Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Actually I used OxyMagic to get it really nice and new looking. i just happened to set it up on the counter by the Joy.

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I found a machine when cleaning out the attic of the house we just sold. It is a White Model CB Deluxe Precisioin Sewing Machine in a carrying case. When I took it out of the carry case (a white one) I saw that it says Made in Japan underneath and has the following idenification:

LA 19.NA.3346

on it towards the side at the bottom of the part that fits in the carry case. It is a light metallic blue. I will try to put a pic with this message. Can you help me ID it further as to its age and anything else you might know about it?
I can see the Joy in the back ground, is that what you used to clean her with?
I hope Billy sees your machine so he can guide you to find the info.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
I am looking for treadle irons only, and found this posting on my local CL. I do not think the person will get what they are asking, so can anyone suggest an offer I could make?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/atq/2018586640.html
The person selling this machine and cabinet is delusional
IMHO. It might be worth $15 at most. I have no idea why
people think that any machine that's old and black
(no matter condition), must be worth a fortune! Who are they kidding?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I saw this mentioned on another board I belong to - just thought you might like to see it - is she daft, delusional, or should we all be locking up our machines?

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.a...81474978577270
"Whatever the case may be, one hopes that the sewing machine swap is not the beginnings of some sort of crafty seamstress-gang activity."

ROFLMAO!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I found a machine when cleaning out the attic of the house we just sold. It is a White Model CB Deluxe Precisioin Sewing Machine in a carrying case. When I took it out of the carry case (a white one) I saw that it says Made in Japan underneath and has the following idenification:

LA 19.NA.3346

on it towards the side at the bottom of the part that fits in the carry case. It is a light metallic blue. I will try to put a pic with this message. Can you help me ID it further as to its age and anything else you might know about it?
I looked up the Number you gave under "White Machine Dating and Research" and could not find that number. There is a message on this site that states "White started importing as early as 1953," and that "in 1958 all production (of White's) went to Japan."

That is a really pretty machine. I hope someone else can help you find some informaiton on the machine.

Nancy
Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Thank you, Nancy. As far as I can figure, if the machine actually did belong to my Aunt, it would have been around 1960 or a little earlier so this fits right in.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Yes, it uses cams. But she never used them. She made western outfits, jeans, you name it, never used the cams. Over oiled it once, or so the repairman said, still will sew anything she throws at it.
Now, I am even more intrigued! So it will sew even without the cams! Oh well, next time I will know enough to buy the machine.

Thanks so much!

Nancy
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
I am looking for treadle irons only, and found this posting on my local CL. I do not think the person will get what they are asking, so can anyone suggest an offer I could make?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/atq/2018586640.html
Jenna, I would keep watching CraigsList. Even though the machine in question is probably pre 1900 from the picture (I never believe it when people give a date until I look it up), the machine and so called cabinet are not worth what they are asking. They'd be lucky to get $50 around here. The machine is probably frozen up and the cabinet is shot.

I bet, if you just keep an eye out, you will find a nice treadle for a lot less money. I have 7 treadles now and the most I paid for any of them, even my 1887 Wheeler and Wilson was $90. (That machine and cabinet are beautiful by the way.) All of my cabinets are way better than the one you are looking at. If you just want the treadle then watch for a machine that is not in good shape for cheap -- then buy it for the treadle.

Nancy
Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Jenna, I agree with BoJangles. I have purchased several treadles here in Oregon for $50 or less, and the machines, cabinets, and irons were much better than this one. If you offer what this one is really worth, the seller will just be insulted. Better to wait for a better buy to come along.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 PM

HI All,
Yet another vintage newbie question...I saw a Singer 347, baby blue today at a thrift store. It didn't have a bobbin/bobbin case, and was a model made in Great Britain. Does anyone know what bobbin it uses, if there is a bobbin case and will US parts fit a GB made machine. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Jenna, I agree with BoJangles. I have purchased several treadles here in Oregon for $50 or less, and the machines, cabinets, and irons were much better than this one. If you offer what this one is really worth, the seller will just be insulted. Better to wait for a better buy to come along.
My hubby does not think the seller would take a lower (like $25) offer anyway, so I will let this one ride a while and see how much they come down. The listing started at $600, so in time it maybe a doable price, lol. Most treadles here that are decent are higher than $50, like $100 and up, but I really only want irons right now so looking for cheap.

Oh, and I did find another in about the same condition for $25, so I think I will check that one out.

Thanks everyone for the replies :D