Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3737 of 4383 FirstFirst ... 2737 3237 3637 3687 3727 3736 3737 3738 3747 3787 3837 4237 ... LastLast
Results 37,361 to 37,370 of 43826

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #37361
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,207
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    I just bought a button holer that I thought would fit on my 401A, but am now unsure and need help. It is aSinger Professional buttonholer and says it is for vertical zigz-zag sewing machines. In the book it shows 3 different cover plates. I have the # 86748, and it says that is for vertical-needle zig-zag sewing. Will that one work with my machine?
    Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm totally new concering these slant shank sewing machines.
    If you look at the button hole maker at the top where it holds on to the shaft it should say 'slant' if it will fit a 401 or other slant machine. There are a couple different kinds. One comes in a pink or green case - they load the cam from the bottom. There is also a professional button hole maker - it loads from the top. There is a professional button hole maker that works on short shank - it is marked 'straight' on the top where it attaches to the shaft. I don't know why but I like the one that loads from the bottom better even though you have to remove it to change cams and I can't tell you why I like it better.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  2. #37362
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,207
    Blog Entries
    2
    [QUOTE
    Miriam did you get to see Glenn's quilt in the flesh?[/QUOTE]

    NOooooOOOOOOOooooooooo Glenn left it at home. I did get to pet his dog.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  3. #37363
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The only way is to steam it very hot for about 30 to 40 minutes then form it in a form of the bend you want and leave it for 24 hours. Now you will have to make a form to hold it until set. Wetting it will not do it.

    Skip
    Skip,

    I have the rest of the part it attaches to as the form. Leaving it is no problem. Finding something to steam it with is. What do you use?

    Joe

  4. #37364
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Posts
    1,444
    Thanks Miriam, I never loooked to see if it said anything on the part that attaches to the shank. In fact, I didn't even look at that part. Dumb me!
    Will these plastic button holer templates work in the other button holers too? I have always had the metal ones, and never thought that some would be made of plastic, but now I know. I guess when they started making the gears on the machines in plastic, these came along too in plastic.

  5. #37365
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,207
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Thanks Miriam, I never loooked to see if it said anything on the part that attaches to the shank. In fact, I didn't even look at that part. Dumb me!
    Will these plastic button holer templates work in the other button holers too? I have always had the metal ones, and never thought that some would be made of plastic, but now I know. I guess when they started making the gears on the machines in plastic, these came along too in plastic.
    I don't know if they are suppose to but I've done it
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  6. #37366
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,643
    Not Miriam, but the button hollers were not marked prior to the introduction of the slant shank machines.
    And I'm not sure the Greist versions were marked. Hang on while I go take a look see ............................
    OK, I'm back. Neither my Singer nor Greist slant shank button hollers are marked "slant". I guess that came later.
    The standard plastic and metal cams are interchangeable. The cams for the Professional Buttonholler are larger and not interchangeable.

    Joe

  7. #37367
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,207
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Not Miriam, but the button hollers were not marked prior to the introduction of the slant shank machines.
    And I'm not sure the Greist versions were marked. Hang on while I go take a look see ............................
    OK, I'm back. Neither my Singer nor Greist slant shank button hollers are marked "slant". I guess that came later.
    The standard plastic and metal cams are interchangeable. The cams for the Professional Buttonholler are larger and not interchangeable.

    Joe
    The professional button holer is marked straight or slant - you are right the older ones are NOT marked - the ones that are slant are marked slant on the shank holder part
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  8. #37368
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,643
    Not mine.

    My one low shank Singer Professional Buttonholler is not marked at all.

    Neither of my standard slant shank Buttonhollers are marked.
    The Singer has the black wedge shaped metal body and is in a burgundy colored plastic box.
    The Greist has the black hump shape metal body and is in the brown tweed colored box with the dark brown text on it.

    Two of my low shank Singer standard Buttonhollers are marked with "straight" on the mounting place.
    Both are the beige plastic bodied versions, one is in a green plastic egg the other in a white pasteboard box with it's picture on the front.

    None of my other ones are marked.

    Joe

  9. #37369
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Not mine.

    My one low shank Singer Professional Buttonholler is not marked at all.

    Neither of my standard slant shank Buttonhollers are marked.
    The Singer has the black wedge shaped metal body and is in a burgundy colored plastic box.
    The Greist has the black hump shape metal body and is in the brown tweed colored box with the dark brown text on it.

    Two of my low shank Singer standard Buttonhollers are marked with "straight" on the mounting place.
    Both are the beige plastic bodied versions, one is in a green plastic egg the other in a white pasteboard box with it's picture on the front.

    None of my other ones are marked.

    Joe
    I have the buttonholer that was with my 301, and it is the same as Joe's, black wedge shaped in burgundy plastic box. No markings.

  10. #37370
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    455
    Joe,

    Yes, the Q foot is a clear plastic kenmore foot that came with q needles. I see them in sets on shop goodwill sometimes. That foot was the life saver for t shirt type fabrics. Also, you can try cheating the needle down just a smidge, if you don't have the q foot. Not sure of the logic, just that it sometimes worked back in the day.
    Melinda

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.