Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

If you're referring to the Frister and Rossman machine, it's a transverse shuttle, not a chainstitch.[/quote]

And I would not do anything with it but look at it after a good cleaning and oiling. Not many left with those decals and that complete.

Especially on this side of the pond!!!

Billy[/quote]

Thanks! And yes I noticed what nice a shape the decal is in the sewing bed. Not sure if I could leave it alone though. Would have to play with it and I know hubby is worse then me. But I hear you.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 AM

This machine is at an auction next week.
I have never heard of this one before but it sure is pretty!
Anyone ever hear of a New Defender??
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74313.jpe   attachment-74314.jpe  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 AM

Also this machine i on CL here.
the man won't give a price is taking offers and seems angry that the best offer he has had is $100
should I offer him more??
I think this is early 1880's???
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74317.jpe   attachment-74318.jpe  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
the man won't give a price is taking offers and seems angry that the best offer he has had is $100
I paid less that $20 for the New Home I have and its in better condition than that one is........And I would have to have the serial to date the machine for you but it is possible it could be that early.

Billy
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thanks! And yes I noticed what nice a shape the decal is in the sewing bed. Not sure if I could leave it alone though. Would have to play with it and I know hubby is worse then me. But I hear you.
You would be ruining a valuable piece of history by using that machine. All it will do is shoot through the roof in value over the years. Plus the needles would be way too expensive and hard to come by to do that anyway.

Its like finding a Duesnberg in wonderful original condition and wanting to drive it everyday...........Its just not right.

Billy
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 AM

Don't think I want to offer him anything!
"can't give the serial # and won't show it unless I offer more than the $100"
I really isn't in the best shape from the pictures.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

This machine is at an auction next week.
I have never heard of this one before but it sure is pretty!
Anyone ever hear of a New Defender??
Badged machine!! But its so lovely and in wonderful condition. I think its a National or Davis but I would have to compare the two together before I can say who made it.

If your going to the auction anyway I would hang out and try to get it. Funny how all of the hard to find machines go for cheap because its not a "Singer" :lol:

Billy
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea on the offer but $100 seems reasonable to offer. Did he counter? He can always decline. Prices vary a lot. I paid on the higher end, $220, for my treadle but that is because I wanted one like that. The head was in very nice condition and it was in O.K. fixable shape. No parts and no manual though. I had the opportunity to buy 1800-s phinx Singer and more ornate cabinets in running condition with parts and booklet for $150 but by passed because it was not what I wanted. My time and DH's is valuable too. It seems similar machines can flex from $40 to $400 a machine for treadles on our CL with no rhyme or reason as to how old they are or in what shape. People seem to look at ebay and think they have $350 treadle because they see something expensive there while what they have is something sad because it was left out in the yard.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51quote

You would be ruining a valuable piece of history by using that machine. All it will do is shoot through the roof in value over the years. Plus the needles would be way too expensive and hard to come by to do that anyway.

Its like finding a Duesnberg in wonderful original condition and wanting to drive it everyday...........Its just not right.

Billy
Billy you are so right. I think I should not buy it but you should! It is just a small machine so either Lisa could hang onto it till you came through or you could have it shipped? I have sofar seen only one online like it and this one has a much better nautical decal. Indeed it is nice.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Note the square corners on the machine bed. New Home revised their Model A sometime in the 1880's to have a more rounded bed, so this one is from somewhere in the 1870's to 1880's. The pictures aren't great, and it's hard to tell about the condition of the decals. The bed decal on these machines are sometimes very pretty; the one I have (in a parlor cabinet) has a house and garden.

Many people think that just because something is old, it's worth a lot of money. We all know better!!