Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Oh..now thats a thought!!! I see that it is a good thing when we think out loud!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh..now thats a thought!!! I see that it is a good thing when we think out loud!!! :lol: :lol:
Why yes it is!! :) Ooooh just had a thought. Since the quilt is 13x13, you could have some fun with some design options on the back this way. I attached an excel spreadsheet to show you what I mean! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-81616.zip (10.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Power Poster

Sorry Rachel, didn't get any pic of your diagram, but I think I can imagine larger blocks on the back.

I'm not familiar with K3n's no sew backing with QAYG - which is probably why I came up with my solution. It still needs sewing on the back, but its on the batting, not the backing fabric. I have one boarder done and ready to attach, and the second border sewn together, but not tidied up on the back yet. I'm not going to be doing much today, I have a dental problem, and need to get an extraction at lunchtime, Ugh!

Is it time for week 23 yet? If so, shall I post it?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

No, you can machine sew through the block, with the W&M behind it, no trouble. After all, that's how I have sewn the blocks together, and I am in the process of sewing the tris together the same way. I have also, in the past, machine quilted through a quilt top, with poly batting behind it, when I was doing some trapunto quilting. Again, no problems, my machine doesn't seem to chew anything up at all. You do have to bear in mind that you won't get all your quilting patterns on the back of the quilt doing it this way, but there will be a lot less weight involved until the final backing needs to be added. When that gets put on, at least you will only have straight lines to quilt in the ditch round each block.
Thanks so much for your help! I was worried about the machine chewing it up more than anything. I realize that it will only have the straight stitching. My thoughts are that the front should be enough to look at. ;)
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 AM

Kimby...that is so cool that you are doing a group at your LQS! It would be so much fun to be able to get together to sew these little beauties..then we could celebrate, cry and cuss together :wink:
Thanks!

To give a little background at the beginning of the year, I was at my LQS and the owner was quilting a Jane! It was beautiful. I fell in love with it. I started talking to the owner and found out that there were others in the area that wanted to do one. So we decided to put feelers out. We have about 6 people involved and are only 2 months into it. Here is what I have so far....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81819.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 AM

Thats beautiful Kimby, lovely colours you have chosen. It will be very special when its finished.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Sorry Rachel, didn't get any pic of your diagram, but I think I can imagine larger blocks on the back.

I'm not familiar with K3n's no sew backing with QAYG - which is probably why I came up with my solution. It still needs sewing on the back, but its on the batting, not the backing fabric. I have one boarder done and ready to attach, and the second border sewn together, but not tidied up on the back yet. I'm not going to be doing much today, I have a dental problem, and need to get an extraction at lunchtime, Ugh!

Is it time for week 23 yet? If so, shall I post it?
This is her method if you want to see for future reference:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36303-1.htm

I don't mind hand stitching the back strips on though, so sometimes I do that too. I think your method is nice too since you get a complete back instead of pieces that you need to do for QAYG. But it's nice to see the quilting on the back as well. I haven't decided yet if I will hand quilt or machine quilt, but I guess I have a bit to decide since I haven't even started yet!! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by kimby1213
Kimby...that is so cool that you are doing a group at your LQS! It would be so much fun to be able to get together to sew these little beauties..then we could celebrate, cry and cuss together :wink:
Thanks!

To give a little background at the beginning of the year, I was at my LQS and the owner was quilting a Jane! It was beautiful. I fell in love with it. I started talking to the owner and found out that there were others in the area that wanted to do one. So we decided to put feelers out. We have about 6 people involved and are only 2 months into it. Here is what I have so far....
Wow!! I love how the 'around the world' look extends to the background fabrics too!! Hmmmm I may have to play with that idea for my quilt ....... I can't wait to see yours finished!!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Well, I have had the offending tooth out, and I'm sitting here on the board, having a rest from sewing.

My bolt of fabric from Hancocks of Paducah was 15 yards long, which suited me just fine.

Thanks for the link of QAYG, K3n style, I'll give that one a try sometime.

Still can't see anything of Kimby's design, how come the rest of you can, and I can't? Can you post a pic Kimby please? Perhaps its me not doing something right. Put it down to dental anaesthetic!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I couldn't open Rachel's file either....so..can you take a pic of your screen and save it as a jpeg so you can post it here Rachel?

Kimby...I love your fabrics and the around the world in the background too is a fabulous idea!! Please continue on and show us your progress...its going to be a beauty!

Lesley..so sorry about your tooth...did you get some good happy pills? And I'm working on week 23 now..have the tri and a couple of the blocks done..so if you will post...that will be great!