Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-23-2010, 06:22 PM

Good evening Ladies, I threw my name in the hat for Dear Jane the other day and got started. I ordered the software and rulers, then took off to my LQS to get fabric. It was so-o-o much fun!

I am making DJ with white kona background and bright pastels. Since I live in Charleston, SC I am going to call my quilt Jane on Rainbow Row. If I get real industrious, I am going to make a second with black as the background and call it Jane on Rainbow Row at Night. I would also like to make one using CW repros in shades of brown and rust and call it Jane at Fort Sumter. (Little bit of history in case y'all didn't know the first shot of the Civil War was fired at Fort Sumter here in Charleston).

Anyway, after all this I got called to work in Kansas City for the next 2 weeks, so I won't be able to start my DJ until I get home, so I will be way behind. I would like to have posted pics of my fabric to get your opinions, but this job came up so suddenly, I had to pack and leave very quickly. So I will have to lean on y'all for support while I'm playing catch up, if that's okay. I'll be working about 70 or 75 hours per week the 2 weeks I'm out here, so probably won't be around much between, but will try to keep up with how y'all are doing.

I LOVE everyones blocks so far, they are so spectacular! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this :-D
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Ginabelle,
Not to worry about getting caught up. We'll all get there and have each other to lean on for support. It sounds like you've become a full on Janiac with all those quilts planned LOL.
Take it easy when you can in the tiny bit of off time you'll have over the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Ginabelle, try to just get through your workweeks and join us when you get back!! You can catch up in no time. In fact, we are on our way to "break week" so you'll have that week with nothing "due" so to speak! Thanks for keeping us all posted, we would've started wondering what happened to you!

Your names are awesome! I love the creativity behind them. I may change mine as time goes on...we shall see.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3incollege
what page is the new schedule list on? I can't seem to find it.
here's the revised schedule.

it wasn't anything major that changed - it had 2 typos. if i remember correctly 1 block and 1 triangle was on the schedule twice.

revised schedule
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66708[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-66703.doc (79.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Originally Posted by retrogirl02
The original version we downloaded back in Dec I think...Klue made a couple changes and set up a second download.
So is there a different version from the 1st page of the thread, because that's what I'm operating off of! If anyone has a different version, please tell us all what page it's on!
i just posted it again, its easier to do that then have people searching.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 AM

Klue that is so true, I would perfer to get anything twice, than look for an hour and still not find.
I was so happy when I finished week one.Now I think maybe there is hope. My I9 came out okay and I didn't mirror. Now I wonder what I did wrong :)
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Location: keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return

Ginabelle, your Jane on Rainbow Row at Night idea sounds beautiful! I love the way colors pop off of black backgrounds. Oh, dear, another color combo for my want to try list! :)
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kosmos
Klue that is so true, I would perfer to get anything twice, than look for an hour and still not find.
I was so happy when I finished week one.Now I think maybe there is hope. My I9 came out okay and I didn't mirror. Now I wonder what I did wrong :)
i don't think the symmetrical blocks really need to be mirrored. the only difference for these blocks/triangles is which piece of fabric is on top.

so with I9 the difference would be the border section on the triangle units.

which is really no difference and not worth doing over a perfectly fine block.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 AM

What is it specifically that tells one if a block needs to be mirrored? Are there hints we can use to figure it out?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
What is it specifically that tells one if a block needs to be mirrored? Are there hints we can use to figure it out?
i haven't made every block yet to know that answer but right now it seems to be the symmetrical blocks and they fall into 2 categories.

1) the kind i just mentioned, they go together either way and the only difference is which fabric strip is on top. i think people mirror these because they will look exactly like the author drawing in the book but that doesn't mean they look like janes.

i don't think anyone has been allowed that close to the jane quilt - even some of the variations in DJ software say "it might be more like the original" but they're not sure either.

2) then there's some blocks that are symmetrical but if you don't mirror them the background fabric lands in the sections that should have the focal fabric.

now this isn't a tragic event but it might bother some people and they could make the block over to keep thing consistent through out the quilt.

off the top of my head an example of this would be M5.