Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 131 of 247 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 130 131 132 141 181 231 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

KR
    [quote=Lacelady
    I was asked to post a pic of some of the blocks I started quilting over the weekend, so here goes. I have quilted them as similarly as I can, comparing them to pics in the book. Where I couldn't see, then I did my own thing, in the style of Jane, so to speak. This is the first half a dozen, but I have done about 8 more, so far.[/quote]

LOVELY WORK, Lacelady!! I've been "lurking" around the DJ messages and the whole project really intrigues me! I'm going on an extended boat trip next week and taking the beginnings with me. Hope I have the determination to keep at it as well as everyone here is doing.

Lacelady, I read with interest how you're quiliting as you go....very nice! I hadn't thought that far ahead, but it sure makes sense with all that intricate work. Question though: would it work to put the backing on each square along with the batting and then do the quilting as you're doing? Then you'd have the quilted pattern on the back also. Just a thought.

Thank you for sharing your expertise! You are appreciated!!

Blog Entries
    [quote=KR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I was asked to post a pic of some of the blocks I started quilting over the weekend, so here goes. I have quilted them as similarly as I can, comparing them to pics in the book. Where I couldn't see, then I did my own thing, in the style of Jane, so to speak. This is the first half a dozen, but I have done about 8 more, so far.[/quote

LOVELY WORK, Lacelady!! I've been "lurking" around the DJ messages and the whole project really intrigues me! I'm going on an extended boat trip next week and taking the beginnings with me. Hope I have the determination to keep at it as well as everyone here is doing.

Lacelady, I read with interest how you're quiliting as you go....very nice! I hadn't thought that far ahead, but it sure makes sense with all that intricate work. Question though: would it work to put the backing on each square along with the batting and then do the quilting as you're doing? Then you'd have the quilted pattern on the back also. Just a thought.

Thank you for sharing your expertise! You are appreciated!!
    re the quilting KR, I considered that method with the backing, incorporating it into the quilting as I go. In fact, that's the way I have done it in the past, but usually with wider sashings, so that bulk of seams would disappear a bit more. Plus, doing it that way results on lots of hand hemming on the back that aren't always necessarily easy to line up with even turnings. Hence this more unconventional way I have devised.

Many thanks for everyone's nice comments though. Esq., I do have a design wall, but it's only 6ft square, and half of it is behind a set of drawers that I put in front of it to house my fat quarters, so it definitely needs to come out from behind there, but still wouldn't be big enough for this project. I'll not promise, but will see what I can do.

KR
    [quote=Lacelady][quote=KR][quote=Lacelady
    re the quilting KR, I considered that method with the backing, incorporating it into the quilting as I go. In fact, that's the way I have done it in the past, but usually with wider sashings, so that bulk of seams would disappear a bit more. Plus, doing it that way results on lots of hand hemming on the back that aren't always necessarily easy to line up with even turnings. Hence this more unconventional way I have devised.
    [/quote]

Oh, of course. That could be dreadful with all those little squares! I think I'll try it your way and just pick out a nice vintage print for the backing. Thank you again....can't wait to see more of your squares!!

Blog Entries
    Oh Lesley...you must have the nimblest fingers in the world!!! I can just envision a blur if someone was watching you!!! I laughed when I saw the pile...thats one BIIIIGGGG pile...and you have more to go!! And I have ALL to go!!! I can't wait for your big finale...the big layout....!!!

Blog Entries
    Keep up with your schedule, Patti, you plus all the other Janers on the board. Believe me, I am so close, I can almost taste it, but I stupidly committed myself to do another couple of things for other people and those deadlines are looming, so I am going to have to take care of them before I can get on with finishing. I have 36 more blocks to make yet, but I just counted, and only have another 12 square blocks to quilt (apart from the ones I haven't made), then I can do the tris.

No, I am not a particularly quilk quilter, but because I am not very fit, I sit quite a lot, and since I started quilting, I have always had a block on the go, so I could put some more stitches in when having a cuppa or whatever. Then I quilt every evening after my evening meal, and the first night I did 7, but often have done more than that and that helps a lot. Mostly, I think living on my own gives me more time than most of you will have - and of course I don't go to work either.

