Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Here's how I'm labelling and storing my blocks.

I have a folder with clear files in it and I slide a piece of paper in with the block. So far they seem to be staying nice and flat.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66968.jpe   attachment-66969.jpe  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM

ooooh, very nice. I'm using a stiff accordian file, but like the idea of encasing in some plastic. I'll perhaps use little baggies or something.

I was going to post a few pages of my journal. Give me a few days, have not been in the mood to photograph and download.

I just finished Mary's Corset, E-12. What a nightmare. I don't like that block. It's on my list of re-do's, and I have already printed out the pattern and put it in my journal. I guess I'll do that as a habit so I know which ones to go back on!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

What may help keep them organized, I have them in my binder with my patterns, you can get alphabet dividers and so I have all the letters covered and then in numerical order. then when I am looking for a specific pattern I just flip through. it is a lot faster. I have some blocks printed ahead that I would like to do,
Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
I keep forgetting to say......

I don't know how everyone is labelling their blocks (or even if people are) but I tossed around a few ideas and settled on a fabric pen... I've been writing the name of the block (A1, B2, etc) on the back on one of the seam allowances. So no chance of it showing through, and no chance of it falling off (like stickers), and it's not going to use up all my pins either! :-)
I'm glad you brought this up Blue. I was pondering the same thing. Right now, the PP has the name/# but not all are PP, and I don't want to pin/staple. Right now we're dealing with a manageable amount. If we don't have a numbering system in place we will all be going mad when we go to piece the top. Then I wondered if everyone is putting blocks in the same place as Jane did. I also am getting obsessed with Dear Jane. I'm thinking "what am I going to do without her for nine days on the cruise"! LOL I'm probably going to look ahead for applique ones to work on when I'm fried and can't be in the sun! I'm also going to bring the software book so I can try again to figure out how to save my edited blocks in my quilt design page. I think I really need to be able to do that because not all blocks are red, white and blue and I don't want too many red/white or blue white in a single area. I may even scrap the red, white and blue and do a two color with batiks like Cher's or Lacy's when I get back.
Sorry I'm so chatty. I fell asleep after dinner and now I'm up and ready to roll! LOL. I'm going up to do some sewing! Smiles
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Have fun Sheree!! You sound enthusiastic tonite...take advantage kiddo!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

Since mine is scrappy, and nothing is planned, I imagine I will take a look at it and decide where the best place for each of the blocks will go then, I am not organized enough to have a plan, and it depends on the one what happens to be in my scrap bin at the time, as it is, I am running sort on lights, I don't tend to use them much.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 PM

:-( Oh dear... I'm not looking forward to that one! I've been playing around with other stuff today.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM

I have a folder with clear files in it and I slide a piece of paper in with the block. So far they seem to be staying nice and flat.
I thought of this but wondered about the bulk as we get further into the quilt. The OCD in me likes this the best. But I thought it would be way too fat when we get further into the quilt. What do you think? Right now I'm saving each weeks blocks and printed block that I colored in with pencils in gallon zip lock bags (that I cannot zip because paper is too tall). Maybe when I get back I'll go to Office Depo/Max and find the largest three ring binder and take it from there.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago

I thought of this but wondered about the bulk as we get further into the quilt. The OCD in me likes this the best. But I thought it would be way too fat when we get further into the quilt. What do you think? Right now I'm saving each weeks blocks and printed block that I colored in with pencils in gallon zip lock bags (that I cannot zip because paper is too tall). Maybe when I get back I'll go to Office Depo/Max and find the largest three ring binder and take it from there.
I think it *will* get too fat to close, at the moment the bulk is good, it's holding everything flat. I figure at some point I'm going to need so split it into two ring binders. They're quite big ones though, we use them for accounts and stuff for hubby's business.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

I was going to say that you could have more than one binder and just label the outside, a-g etc