Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 AM

Glenn, your Sphinx machine is just beautiful, your did a terrific job cleaning her up. What and how did you polish up the metal on her? It is spotless, and shiny!
Anamaria
Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Joe, have you used sewing machine oil. I gave the area I was working on a quick swip with Dawn dish detergent and quickly rinsed it off with a wet paper towel. That stuff is strong. Then I dried it and soaked area in SM oil. In 15 minutes, I started wiping it off. I found decals in areas I had no idea that the machine had them. Be careful with the detergent. I did silver one small area. My Redeye decals are not bright, but I felt it was time to stop. It took several days or weeks, but it looks far better than it did.
I did at first and it didn't touch it. Perhaps now that I have most of it off the SMO will finish the job.

Joe
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Glenn,

Where are you hiding the pics of this Sphinx? I've gone back many pages and can't find anything.

Joe
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Glenn,

Where are you hiding the pics of this Sphinx? I've gone back many pages and can't find anything.

Joe
Joe, Glenn's Sphinx is in the photo shop! http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t130994.html

Nancy
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, gots a question for those of you who clean up ancient, antique, old, decrepit, grunge covered, sewing machines and succeed in not destroying the decals. Or, what's left of them.

I've been slowly cleaning a very thick coating of solidified oil and grunge off the exterior of the Minnesota MDL ~B~ I got last week. The outside of this machine looked like the inside of an old truck engine. I can actually see the decals now and they actually have some gold, green and red color left in them.

I've been gently using the Goop non pumice hand cleaner with soft cloths, tooth brushes and cotton balls and am pretty close to having gotten as much off as I think I can with out ruining what's left of the decals.

The Goop has softened the grunge and solidified oil but some of it doesn't want to come off. When I do get to the bottom of it the surface is sticky with Goop residue.

My question is, how do you get rid of the Goop residue?
I tried a damp cloth and it turned what was left of the clear coat milky, so that's pretty much out.

Once I've gotten it as clean as I can I'd like to put a coat of wax or something on it, but I can't really do that with any oily residue on it.

Joe

Joe, when I got my 1890 Davis HAVF machine it was coated in gunk, and every metal piece was brown with caked on gunk. I only used Dawn dish detergent and sewing machine oil to clean it, and Bar Keepers Friend to clean the bright metal. I had no sticky residue issues, and all the gunk came off. It took quite a while and a lot of patience, but it did come clean.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thank you all for the nice compliments on the 27. It really was a mess I did not know the decals were still there until I cleaned all the coal dust off. Now I have to learn how to thread and use it but I do have a manual and a complete puzzle box with attachments and even the screw drivers are there. So I will have fun with this one.

I agree...very nice cleanup job!!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM

Glenn, Your Sphinx is pretty!!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM

On the old board, if one misspelled a word in the title to a thread there was a way to correct it. I misspelled wick in the title of my new thread I started today and wish to correct that mistake. Does anyone here know how that gets done?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=BoJangles;5081007]Wow Glenn! What did you use to polish up the metal parts? I don't see one speck of rust? Was the polishing done by hand or did you use some kind of electric buffer? Really nice job cleaning up that Sphinx!

Have you all gone to the photo shop to see Glenn's Sphinx?

I used evaporust first and then polished with brasso with a dremel buffing wheel. But before I polished with the brasso I used used white rubbing compound by turtle wax normaly used on car paint jobs.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Glenn,

Did the Evapo-Rust remove the paint from the hand wheel? I have the same situation with my #1 66 treadle machine.

Joe