I wouldn't recommend ditching various DH's or partners in order to get your Janes finished - too drastic, LOL

Blog Entries
    But still Lesley, you've done this whole thing so quickly..and its such great inspiration to me...thanks for keeping me going.

But....you are right, the DH does take a considerable time committment.....hmmmmmm........but all in all I think I'll keep mine, he's worth it :wink: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    But still Lesley, you've done this whole thing so quickly..and its such great inspiration to me...thanks for keeping me going.

But....you are right, the DH does take a considerable time committment.....hmmmmmm........but all in all I think I'll keep mine, he's worth it :wink: :lol: :lol:
    I'd have kept mine, given the choice, Patti, but he had other ideas and went off with someone nearly half my age. I hope she's keeping him busy and wearing him out!

Blog Entries
    Awww...but Lesley...just know that at some point, he will get his....it may come sooner than he planned too...ya' never know! But I've always observed that "what goes around, comes around".

Blog Entries
    I've been meaning to ask something for ages now. You are all making really nice blocks, with pretty fabrics, but are you choosing the fabrics in a random way or what? Once someone had pointed out that the original was in a trip round the world I decided to make mine that way, so I coloured in my diagram in order to make sure I used the right fabric. My triangles are more random, because I have added in other batiks that aren't in my centre. What is everyone else doing?

Mine are totally random scrappy. Trying to make each with a unique fabric.

Blog Entries
    Wow, 225 different fabrics? I have a large (for me) stash, but I doubt if I have that many different ones. Well done, I will look forward to seeing it in due course.

Blog Entries
    Well...I recolored the quilt in the software at the start. I was trying to stay somewhat close to that..but I have varied some. I don't have a stash large enough to use all different fabs, so I have to go with what I have here. I'm just trying to stay within a "range of colors"

I'm wondering if when I lay it out at the end and something looks terrible .....how guilty will I feel moving the blocks around from their original placement....how do you guys feel about that?

I would go with the best color placement. It's all about color placement. The majority of the population-even quilters-won't have a clue if a block isn't in it's "proper place". But folks do notice colors . . . yeah, listen at me. I haven't even got up the nerve to BEGIN such an awesome project.

I have a simplified Trip Around the World layout, with about half of the blocks. When all the blocks are done, I will lay it out and if it doesn't flow with that design, I have no problem moving blocks around, I don't feel committed to Jane's layout since my fabrics have a star/holiday theme. I have about 40 different fabrics, with dark reds, greens, tans/creams and blacks. I am working with a coordinated fat quarter bundle. It will be me when its done! I doubt Jane would mind. :)

Blog Entries
    Patti said: Well...I recolored the quilt in the software at the start. I was trying to stay somewhat close to that..but I have varied some. I don't have a stash large enough to use all different fabs, so I have to go with what I have here. I'm just trying to stay within a "range of colors"

I'm wondering if when I lay it out at the end and something looks terrible .....how guilty will I feel moving the blocks around from their original placement....how do you guys feel about that?

I've already done that. I discovered I had made two triangles on the same side in the same fabric, so I substituted one for one one another side. I wasn't in to redoing the offending tri! The other thing I have done is change B13. All my blocks are just two colours, and I really didn't feel that B13 lent itself very well to this (Jane used a printed fabric for the centre, and two other colours). So I have done one of the alternatives in the software, and made 8 flying geese going round each other.
    Is this sacriledge? Well, it's right on one side, out of the way, so to speak, and in some ways, the flying geese are more interesting than the original block, so no, I don't think I feel too guilty. I just haven't told my brother about it, as he has nabbed it for after I am gone, because it fascinates him from the historic point of view. He has even asked me to put it in my will for him, so he really means it! (I redid my will recently, so he is sorted and it will go to him)

I've also looked at lots of finished Janes, and a lot of people have moved the basket around (J12) so it's the right way up if you stand at the end of the bed. I think I'll do the same when I start assembling. My cornerstone fabric arrived yesterday, and I've just finished quilting all the squares I have made, so I can start on quilting the tris now. I still have 33 blocks to make, so I haven't finished yet.

Blog Entries
    Well, I think that I will just lay mine out, then change the blocks around as "desired"..(kind of like quilt as desired)...I just won't tell Jane :wink: . I'm going to have to go look at the B13 alternates just to see what you did Lesley. I already thought that I would change the basket too.

