Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Welllllllllll....after a couple of days of "heat, oil, wiggle, heat oil, wiggle....wiggle some more...oil some more....etc." I employed my favorite repair method. "Honnnnnnneeeeeyyyyyyyyy!!"

The Köhler drops the feed dogs, but that lever wouldn't budge. The stop action knob to disengage the needle for winding the bobbin wouldn't budge either. The ever dutiful spousal unit came, sat, cussed and gently pounded them both into submission with the rubber handle of a screwdriver....or at least that's the method he was using when I left the room because I couldn't stand to watch!

He pulled the handwheel so I could clean there, and the bobbin winder. Uhmmmm...it kinda...sorta...fell apart while I was cleaning it. It has a wonderful spring in it that enables it to pop out when the bobbin is full... Need I tell you that my wonderful spousal unit has a rather colorful vocabulary? He knows how to use it too.... Thankfully he's also understanding, and didn't direct it at me...at least not out loud where I could hear!

All back together now, and I'm ready to strart work on the cabinet!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Coydog is a coyote dog cross. Kylee was half Siberian and half coyote. Mia Joy was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf. What a joy she was, too. Where? A housing development on the edge in the Manistee National Forest, but within the city limits of town. I am three streets in. The bear was two streets in at 7:15 in the evening. I know we share the area in the night, but I wish they'd stay in the woods during the day. I actually was more apprehensive when I met a wild coyote at 9:00 one evening with the two dogs I have now. Coyotes are so unpredictable.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Charlee you need to oil the thingy [ATTACH=CONFIG]339510[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails domestics-feed-dog-drop-thing-009.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

When you oil that thing tilt the machine up on end and drop Triflow in that little part - jiggle it - then tilt it the other way and oil - jiggle it. Don't forget to oil the part in the middle - it has to move too. There is a long rod connecting it to the feed dog drop knob/button/lever on the top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]339511[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339512[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails domestics-feed-dog-drop-thing-003.jpg   domestics-feed-dog-drop-thing-004.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 06-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339513[/ATTACH]
a redundant picture - oil that bad boy USE TRIFLOW so you don't have to use force.
Attached Thumbnails domestics-feed-dog-drop-thing-005.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 06-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Not to argue, because I'm sure you're right....but no Tri-flow right now, and not an option right now. The force was gentle, and didn't harm anything....

This is what mine looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339518[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag0022-533x800-.jpg   imag0023-533x800-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Did you guys take a sewing machine repair class or just pick this up, little by little. This thread is so interesting and I sure enjoy the information with pictures. I have a few questions for you guys, but will save them for another time. I just wanted to let you know that I'm kept busy for hours, reading your threads. Thank you all.

Claudia
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM

We have a new member, who, for some reason, can't post yet, altho he was able to send me a PM. His name is John, and he lives in Oregon. He can read posts here, but can't open any photos, and can't post in the forums. Anyway...John has a Standard that he's taken apart, cleaned and reassembled....with one little problem...he has one part left over. He remembers that it did come from this machine, he just doesn't remember WHERE in this machine! Any ideas? John thinks it's a spacer or guide of some sort, he's just not sure where it goes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339533[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339534[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339535[/ATTACH]

This is what he had to say about it:
I took this one a part to the point of the main shaft (crankshaft) I do remember parting this part out, but in putting it together didn't see where it came from... most these machines are a no Brainer ...

These standards are not like any other machine I have had ...there is less moving parts, it was froze up, now spins like a top. I haven't tried to sew with.
it picks up the bottom thread, but I don't want to screw anything up or take the chance. I do send about 3 days on each machine, because of having to polish every bearing surface inside of them..out of the 8 treadles there is only 2 that you use to hand wheel to start it going ...

I would think the part is a guide, it's made from round stock, machined flat on two sides then a screw hole. it does not look like it moves.. There is no screw holes under the bed, that leaves the tower. I was thinking it maybe a guide for the rod connecting the upper shaft to the lower , BUT the slot in the rod is much wider than this part is
Attached Thumbnails 100_8867.jpg   100_8863_0001.jpg   100_8862_0001.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Oh! And the machine that he cleaned up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339536[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_8859_0001.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Cathy or Pat, Did you ever meet James W. Slaten the author of Antique American Sewing Machines, A Value Guide? I understand he had a Singer Sewing Museum in Oakland. Last bit of info I could find on him was from 2008. Is this guy still alive? Do either of you own his book?
I assume so; don't think he was that old. I never met him but Katrina did, when she went to pick up a purchase; she said she was sort of creeped out and glad she had taken her husband with her. I was curious about him because of his bad reputation and bought something from him, but by that time he was no longer allowing local pickup. I do have the book somewhere--only because I had already bought it. I don't think I would recommend it.

pat