Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Default re:Pfaff 60 treadle

I got it back in the cabinet and discovered that the belt it came with is about 6" too short<sigh>. So now I have to figure out where to get a longer belt.
The local Pfaff dealer is no help at all, he treats me like I'm stupid. grrrrr! He forgets that I know how to fit a treadle belt. I've only been using treadle machines since 2007. Its really difficult not to make snotty,unkind remarks to that man. (Sorry for the ranting, I feel better now)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I got it back in the cabinet and discovered that the belt it came with is about 6" too short<sigh>. So now I have to figure out where to get a longer belt.
The local Pfaff dealer is no help at all, he treats me like I'm stupid. grrrrr! He forgets that I know how to fit a treadle belt. I've only been using treadle machines since 2007. Its really difficult not to make snotty,unkind remarks to that man. (Sorry for the ranting, I feel better now)
So go there and ask him, nicely, if he knows where you can buy a leather shoelace because that'll do in a pinch. Try not to take umbrage at his outraged expression as he shoos you out the door.

BTW: I realize my answer wasn't much help but there are people who do use a leather shoelace/bootlace for a treadle belt.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:37 PM

Charlee has talked about the shoe laces, and others have mentioned aquarium tubing, to use for a treadle belt.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM

The aquarium tubing works pretty good. I'm running my 9W-7 #1 with it right now:

Pull it around and cut it where it would meet up. Then cut 1" off that to use as a coupler. To make the coupler slit the one inch piece length wise, roll it up tight and put it in one end then the other.
It's cheep too.

Joe
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Joe, Your Singer 9W looks pretty. Glad you got the aquarium hose to work. Directions are as simple as that!
And yes, the tubing is cheap.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM

I've even heard that braided string or fabric will work in a pinch. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Joe; Here's pictures of Sad Sally, the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails old-treadle-cabinet-001.jpg   old-treadle-cabinet-003.jpg   old-treadle-cabinet-002.jpg   old-treadle-cabinet-004.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM

I found an ancient, decrepit manual in one of the 2 drawers for this machine. It used a bullet type shuttle,which could be replaced for $.75 at the time and a replacement oil can was only $.10. Replacement bobbins were $.02 apiece. The last page of the manual I have, it's only a partial, ends with these words of wisdom. "Always speak a good word for your machine whenever and wherever you can. I put in their emphasis.

I have from page 6 to page 26 of this manual and have no idea what machine was originally in the cabinet. Also, cabinet is missing the left extension on the cabinet itself.

How do I preserve the manual which is falling apart?
Chris

Last edited by chris_quilts; 08-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
So go there and ask him, nicely, if he knows where you can buy a leather shoelace because that'll do in a pinch. Try not to take umbrage at his outraged expression as he shoos you out the door.

BTW: I realize my answer wasn't much help but there are people who do use a leather shoelace/bootlace for a treadle belt.
Cindy Peters has to come to my rescue, she'll be sending me a 7' belt, she said I may have an industrial type treadle like her 130 Pfaff has.
Sharon
Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11158125
here's a red one on Shopgoodwill. It is just like the one my boss has. I don't know about that one but his is a very nice machine.