Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3019 of 4350 FirstFirst ... 2019 2519 2919 2969 3009 3018 3019 3020 3029 3069 3119 3519 4019 ... LastLast
Results 30,181 to 30,190 of 43496

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #30181
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
    I would love to go if you were closer. With the price of gas and in need of new tires, I am not doing any road trips. I know it will be great. Remember to breath!

    Thanks Lisa!! Yes, Breathe, Breathe!!! LOL I woke up 45 minutes early today thinking about my long long To Dos list!!

  2. #30182
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
    I'm stating to refinish a Raymond, does anyone have any info on this machine?
    I saw the photos of your Raymond. It looks sad right now, but I'm sure when you get the machine all cleaned up and rust removed it will be a lovely machine. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished work.

    How are you enjoying sewing with your Standard? I love mine. I don't use it often enough, but when I do, I enjoy sewing with it. These Standards are sweet machines. Right now, I have it set up as a chain stitch machine.

  3. #30183
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    The machine doesn't care what sort of treadle irons/pitman is powering it as long as it works! I have an 1895 treadle set up and it fits all of Singer treadle heads. I also have a set of Elgin irons that I've got a top from a early 1900s Singer coffin top. The picture you see here shows the Singer 66-1 head in the same cabinet as the one in the webshots pic.

    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719cnSsAp

    Thanks for that info, Sharon. I was wondering if they are all truly interchangeable...I have a 15 in a straight leg treadle that I want to put my 1909 66-1 in, and I thought it would fit fine, but wasn't sure. So, I won't have to find another cabinet and irons to use it. That's great news.

  4. #30184
    Super Member Leota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,601
    I haven't been here in a couple of week so I'm not really wanting to try and go back in the reading to find out what I'm wanting to know so I'll just ask
    HOW IS BILLY?

  5. #30185
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    He posted some yesterday. You can go to his Personal Diary in that section...he's doing OK right now.

  6. #30186
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,145
    Billy also posted on here a page or two back.

  7. #30187
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Thanks for that info, Sharon. I was wondering if they are all truly interchangeable...I have a 15 in a straight leg treadle that I want to put my 1909 66-1 in, and I thought it would fit fine, but wasn't sure. So, I won't have to find another cabinet and irons to use it. That's great news.
    It was Sharon that pointed this fact out to me when I first started collecting and posting to this QB thread. Along with the information about treadling a Singer 201 (external motor) without having to change the hand wheel. Her posts got me looking for other Singers with external motors that could be treadle. From there, I found that a Singer 328k can be treadle, just leave motor in machine, but bypass it. I wanted a vintage machine that could produce decorative stitches and be treadle. The 328k isn't the smoothest machine to treadle, but it can be done and works. I'm sure a Necchi Supernova would be much better for that purpose, and it fits into a Singer cabinet with minor adjustments. Thanks to Sharon, I learned that any combination is possible, just have to think outside the box.

  8. #30188
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    I saw the photos of your Raymond. It looks sad right now, but I'm sure when you get the machine all cleaned up and rust removed it will be a lovely machine. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished work.

    How are you enjoying sewing with your Standard? I love mine. I don't use it often enough, but when I do, I enjoy sewing with it. These Standards are sweet machines. Right now, I have it set up as a chain stitch machine.

    Yes she does look sad working on the rust now, I'm hoping wd40 and a steel brush will do the job.

    I love, love, love the Standard! I just finished a quilt top using her, I will post it tonight. I have not set the chain stitch up yet on her yet, but all the parts are there to do it, maybe play more with her this weekend. In the meantime I am up to my elbows in dirt and grime and rust on this Raymond, I hope I can save her and make her pretty once again.

    **Thank you to everyone who posted info on the Raymond, very cool sites!**

  9. #30189
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    10
    Charlee, I want that cute white cabinet that you painted with the quilting motif on the side. You should start a business selling painted vintage cabinets. I know, I know... just lots of hours went into painting it, and you would have to charge lots more than what most folks are willing to pay for a cabinet like that...but dang that cabinet is so cool! I wish I could replicate that cute cabinet, but I can't. I can't paint worth a dang since I have essential tremors. My work wouldn't look very pretty. That cabinet would be so cool in a sewing room with a FW or toy Singer sitting on top...waahhh...why did you have to show us that cabinet.

    Again, you did a very nice job...so nice that I want one!

  10. #30190
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    11,142
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Charlee, I want that cute white cabinet that you painted with the quilting motif on the side. You should start a business selling painted vintage cabinets. I know, I know... just lots of hours went into painting it, and you would have to charge lots more than what most folks are willing to pay for a cabinet like that...but dang that cabinet is so cool! I wish I could replicate that cute cabinet, but I can't. I can't paint worth a dang since I have essential tremors. My work wouldn't look very pretty. That cabinet would be so cool in a sewing room with a FW or toy Singer sitting on top...waahhh...why did you have to show us that cabinet.

    Again, you did a very nice job...so nice that I want one!
    I can't go near a paint brush - breaks my husband out in fear and trembling - I have been known to get paint in places you don't want to think about - I do it so easily too... Yup you could sell those - I think that is just adorable - some of those ugly tables could use a classy touch like that - I've seen more than enough 'shabby'
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.