Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 PM

By the way if my Davis takes the davis long or boyle 10 what needle can I use? Maybe Nancy can answer this for me I now have a singer needle in it15x1 and it works. All my treadles are singers and this davis is new to me but fun to sew with. Can you buy this size needle? Glenn

I was wondering the same thing, Glenn. I read somewhere you can use a reg. needle as long as you don't push it all the way up where the needle goes and as long as you are getting a good stitch that's all that matters. Any other opinions out there?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Anyway, I came across this site and found a set-up to have 5 treadle treadle machines over 5 treadle bases under one custom made table! What a great space saver!! Check it out (scroll down the page a little bit):
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html
Ah this is the lady you need to blame for my love of quilting! Annie is the sweetest person in the world and her hubby is a very talented contractor that built her the table. I talked to her the other day and she has been in Texas for the last few years doing the island life and loving it! She does all of her quilting on a machine like mine.

Billy
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

[quote=Weedwoman]By the way if my Davis takes the davis long or boyle 10 what needle can I use? Maybe Nancy can answer this for me I now have a singer needle in it15x1 and it works. All my treadles are singers and this davis is new to me but fun to sew with. Can you buy this size needle? Glenn

Will 1x2 longs fit?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM

So the CL post for that Minnehaha in Modesto has made it to the Bay Area listing. This time the guy posts it for $1200, up by $200 from his Modesto posting.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2201851712.html
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
So the CL post for that Minnehaha in Modesto has made it to the Bay Area listing. This time the guy posts it for $1200, up by $200 from his Modesto posting.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2201851712.html
Is that insane or what?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM

[quote=tomilu]
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
By the way if my Davis takes the davis long or boyle 10 what needle can I use? Maybe Nancy can answer this for me I now have a singer needle in it15x1 and it works. All my treadles are singers and this davis is new to me but fun to sew with. Can you buy this size needle? Glenn

Will 1x2 longs fit?
Yes 1x2 will fit. Where to I get them? Glenn
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM

The shape of the drawers is the same as my Mason. My drawers pull open from the side however.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
A friend asked me to take a look at her Grandma's old 99k singer. It had no cabinet or case and my husband made a box for it.

My question is this - I am usually really good with machines but I CAN NOT get this thing to sew!! It stitches lovely on top but the underside is a dissaster - I tried the tension, top and bottom and a new needle (130/705 system - is that OK?) - still bad. I also tried the needle foot pressure as it was screwed way up higher than I have seen before - it did seem to improve a little - but just when I thought the stitching was improving (still bad) the thread would jump out of the tension mechanism.....

I have a feeling the top tension is not working, the machine is in good clean condition and sounds ok when it is running......

Any ideas guys?
If the tension isn't the problem, check if your bottom thread is catching on something. Take out the bobbin race and look carefully for a scratch or burr. Watch the thread as you turn the wheel and look for where the thread is catching - it can be something as easy as a piece of thread or lint caught in the path of the thread.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM

I think so - any tips?

does the 99k bobbin have holes in it?

The one in the machine is a blank with no holes (I use Bernina's and its years since I used a singer!! - my vinage ones are for looking at!!!)
The bobbin that the 99K uses is a class 66, has the hole in the center;3 holes + 1 little hole on each side. Its slightly domed. Sometimes the older bobbins only have 1 little hole and the one in the center.
The vintage bobbins work best, most of the new bobbins are poorly made and often the hole in the center is too small for the bobbin winder spindle.

Here's a link to what they look like. I'm not reccomending these, only so you know what to look like.

http://www.sewingpartsdirect.com/bob...ck-172222.aspx

Sharon W.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I think so - any tips?

does the 99k bobbin have holes in it?

The one in the machine is a blank with no holes (I use Bernina's and its years since I used a singer!! - my vinage ones are for looking at!!!)
The bobbin that the 99K uses is a class 66, has the hole in the center;3 holes + 1 little hole on each side. Its slightly domed. Sometimes the older bobbins only have 1 little hole and the one in the center.
The vintage bobbins work best, most of the new bobbins are poorly made and often the hole in the center is too small for the bobbin winder spindle.

Here's a link to what they look like. I'm not reccomending these, only so you know what to look like.

http://www.sewingpartsdirect.com/bob...ck-172222.aspx

Sharon W.
Some of your 66 and 99's are finicky as to what bobbins they use and thats why I carry the Singer brand bobbins and not the aftermarket ones. I have 3 or 4 machines that do not like the aftermarket bobbins and one that does. :roll:

If you need some I have a great deal on them.

Billy