Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 PM

I've finally got my Kenmore 120-49 up and running. Or so I thought. I got the tension problems fixed and have been sewing on heavy cotton scraps (kind of like light canvas) and denim and the machine is working great.
So good I figured it was time to rewire it and get rid of the bad wiring. I did that today and wanted to show my wife what I'd done. So with her standing there I grabbed a piece of fleece and tried to sew on it. It sews fine on denim and folded over light canvas, but the top thread won't pick up the bobbin when I tried to sew on the fleece.
I've never had this problem.
The tension no doubt needs fine tuning, but to not stitch at all???????????

Double checked the threading -OK

Top thread picks up the bobbin thread and it sews on denim and canvas, but not fleece.

Tomorrow I'll dig out the owners manual, but I am bamboozled at this.

Joe
Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 PM

meds.... joe take your meds
Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Ouch, sorry about the fall Sharon, hurrah for 911 though!

i'm still lusting in my heart for a pink 15 clone...
In fact I'm specifically lusting for this machine

but new to the game, did Brother buy clones and then rebadge them for others (it says Brother on the base)
or is this not a 15?

thanks, I really appreciate the information shared here, I have nothing to add so don't
My OSMG said that Brother made machines that got different badges on them, like Wizard for Western Auto, and the Atlas machine is made by Brother. There is information about this in the yahoo group for vintage japanese machines.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I've finally got my Kenmore 120-49 up and running. Or so I thought. I got the tension problems fixed and have been sewing on heavy cotton scraps (kind of like light canvas) and denim and the machine is working great.
So good I figured it was time to rewire it and get rid of the bad wiring. I did that today and wanted to show my wife what I'd done. So with her standing there I grabbed a piece of fleece and tried to sew on it. It sews fine on denim and folded over light canvas, but the top thread won't pick up the bobbin when I tried to sew on the fleece.

Top thread picks up the bobbin thread and it sews on denim and canvas, but not fleece.

Joe
If the fleece is stretchy, it may need a knit needle or a Q foot.

Glad that Miriam and Skip had such fun. Sorry about your fall, Sharon, and glad you got help and were ok.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Nancy,
I bought a 1/4" x 84" belt from Cindy Peters, it arrived yesterday and I shortened it and got it put on. I thought about buying a roll of belt leather rather than just a belt. My new Pfaff is in very good condition, only needed to have the spider egg sacs vacuumed off and the machine and treadle delinted and oiled. After I installed the new belt, I sewed on
a scrap of fabric; it sews very nicely and no clanking or squeaking anywhere.

However I didn't get to sew for very long. I was talking to Cindy on my cell phone and not paying attention to where I was walking. I tripped over a laundry basket that was in the hall. I'd gone to get a spool of thread from the treadle room and a UFO that I'm piecing. I fell really hard(hardwood floors here) and thought that I'd broken my hip, I managed to get up off the floor and I couldn't move my left leg. So....I called 911 and the EMT's were sent to my house; took a trip to the hospital and spent the next 7 hours in the ER. The x-rays and CT scan showed nothing was broken in my knee or hip; only lots of soft tissue damage. My left knee,hip and cheek are scraped and bruised, lots of pretty colors.
I won't be treadling for a while.
Sharon W.
Sharon OUCH! I bet you are covered with bruises! Darn that doesn't sound like much fun at all! Well, I am glad nothing was broken! Now you just have to get well so you can go back and sew with that new Pfaff!

I have been very busy with grandkids for the last few weeks. I haven't had much time to visit this shop. Two of my granddaughters are happily making a quilt, but it seems I spend a lot of time ripping and re-doing things for them! I am getting no sewing of my own done - but we are having a blast.

Anyway, no more falling!

Nancy
Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe

Different tasks require different feet and different needles, like Melinda said.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Candace,
Oh my goodness! I'm not sure whether the runner was stupid or just determined to finish the race.
Sharon
Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Glenn and Miriam,
It sounds like everyone had a great time. I've seen a Singer 12 just like yours "in the flesh" so to speak. My friend owns one, its just amazing the way the cabinet's cover folds down to form a large sewing surface.
Sharon W.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks for all the condolences and good wishes. My church group has been praying with us and I'm sure that's why I'm feeling better.
I may have dh bring the Pfaff treadle out for me and see if I can treadle for a while, it might be some gentle exercise for my hip and knee. I'll be so happy when the swelling in my knee and hip go down, I can't get pants/shorts on right now; they just don't fit because of the swelling. I'm not a good patient, I'm so used to being active either sewing or in the pool.
Sharon W.

Last edited by purplefiend; 08-10-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Thanks for all the condolences and good wishes. My church group has been praying with us and I'm sure that's why I'm feeling better.
I may have dh bring the Pfaff treadle out for me and see if I can treadle for a while, it might be some gentle exercise for my hip and knee. I'll be so happy when the swelling in my knee and hip go down, I can't get pants/shorts on right now; they just don't fit because of the swelling. I'm not a good patient, I'm so used to being active either sewing or in the pool.
Sharon W.
HHHMMMM you might need a new look - try Lycra pants....