Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
OK, I am back into my own account. A few posts back I mentioned that after cleaning a little, I could see that it was a G....it was stamped very close to the edge. I just took more pictures that I think will show it better.
Yep, it is a 1919 machine! Now that, that is settled, have fun with her! Are you going to take the motor off her? She didn't have a motor originally! When motors became available, lots of people put them on their treadles -- back then, I guess, it was pretty exciting to have a motorized machine!

Nancy
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Isn't it interesting how we view things? When motors came out for the sewing machines, there were obviously many who couldn't wait to have the ease of sitting down to a motorized machine. Now there are many of us who would prefer to use the treadle.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
OK, I am back into my own account. A few posts back I mentioned that after cleaning a little, I could see that it was a G....it was stamped very close to the edge. I just took more pictures that I think will show it better.
Yep, it is a 1919 machine! Now that, that is settled, have fun with her! Are you going to take the motor off her? She didn't have a motor originally! When motors became available, lots of people put them on their treadles -- back then, I guess, it was pretty exciting to have a motorized machine!
I have to do some work on the cabinet, too. The veneer is loose and broken in many places. I have refinished my dining room table before, but that was solid wood. Any hints for the process are welcome.

Nancy
Yes, I will be taking the motor off {the cord is messed up and in two peices}. The treadle is what I was looking for. I have been excited about getting a treadle by those on the board who have used them. I am going to clean the frame today, before we reattach it to the cabinet. Then I will be cleaning the machine and ordering a belt. I will probably need the 'tire' for the bobbin winder too. Is there a place I can print off a manual for this machine? Also, is there a good site to identify the attachements I have?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks for your new photo. My son and I had fun with this mystery, and he now agrees with you on the 'G'. Thanks for the fun entertainment. Enjoy your new vintage machine.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM

There was a box wired onto the bracket between the legs of the treadle. My DS stopped by and was looking at it. He wanted to plug it in to see if it worked. I showed him the box that I took off. I noticed some wire coiled in it like springs...or heating coils. He says it looks like a small ceramic heater. It has an outlet in the cord to plug a motor and a light into it. I found out my machine is a model 127, and was manufactured in Elizabeth, NJ on March 4, 1919. They told me i can download a free copy of the instruction manual at www.singerco.com
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM

There was a box wired onto the bracket between the legs of the treadle. My DS stopped by and was looking at it. He wanted to plug it in to see if it worked. I showed him the box that I took off. I noticed some wire coiled in it like springs...or heating coils. He says it looks like a small ceramic heater. It has an outlet in the cord to plug a motor and a light into it. I found out my machine is a model 127, and was manufactured in Elizabeth, NJ on March 4, 1919. They told me i can download a free copy of the instruction manual at www.singerco.com
My 1st Singer cabinet had a box like that, my friend gave it to
me. It had no machine, my 201K-4 lives in it.
It took me awhile to find all the treadle parts again, the belt wheel,belt guide and skirt guard were all missing. From what I gather the treadle pedal was used to power the machine via the electrical box.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Here is an instruction manual you can download from ISMACs for the 127.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ls/127-128.pdf

Very interesting thing about the little thing you think looks like a ceramic heater. Those ladies didn't have the heat in their houses we do and I bet their legs got cold -- especially if they had towear skirts! Interesting!

Nancy
Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM

I thought it was quiet here, but listening closely I can hear all the Christmas elves speedily sewing- such a glorious hum. Have fun with your projects!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I thought it was quiet here, but listening closely I can hear all the Christmas elves speedily sewing- such a glorious hum. Have fun with your projects!
What a sweet post! I can hear those machines too! I am one of those that are very busy -- I decided yesterday to make my FIL a quilt. I am using a Wilmington Prints pattern -- was a lighthouse - but, I am doing my own thing with a deer panel! I hope it goes fast as I have till Thursday to get it completely done and quilted!

Oh and I am putting all the borders on my last two quilts with my 15-88 treadle!~

Nancy
Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Miz Johnny did you get all the Boye 10 needles that I had bid on off of E-Bay? I bid on like 10 different tubes, some with 12 needles, some with 5 needles for my Davis and I lost everyone to someone that outbid me the last second! Someone out there is using her Davis Vertical Feed Treadle! I wasn't even worried about it as I didn't think those needles were that popular!

I hope you got them Miz Johnny as I know you use your Davis! LOL or any one of you for that matter -- I hope someone got the needles to use them!

Nancy