I must be nuts because I thought...well, this will be my "practice" Jane...the next one will be the actual tribute when I know more of what I'm doing....then I thought... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: who are I trying to kid????? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think if your intention is to make a replicate, then your ideas would be a problem Lesley. If your intention is to make your "baby Jane" in your own way, then you are doing it PERFECTLY!! I think you can lay them out however you'd like and it will be fine!

As for what I'm doing...I printed out the blank DJ from the software. I then color in the square/tri I'm making with markers to reflect whether I'm using green/brown/red/orange as the predominant color for the block. One of these days I'll snap a photo and post it. Then when I go to work on a block, I pull out my chart, and look what's near the block I'm making to decide which fabric to use.

Blog Entries
    I think the minute I decided to make mine with batiks was when it stopped being like a replica Esq. and I very early on thought I would call it Jane, Past and Present, so I'm hoping she will look down and forgive me my transgressions!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Well...I recolored the quilt in the software at the start. I was trying to stay somewhat close to that..but I have varied some. I don't have a stash large enough to use all different fabs, so I have to go with what I have here. I'm just trying to stay within a "range of colors"

I didn't realize when I started making the blocks that Jane had used, more or less, a trip around the world color placement. When (if) I ever get my blocks done, they will be arranged in a color pattern that more or less pleases me - and Miss Jane's layout will be Miss Jane's layout.

I rather suspect she made all her blocks with whatever she could get her hands on at the time, then played around with them for color placement.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could just pop back and ask her?

Lacelady, I am going completely random with mine but in colours that reflect ochre tones as seen in a Welsh ochre mine we visited, but I am probably going with plain and all the same colour setting triangles around the edge. I love the colours on your quilt, but I do find that if I sit down for a coffee and pick up my needle it means cold, cold coffee. Yuck! Have fun counting down your last few, can't wait to see what your quilt look like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
    Lacelady, I am going completely random with mine but in colours that reflect ochre tones as seen in a Welsh ochre mine we visited, but I am probably going with plain and all the same colour setting triangles around the edge. I love the colours on your quilt, but I do find that if I sit down for a coffee and pick up my needle it means cold, cold coffee. Yuck! Have fun counting down your last few, can't wait to see what your quilt look like.
    Thanks Sarah, I'm looking forward to it too. When you said plain setting tris, did you mean no pattern, but colour, or did you mean the same as your background? I'm going to do the second option, so that my tris show up. On Jane's I think they get lost a bit.

Blog Entries
    Bear...I agree with you. I think my quilt will be MY quilt..and for some reason, I don't think Jane will mind. :lol:

Hope to see you back soon...I've been wondering about where you disappeared to!

I'm playing with the color for my plain tris . I'm still struggling trying to decide whether I still really want to go dark sashing though or light...I keep going all wishy washy on it. At some point I'll HAVE to make a decision..but I'm not there yet.... :oops:

Lacelady, yes I meant that I shall try to use the same colour as my sashing, a bit like the one that is on the board at the moment, but a) it means taking my blocks to the shop to lay them on loads of trial colours and b) even worse having to buy fabric. So far I have managed to buy just a few fat quarters, and if I use plain triangles my stash will go further on the blocks. It seems that we are working along the same lines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
    Lacelady, yes I meant that I shall try to use the same colour as my sashing, a bit like the one that is on the board at the moment, but a) it means taking my blocks to the shop to lay them on loads of trial colours and b) even worse having to buy fabric. So far I have managed to buy just a few fat quarters, and if I use plain triangles my stash will go further on the blocks. It seems that we are working along the same lines.
    LOL, great minds think alike, Sarah. I have just got a warmer batik for cornerstones and binding, just to add a little bit of colour, and that will do me. Have you considered somewhere like Thousands of bolts for your sashing if cash is a consideration, they seem to have good prices to me, but then all of the USA prices seem good to me compared to what's in the shops here. Even with shipping, USA prices are often cheaper. What is more, I have never seen a price reduction on fabric in my LQS in the almost 10 years she has been trading. I don't even recall her having a general sale.

Page 131 of 247 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 130 131 132 141 181 231 ... LastLast