Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM

correction on above instructions. that gets you the 'color pallet of the civil war quilt'. or whatever quilt you chose.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM

I'd be game to join up
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Yeah I got the printer to work so I can now use the CD. I had to first get on line so I could download the driver for my printer as it wasn't installed on the PC side of my computer. Got that done and everything worked wonderfully. I printer up all of row A. Now I think I will have to go back and resize it the quilt size as I see from comments before me that I need to do that or the squares will not be right. Oh well. I have lots of paper and ink. I am so excited.
I just realized that my quilt class at the senior center did the DJ quilt as they have one hanging in the hall. LOL I am so out of it. I really need to get out more.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM

Just to answer a few questions that have come up since I was in Bethesda... There are now 93 of us!!!! Wow

and we will not be starting a new place to "chat" once we start, however, I am thinking of creating some additional threads that will go along with this main thread. The reason I started this was because the original DJ that started in 2010 had over 300 pages. I think it may make sense to have a separate thread for each row ... any comments?? I will also ask admin if there is any way we can limit one thread to just pictures - it is so ez to get carried away with comments - especially when we see something amazing and want to compliment our fellow quilters. But sometimes I think it would be so great if we could simply look at the variations without having to read through pages before getting to the next picture. I will see if there is a way I could extract picture postings out of a thread and post them all in one place???

The other question was when we start - in mid January. I have finalized the order of blocks for each week. What I will do now is add several "break/catch-up" weeks. I know this will make it take longer, but I feel that those who have the time and desire to continue will go ahead anyway. I would like to keep people from getting frustrated. There are people who have made DJs by completing 5 blocks per week - the last session did 4-5 each week and I think had a break every 7th week. I personally think 3 is more realistic - it's really not too much because the blocks are pretty small. I tried not to put hard ones together - and there are none initially. I also have a few easier ones at the end. The original schedule had triangles each week. I did not start with triangles, but do have a few weeks down the road with more than one in a week. I'm not sure there is a 'perfect' schedule that will work for one and all. I will put this one up by the weekend - once I have some "off time" put in.

This is getting very exciting!!!! [if I can only decide on which fabrics.....]
Monica [Gus]
Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
Yeah I got the printer to work so I can now use the CD. I had to first get on line so I could download the driver for my printer as it wasn't installed on the PC side of my computer. Got that done and everything worked wonderfully. I printer up all of row A. Now I think I will have to go back and resize it the quilt size as I see from comments before me that I need to do that or the squares will not be right. Oh well. I have lots of paper and ink. I am so excited.
I just realized that my quilt class at the senior center did the DJ quilt as they have one hanging in the hall. LOL I am so out of it. I really need to get out more.
One thing I learned from thatquilt.blog is that you have to reverse some of the blocks when you are printing them if you want the finished block to look like Jane's original quilt. Anina, the writer of thatquilt (thank you, thank you Anina!!) tells you at the top of each tutorial if you have to reverse the block.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM

chay, well done there!!

this is a very IMPORTANT thing to note!!! i'm very glad you reminded us all of this!!
well done!!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM

i tried to pay attention and get the blocks that needed to be reversed done. and i still ended up with one i found that wasn't reversed. and one block that doesn't look anything like the one jane made. But , it's mine, and the DGD will never care.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM

You might want to look into this board's GROUP function to support this effort. It has the ability to post photos in a separate area. Many swaps are using it. Check it out.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM

well, i got my white kona cotton today, and felt compelled to make my first 'DJ' block.
so here it is...
i'm doing mine in batiks, in 'around the world' style...
i'm still getting used to 'pp', so the seam ripper was well used on this one!! i hope i get better and quicker! lol...
i 'sew' pleased to have my first 'one under my belt'!!!
Attached Thumbnails a1-dj-2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Great looking block Jacquie!

Here's a little tip that I figured out about midway through.....a basting glue pen is your best friend when lining up the sections to sew together.