Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by athenagwis
Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh boy Rachel..so glad you already got your software, that was quick! Come on, jump right on in! :D
I know!! I am so excited!! I still have to figure out what I am going to do for the background. I don’t know if I should just buy a bolt of fabric so it’s all the same (sashing too) or maybe do a dark blue scrappy look for the blocks. I don’t want the piecing to get lost in the background, so I am not sure if scrappy would be a good idea ….. But then the thought of buying a bolt of fabric right now is daunting LOL

Rachel
Love your circular idea for the blocks Rachel, I bought a bolt of Kona cotton from Hancocks of Paducah (15 yards, and it has done everything (background, sashing and plain tris). There is also enough left to do the scallops on the edge too, so the only other fabric I needed was the backing. Since mine was in a natural colour, I ordered their 120in wide natural to match. It's on its way now - I've been waiting for it for about two weeks so far, so it won't be much longer.
Great idea on buying the bolt from Hancocks, I see if you buy more than 2 yards, it ends up being $4 a yard. Not bad! …. Hmmm maybe I can even get a Kona bolt at Joanns with a coupon ……. How much of your bolt do you have left after all that? Do you think I need the full 15 yards? I know Pat said I didn’t LOL, but since you are finished and you did buy a bolt, you can probably tell me pretty easily. :)

The circular pattern was 100% Pat’s idea and I LOVE it!! She also came up with the totally white blocks in there. I wasn’t sure at first because I really wanted just orange and blue, but the more I look at it I think it really compliments it and makes it not too overpowering. We have to figure out how she can get me the file once I have the software, and I might play around a little more.

I am so excited to get started, but it’ll probably still be a little bit before I can get enough fabric to get started. That’s okay though. I plan on jumping in on the week you are on whenever I start and then working on the previous weeks as I can. :)

Rachel
Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I have a piece 112in by 38in left, but still have to cut out my scallops from that, so most of it will be used up by then.

Before you go to the Hancocks shops, as opposed to getting it from Hancocks of Paducah, please read some of the various threads on here about the possible differences. I have never had anything from one of the shops, because I live here in Ireland, but I have read several comments that USA quilters have said that they don't think the same fabric quality is available in the shops compared to the mail order one from Paducah. I can't comment, but if you want to be sure, why not ask on the board? Or possibly treat yourself to half a yard of orange from both places so that you could compare for yourself?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM

I have a piece 112in by 38in left, but still have to cut out my scallops from that, so most of it will be used up by then.

Before you go to the Hancocks shops, as opposed to getting it from Hancocks of Paducah, please read some of the various threads on here about the possible differences. I have never had anything from one of the shops, because I live here in Ireland, but I have read several comments that USA quilters have said that they don't think the same fabric quality is available in the shops compared to the mail order one from Paducah. I can't comment, but if you want to be sure, why not ask on the board? Or possibly treat yourself to half a yard of orange from both places so that you could compare for yourself?
Thanks for the tip!! I actually don't have a Hancock's near me, so I would be ordering online from Hancock's of Paducah anyway. They have a great price, so that is fine by me. :) Thanks for letting me know what you have left, I think I'll go ahead and get a bolt when I am ready (and have the $ LOL) just to be safe, I am sure I can find a use for the leftovers if need be! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Rachel, just for your own information, the fabric bolts from Joann's are usually only around 6-8 yards of fabric. At least it is for my shop here. I asked one of the gals working there about it and was told it is normal for them. I want to mention this, in case your store does the same thing. It means a bolt might not be enough from there, depending on how you plan to use it.

Hancocks of Paducah is NOT affiliated with the Hancocks outlet chains. There is a big difference in quality and prices and a coupon or sale with one is not honored at the other.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Rachel, just for your own information, the fabric bolts from Joann's are usually only around 6-8 yards of fabric. At least it is for my shop here. I asked one of the gals working there about it and was told it is normal for them. I want to mention this, in case your store does the same thing. It means a bolt might not be enough from there, depending on how you plan to use it.

Hancocks of Paducah is NOT affiliated with the Hancocks outlet chains. There is a big difference in quality and prices and a coupon or sale with one is not honored at the other.
These are both good pieces of information to know. I think I will just go with Hancock's of Paducah when I am ready. At least I know that it's good quality for this quilt since there is experience using it here. This is not a quilt where I want to take a chance on quality. Plus you can't go wrong at $4 a yard!! I will be pre-washing too, something I rarely do except for swaps, but for the time and effort being put into this one, I think it necessary.

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 AM

I have been following this thread for quite a while in lurk mode.. I have to say I am in awe of all of the work you ladies have done so far. :mrgreen:

So much so that I have started a Dear Jane group at my LQS. We aren't doing such a rigorous schedule (just 10 blocks a month) and should be finished in mid 2012. :shock:

I have a newbie type question for you... I have been watching what LaceLady has been doing with the QAYG. I really like what she is doing, but want to machine quilt the blocks. Would I need to put some kind of backing fabric on it to run it through my machine or can I just use the Warm & Natural?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kimby1213
I have been following this thread for quite a while in lurk mode.. I have to say I am in awe of all of the work you ladies have done so far. :mrgreen:

So much so that I have started a Dear Jane group at my LQS. We aren't doing such a rigorous schedule (just 10 blocks a month) and should be finished in mid 2012. :shock:

I have a newbie type question for you... I have been watching what LaceLady has been doing with the QAYG. I really like what she is doing, but want to machine quilt the blocks. Would I need to put some kind of backing fabric on it to run it through my machine or can I just use the Warm & Natural?
No, you can machine sew through the block, with the W&M behind it, no trouble. After all, that's how I have sewn the blocks together, and I am in the process of sewing the tris together the same way. I have also, in the past, machine quilted through a quilt top, with poly batting behind it, when I was doing some trapunto quilting. Again, no problems, my machine doesn't seem to chew anything up at all. You do have to bear in mind that you won't get all your quilting patterns on the back of the quilt doing it this way, but there will be a lot less weight involved until the final backing needs to be added. When that gets put on, at least you will only have straight lines to quilt in the ditch round each block.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Thank God for Lacelady is what I say!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I agree Sarah!!!

Kimby...that is so cool that you are doing a group at your LQS! It would be so much fun to be able to get together to sew these little beauties..then we could celebrate, cry and cuss together :wink:

I've been giving this a lot of thought and I think I'm going to try machine quilting, QAYG with the backing on it. I think I might try to put the back together using k3n's QAYG no-hand sewing method. I have the blue/white Jane swap blocks...so I think I might give it a try with those....yup...just as soon as I have a "free" moment.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I agree Sarah!!!

I've been giving this a lot of thought and I think I'm going to try machine quilting, QAYG with the backing on it. I think I might try to put the back together using k3n's QAYG no-hand sewing method. I have the blue/white Jane swap blocks...so I think I might give it a try with those....yup...just as soon as I have a "free" moment.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking I would do it this way too since the sashing is thin enough that it would make sense as a QAYG. I was thinking too of maybe putting together blocks of 8-10 blocks with sashing and treating that like one block for QAYG purposes. That might go a bit quicker and it would be bigger blocks of fabric on the back too. ...... Hmmmm

Rachel