What are your other hobbies?

Old 01-11-2015, 03:43 PM

Not only to I collect old sewing machines and sew and quilt. I also collect antique clocks and a repair them. I also am restoring a 200 yeat old home in Al. Always busy around here.
Skip
Old 01-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Default It would be easier to list those I don't have. Stamp collecting being one.

Hobbies I concentrate on are woodworking, photography, religion, reading, and of course, collecting, restoring and sewing with vintage machines.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 PM

Landscaping, politics, musicology, gaming, cooking (not very good at this one), reading classic novels, collector of 3rd-rate (i.e. cheap) art, thrift store search and rescue, beginning digital photography, complaining about the state of the world.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Sewing clothes, cooking, fixing old cars (well, my old car), gardening. Used to include other things like programming computers, education and web design.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 PM
Power Poster

I used to knit but my wrists can't handle it any longer. Recently tried crochet but the same issue cropped up. So for the most part, quilting is it. I do enjoy reading. Just bought a recurve bow so DH and I will be target shooting in the back yard. Trying to add a little more outdoors activity and Vitamin D into my life.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 AM

xxxxxxx, your garden looks lovely, not a useless photo but inspiring
Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 AM

I'm a homesteader, so most of my hobbies are related to doing that.

The one that normally takes most of my time is the garden- about 6,000 sq feet and I put up a lot of our food, which is another interest of mine, canning and food preservation. I hope to learn to make cheese some day.

I also love baking, but have to limit that as I eat the results and that isn't good for my health. I love making cakes, pastry, candy making - and to a lesser extent the food that is actually good for you.

I also like woodworking and refinishing and hope to do more of that in the future.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 AM

Ohh, I love all of these lists! I am getting some good ideas, too. LOL

For me it's soapmaking, book binding and other various paper/paperboard crafts (little boxes and things), beading (simple jewelry-making), cooking (I make great soup), used to garden but have no dog-free yardspace now, hand and machine sewing of all sorts of things (except clothes), hand and machine embroidery, drawing, painting (all types; from watercolors to oil paintings to faux finishes on walls), minor furniture refurbishment/reupholstering... I suppose you could say programming but that's more my job than my hobby. I also read sci fi and fantasy books like they're air I need to breathe; I probably read 3-4 books in a week, but I don't even count that as a hobby because it's so necessary; that's just how I live. (I'm also an insomniac.)

Pretty sure I'm forgetting something, DH & I both dabble in a LOT of artsy-fartsy things and we have a house full of art/craft, music and sewing studios instead of having children (or ever leaving the house) and we're slowly trying to clear "shop" space in the garage so we can get into woodworking as that's something we're both interested in. He's a photographer/musician/painter and very handy in the garage and kitchen. (AND he looks SO good in an apron! LOL)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 AM

Oh my! So many hobbies and interests you all have! OK...lemme see...I play the violin, tend a large garden, finally got out of horses...last one died in May, cooking, especially vegan cuisine, sewing all kinds of things, gardening, preserving food, cheese-making, (talk to me Macybaby,) fermenting all kinds of stuff, sewing machine tinkering, online learning on Coursera, building our house...err...telling my DH how to build our house, (bless his soul, I love him so,) art of all kinds, keeping the finances in order (Gawd knows, somebody's gotta do it,) hiking, mushroom hunting, restoring the redwoods on our land, taking care of all the household critters, s/a dogs and cats, raising chickens...sigh...I'm sure there's more.

~ C
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I saw someone posting about their jigsaw puzzle addiction and it rang a bell for me. I wonder how many of us have similar hobbies?

Just a year ago before Christmas I was just starting in with my interest in vintage machines and knew I wanted to learn to quilt. It was last years resolution. I made my first quilt last year start to finish and now can safely say I am a quilter. ) My sister in law saw how many sewing/quilting things I had asked for that previous Christmas and asked me with concern "how do you know you'll like it?" Easy, it incorporates all the things I love!

I like sewing, jigsaw puzzles, brain teasers, researching stuff, and vintage machines. I'm a crafter, I love attention to detail, I'm a perfectionist and can get a little OCD sometimes. I also have a tendancy to collect and to be drawn to the unusual. I have kept parrots, and have less than the usual breed dogs...a Chinese Crested (hairless) and Havanese (cuban). One of my past hobbies was building 1/12 scale dollhouses.

What about everyone else?
I posted about my addiction to jigsaw puzzles. I have the puzzle board set up in an area in the kitchen and we have a jigsaw puzzle on it at all times. The grandkids come over and immediately ask about the puzzle on the board. My DH and I also work crossword puzzles. We buy two of the same book and then compare our answers. I have a Samsung tablet which I have loaded the Scrabble game on and we occasionally play scrabble in the evening using the pass and work option. It is great fun. There are many fun hobbies but I am still partial to my SMA and my quilting of charity lap quilts.