Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3246 of 4374 FirstFirst ... 2246 2746 3146 3196 3236 3245 3246 3247 3256 3296 3346 3746 4246 ... LastLast
Results 32,451 to 32,460 of 43734

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Charlee, did you see his power sewing machine with bicycle generator? He's entertaining!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjZx...feature=relmfu
    ~laffin~ Getting someone to ride that bike for the whole time that I want to sew could be an issue!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I wonder if I could get Pat to pedal the bike while I sew. We all know how for this will get me. I have been keeping up with the threads but been planting garden and yard work for the last two weeks. We have had weather in the 80's so everything is growing and growing very early this year. So much to do and so little time. I have not had time to sew or play with my machines. Did pick up a 27 Sphinx with very good decals with very little silvering. I need to post my machines in the photo section someday. I have a 1968 New Home (electric with cams I bought when son was born) Made his clothes with it. The manual also said to remove the foot and it FM very well but only did it once. I prefer my treadles.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

He's sewing on heavy canvas, maybe artist canvas. Really heavy, stiff stuff might work better footless. I'll have to try it and see. If you watch, the fabric is stiff enough that it doesn't pull up much when the needle pulls back. Something to try! Laura
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Finally found the video! The guy doesn't use any foot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=WkZfXWSFWFk#!

Blog Entries
    I wonder what size needle and thread he is using? I punched a lot of canvas with my tent business - I used a huge needle but I was going through lots of layers. It might take some power to go through stiff canvas.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Very cool video. People are so talented. The tension seemed a bit whacky but only added to the cuteness of it. You could also add some stiff stabilizer to the back of it to make it not as flexible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    He's sewing on heavy canvas, maybe artist canvas. Really heavy, stiff stuff might work better footless. I'll have to try it and see. If you watch, the fabric is stiff enough that it doesn't pull up much when the needle pulls back. Something to try! Laura
    Laura, I noticed that too. I gave it a try on my sandwich quilting, but had no luck. I agree that a heavy canvas would work much better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Very cool video. People are so talented. The tension seemed a bit whacky but only added to the cuteness of it. You could also add some stiff stabilizer to the back of it to make it not as flexible.
    I liked the look of the thread build up, added texture and dimension. This person is very talented to be able to doodle with thread and a sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I wonder if I could get Pat to pedal the bike while I sew. We all know how for this will get me. I have been keeping up with the threads but been planting garden and yard work for the last two weeks. We have had weather in the 80's so everything is growing and growing very early this year. So much to do and so little time. I have not had time to sew or play with my machines. Did pick up a 27 Sphinx with very good decals with very little silvering. I need to post my machines in the photo section someday. I have a 1968 New Home (electric with cams I bought when son was born) Made his clothes with it. The manual also said to remove the foot and it FM very well but only did it once. I prefer my treadles.
    Also post photos of your garden!!! Turned to winter again here in the SF Bay Area. Hopefully it doesn't head east and kill off all those young plants. Spring is just around the corner!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
    Been reading everything everybody posts, enjoy it all. I've been busy make more miniature quilts because I've run out of room for big ones and I've made and given all my grandkids bed sized quilts. I am going to make all my greats (4 so far) bed sized ones soon. I've made them all crib sized ones. I'm into piecing by hand so I have something to do while TV is on (fall asleep otherwise).
    I do have a long arm quilting machine and I love to use the Essential Pro thread from Connecting Threads (no affiliation) it's 70 weigh 3 ply and comes in many colors. My vintage machines love it also, my computerized Brother likes it on top but not in the bobbin. Just thought I'd toss that info in about the thread in case anybody wants to try a really thin, strong thread. Another good thing is the price is very affordable.
    Hi, Weedwoman, thanks for recommendation of the 70wt thread. I have a Brother machine and find that none of the thread brands I've bought work that well in my Brother!! It always seems too thick, no matter the size of needle. I'm going to give this brand a try. I'm ok with the bobbin thread (Brother brand) and my machine works well with it. I use 50 wt and 90 wt for the bobbin.

None of the shops in my area carries the thread so on-line I will go!! Thanks!!

Name:  IMG_0760.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  959.5 KBThis is my favorite machine. LOL. It is in wonderful condition in spite of it's age. Light, and easy to carry, sews perfect straight lines. and will look nice displayed in my soon to be studio which will have a vinage look to it. This machine once belonged to my 83 year old mother's aunt. She bought it when she was in her 20's. I'm guessing it is about 90 years old.
    Last edited by Denise_the_Quilt_Lady; 03-19-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additional info