Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Have a question for FW owners. Did FWs ever come in a curved top wooden box? I ask b/c I called about a Singer and all the seller could tell me was that it was black and came in the curved top wooden box and also had some attachments. She is supposed to email the serial # tomorrow so I can find out more information for me (and her.) Would appreciate any input regarding the carrying case(s) for FWs.

Chris
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Sorry about the double post. :)
Chris
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cvardiman
Hello, My name is Catharina,

I am an immigrant from the Netherlands.

I own an old Singer threadle machine and would like to find out if there is a place where I can buy parts.

Any assist welcome.

Thank you very much.

Catharina :-D
Hi Catharina...(what a pretty name!) and welcome. I don't have an answer for you but if you keep reading this forum or do a "search" you may find your answers. I've learned so much just by reading everything that is posted in this forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My 301a just arrived. So far nothing about her says 'keep me here', but that may change when she warms enough so I can sew something.
As soon as she warms up she will start whispering to you :-D keep me....keep me....keep me. I LOVE my 301's. Which color is your?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I never paid anything over $20 for a machine in this condition with treadle.

Billy
Billy you are just very lucky or a very good barterer! I don't see what is so bad about that cabinet? I have bought much worse and fixed them up! I think, for being 112 years old, that machine and cabinet look better than most! Are we all looking at the same machine? It looks complete and you can still see most of the decals? I bet she will shine up very pretty!

Nancy
I agree with this. I think that cabinet is very pretty plus most of the treadle cabinets that I've been seeing on CL, lately, are in really bad shape and don't have that pretty woodworking on the drawers, etc and they are asking so much more.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
You girls are starting to remind of a late Aunt of mine, who would hide a new dress under an old dress when purchased to keep it unknowing to her DH. If you purchased the little lady with your money, 'why hide it?'
Cherrybsixty, it is always good to hear from you! Actually, my Hubby is as bad as I am in bringing home those old machines. He brought my Light Running New Home and a White 1950 machine in a cabinet home without me knowing about them. He loves to go garage sale shopping, thrift store shopping, antique store shopping for the old machines -- it gives him a kick to find one before I spot it.

Yes, it is my money, but we don't differentiate that way. It is just that I am not sure he would be really thrilled about me getting my 3rd FW since they are so pricey and the white ones around here are even more pricey than the black ones. Besides, I am dealing on a Free Treadle (made by Free, not free to get it) so I want to get that treadle before I tell him about the white FW. As soon as I get the Free treadle nicely tucked away in this house I will show him the white FW. A white FW is one machine he will notice -- it doesn't blend in!

Nancy
Nancy, you have to forgive me I'm an old widow girl who ran her on roost when HE was alive and ladies whatever makes life work for you and your home don't mind me. I've been lurking around the ole shop with nothing to say, that's why I said absolutely nothing to say.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Have a question for FW owners. Did FWs ever come in a curved top wooden box? I ask b/c I called about a Singer and all the seller could tell me was that it was black and came in the curved top wooden box and also had some attachments. She is supposed to email the serial # tomorrow so I can find out more information for me (and her.) Would appreciate any input regarding the carrying case(s) for FWs.

Chris
I don't think so. I have 2 FWs and they both have a black square case, not curved wood. Earlier machines are attached to the wooden cases with the curved tops. FW are stand-alone machines.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Have a question for FW owners. Did FWs ever come in a curved top wooden box? Chris
I don't think so. I have 2 FWs and they both have a black square case, not curved wood.
Thanks. I will help her find out info.

Chris
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I never paid anything over $20 for a machine in this condition with treadle.

Billy
Billy you are just very lucky or a very good barterer! I don't see what is so bad about that cabinet? I have bought much worse and fixed them up! I think, for being 112 years old, that machine and cabinet look better than most! Are we all looking at the same machine? It looks complete and you can still see most of the decals? I bet she will shine up very pretty!

Nancy
I agree with this. I think that cabinet is very pretty plus most of the treadle cabinets that I've been seeing on CL, lately, are in really bad shape and don't have that pretty woodworking on the drawers, etc and they are asking so much more.
She is very restorable and I would love to have it I was just saying try and to talk them down some on the machine. The cabinet would be very pretty once you gave it a little TLC.

Billy
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

I wish I could show you the machine but I haven't started on it yet for the other s I have in front of it. But the color is absolutely gorgeous!!

Billy