Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Chamby use dry paper towels to wipe off the hand cleaner. I will tell you from experience that it will probably take a week or so before you get it clean. Just take your time and go over it a few times and you will be amazed!!

I can not wait to see the photos.

Billy
Thanks Billy,
But HELP!!!
I threaded my machine. I have the top thread and the bobbin thread according to the book. The threads are not catching, they are not sewing together. What is wrong???
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
Chamby use dry paper towels to wipe off the hand cleaner. I will tell you from experience that it will probably take a week or so before you get it clean. Just take your time and go over it a few times and you will be amazed!!

I can not wait to see the photos.

Billy
Thanks Billy,
But HELP!!!
I threaded my machine. I have the top thread and the bobbin thread according to the book. The threads are not catching, they are not sewing together. What is wrong???
Okay Billy, dummy me. I had the needle in wrong. oops. I put the needle in like I would on my modern machine. Needle hole front to back. It actually gets threaded from the side.
Hey haven't sewn on this type of machine since I was a young girl. I have adjusted the thread tension and finally got a decent stitch.
All in all I am having a lot fun with this. Brings back a lot of memories. I met a lady in the sewing machine shop this evening that stated that she sews on her treadle. I will keep cleaning and post pics sometime next week maybe. Again thanks for all of your help. Oh, yeah can I buy veneer at Lowes or Home Depot?
Thanks
Charlene
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Thanks Billy,
But HELP!!!

Sounds like the bobbin thread is not right just from your description.

The bobbin thread needs to go between the housing and the spring then you will see a little relief where the thread cuts across the bobbin and goes to the notch in the bobbin plate. Pull the top thread to the side while you turn the handwheel to you and it will pick up the thread.

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks Billy,
But HELP!!!

Sounds like the bobbin thread is not right just from your description.

The bobbin thread needs to go between the housing and the spring then you will see a little relief where the thread cuts across the bobbin and goes to the notch in the bobbin plate. Pull the top thread to the side while you turn the handwheel to you and it will pick up the thread.

Billy
Thanks Billy, See my previous post. I figured out the problem after sitting down with the manual.
Charlene
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Okay Billy, dummy me. I had the needle in wrong. oops. I put the needle in like I would on my modern machine. Needle hole front to back. It actually gets threaded from the side.

Again thanks for all of your help. Oh, yeah can I buy veneer at Lowes or Home Depot?
Thanks
Charlene
I bought mine at Lowes and it was the right thickness to reveneer the machine (1/8") I found it back where they have the you finish cabinets.

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

I saw your post after I posted that one. I am glad you have it working like a champ!!!

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 PM

The neat thing about veneer is that you can cut it with a sharp pair of scissors...and I've seen some absolutely gorgeous "inlay" patterns done with the different types of wood! :)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
The neat thing about veneer is that you can cut it with a sharp pair of scissors...and I've seen some absolutely gorgeous "inlay" patterns done with the different types of wood! :)
I have a table here in my living room that is like that all sorts of patterns in it from the veneer. But the veneer on the singer treadles is more like plywood its about an 1/8" thick.

I refinished my treadle top I had in here until I converted the shop into a studio and used the treadle for the central treadle. It was not that fun to do but the results were very pleasing!!

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Boy do I feel silly. I just realized I typed 603-A instead of 503-A for my mom's Singer.

Anyway, I found the brochures/manual if anyone is interested in copies. Let me know.
I love your Mom's Singer. I remember when my Mom got hers. I will have to check with my Mom to see what she did with that. Thank you so much for the trip down memory lane.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Terryl
.... Oh my, I do believe I am now offically a hoarder. This makes (if I buy her) 5 machine purchases for me in the past 3 weeks :) :) :)
Hi, I might be a horder with along with you. But, the history of these machines are so intriguing. I find I am getting slightly more selective... maybe :roll: :roll: :roll: