yesterday, but it is not picking up the bobbin thread - it is almost like the bobbin case in twisted or something? This machine may have to go to Cathy for a once over! I am going to play with it a little more and see if I can figure out why when I try to pick up the bobbin thread, the top thread catches around the bobbin race/case thingy and gets stuck!
Nancy
Cathy, I think I have figured out why my new Spartan does not pick up the bobbin thread. The only part of this machine that has rust on it is the bobbin case. It sat without a slide plate, which is probably why the case is rusted. When I try to pick up the bobbin thread the top thread goes part way around the case then gets stuck! I can gently pull on the thread with my hand and get it past the stuck parts, but I think it is the roughness of the rust that is the problem? Do you have a simple solution for removing that rust and smoothing the case out? That is without having to remove the case! I know you showed us all how easy those cases come off at the TOGA, but I am not sure I have the nerve to remove the case - I am not sure I'd get it back in!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-12-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Cathy, I think I have figured out why my new Spartan does not pick up the bobbin thread. The only part of this machine that has rust on it is the bobbin case. It sat without a slide plate, which is probably why the case is rusted. When I try to pick up the bobbin thread the top thread goes part way around the case then gets stuck! I can gently pull on the thread with my hand and get it past the stuck parts, but I think it is the roughness of the rust that is the problem? Do you have a simple solution for removing that rust and smoothing the case out? That is without having to remove the case! I know you showed us all how easy those cases come off at the TOGA, but I am not sure I have the nerve to remove the case - I am not sure I'd get it back in!

Nancy
A possibility that that is the problem. When the thread gets stuck it definitely won't complete the stitch. It could be just buildup or just the escapement measurement is off. Both should be an easy fix. If you can see rust, there will most likely be rust on the underside and you do need to remove the BC to get to that.

I might be in Shingle springs on Sunday. Maybe we can meet up there or at your place. I would love to look at the little puppy (99).

Cathy
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
You said "Boye 20 is the needle called for on the Boye chart. This is a round shanked needle and slightly shorter than the Boye 10."

Jon,

I have a copy of this LAVF manual and it says to "set the needle with the flat side to the needlebar".
I find this confusing as the Boye 20 is a round needle with no flat.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Cathy
Very interesting, I see that in the manual. Thanks for pointing this out
Jon
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM

I will see the machines again Monday so I can look at the Pfaff. I wonder what # it is. I didn't feel the need for it - maybe because it looks a little like my Elna and nothing will replace that machine for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Nancy,

I should have said Diamond Springs not Shingle.

Sorry, Cathy
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 AM

I am looking for a Vintage singer can anyone help me find one ?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

suzeq45 try Craigslist in your area, or Goodwill or thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales...they are all over the place. You just have to do some homework and find them where you are.

I just looked on Athens, GA Craigslist and there are several vintage machines on there. You should always negotiate the price. Good luck!!

Last edited by jljack; 01-12-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM

HI, I am new to the board, enjoying it . I have a wizard sewing machine baby blue very well taken care of i have a problem with it the needle not returning to the middle it stays on the left side. I will take and help i can with it. I love the way it sew and was thinking of giving it to doughter -in law to be, but i think this old baby is staying with me.
thanks everyone