Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Is anyone using a directional fabric on their Jane?
i have some pin stripe and a clamshell design (both in the indigio) that have direction and i have to be careful when and where i use them for that reason.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Is anyone using a directional fabric on their Jane?
i have some pin stripe and a clamshell design (both in the indigio) that have direction and i have to be careful when and where i use them for that reason.
Is it hard work? I don't think I'm quite up to the challenge. I got some turquoise fabric and some orange fabric, I'm really loving that combination at the moment, and thought I might just make the odd block or two until the fabric runs out, then put them together at whatever size that is. But the orange is directional and I didn't think about it till I took the photo!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67143.jpe  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 AM

:roll: I must be insane... they're BOTH directional! PMSL
Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Banned

i think you can use both directional fabrics but save them for the blocks that its easy to control the direction.

dealing with directional and paper piecing just adds one more element to the challenge.

save this fabric for when we get to applique or when we hit the christmas holiday season.

it will be easier to control the direction on those types of blocks.

you won't have to worry about cutting in angles in the opposite direction so that the directional print goes the right way when paper piecing.

i did this on one block and i won't ever do it again - it turned a 1 hour block into 3 hours of work.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i think you can use both directional fabrics but save them for the blocks that its easy to control the direction.

dealing with directional and paper piecing just adds one more element to the challenge.

save this fabric for when we get to applique or when we hit the christmas holiday season.

it will be easier to control the direction on those types of blocks.

you won't have to worry about cutting in angles in the opposite direction so that the directional print goes the right way when paper piecing.

i did this on one block and i won't ever do it again - it turned a 1 hour block into 3 hours of work.
Yeah... it's not worth the headache. I won't do three sets, that would be insane, but I'd like to do other colour ways along the journey. I might shelve these ones and use them for something else, the colours aren't accurate in the photo, they've very cool in real life.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Banned

i love the color combo, its one of my favorite aside from purple & green.

you'll know right away which blocks to use them on, most of the november & december blocks will look great with this fabric.

plus the heart appliques would work.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 AM

You're absolutely right, thank you! :-)

I'm off to bed now... it's almost 1am and my eyeballs are hanging out of my head. You guys have a good day, I'll catch you tomorrow.

:-)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 AM

i was reading the other thread and organizing my blocks for this popped into my head, thanks for the ideas. I better start soon as it will become unmanageable later on. I like the idea of placing them in a 3 ring binder but then I wouldn't be able to see the development of the whole picture like Klue was talking about. Still undecided as to how to go about this.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
i was reading the other thread and organizing my blocks for this popped into my head, thanks for the ideas. I better start soon as it will become unmanageable later on. I like the idea of placing them in a 3 ring binder but then I wouldn't be able to see the development of the whole picture like Klue was talking about. Still undecided as to how to go about this.
i think the binder is an excellent idea - i just have a very convoluted color layout with the diagonal sweeping thing.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 AM

Yours is going to be amazing Klue! I won't be sure of my layout until I see the overall, but I want to keep them in order of the original Jane.