Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Sorry for the double post and I'm so surprised to see my photo appear! I usually am not very good at new things!!!LOL!
    'Columbia River Jane' Stickle is the name of my DJ.

Your DJ is gorgeous Janstar! I only did a little over 30 blocks and I did learn a lot already! Did you quilt it yourself?
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    Jan, its nice to see your Jane again, now if that doesn't add to the excitement, nothing will!

Ya'll go grab your bibs!
    May I always be the person my pets think I am..

Blog Entries
    I would love to join in, I was hoping someone would start another DJ.
    Three a week sounds good, it would be easy to catch up if I get behind.

Brandy - Welcome!! You are number 60!! can't believe the number who have signed up - WOW

Janstar - Thanks for the inspiration - your quilt is beautiful.

You said the schedule order worked for you?? When I checked it out I had marked all beginner and advanced blocks on a diagram and thought it to be a difficult schedule. klue had only 1 beginner block the first 4 weeks - in fact she had an advanced block the first week too and 5 advanced blocks & triangles in the same week just three months into it. I consider myself an advanced quilter - you must be also?? There is no way I would expect a mix of quilter levels to attempt that schedule.

Question for those of you who have a good start into DJ and those visitors who I know have completed them - I have worked out a TENTATIVE schedule for the first 3 months - can you please look over this and give me some feedback? Also I will look for some tutes [thatquilt.blogspot.com has some excellent 'copyright-free' directions for each block and a few tutorials]
    this is what I'm thinking....
    Week 1: A6 A8 B4
    2: C1 B13 C3
    3: A1 A5 B1 HST & FG tutes here[half-square triangles, flying geese]
    4: B2 B3 B10
    5: B12 A3 BR1 -triangle
    6: TR1 TR2 catch up
    7: A7 A9 A11
    8: A2 A4 B11
    9: A10 C12 B9
    10: B8 B7 A13
    11: A12 B5 B6
    12: BR4 RS1
    13: C9 C6 D3

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Janstar!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Cre8, I've had a look at your schedule and it's ok with me. Some are easy and some are more difficult but we want to learn something Thatquilt has excellent tuts, I used them quite a lot.
    I tried to keep up with the former group but I didn't manage. There were too many blocks to make and quite a lot of them were difficult so I gave up and followed my own schedule - being no schedule at all LOL

Would the Electric Quilt software help in this project?
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

I use the DJ software, didn't try EQ. I do have EQ 5, I guess some blocks will be in the library but I never looked to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    I use the DJ software, didn't try EQ. I do have EQ 5, I guess some blocks will be in the library but I never looked to be honest.
    Thanks for replying. I was about to order the book/software/templates and didn't know which exactly I needed.
    SheriR~

I have the book and software, no templates. I do PP whenever I can

SheriR, the DJ software is an Electric Quilt product, but it's stand-alone -- you don't have to have the EQ software to run it. The template patterns are "printable" from the software, as well as the full block and PP patterns. I've just started making a few triangles and discovered that those templates aren't part of the software, but after you've got a few blocks under your belt and if you go to the "thatquilt" blog you don't really need them.

Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    SheriR, the DJ software is an Electric Quilt product, but it's stand-alone -- you don't have to have the EQ software to run it. The template patterns are "printable" from the software, as well as the full block and PP patterns. I've just started making a few triangles and discovered that those templates aren't part of the software, but after you've got a few blocks under your belt and if you go to the "thatquilt" blog you don't really need them.
    So I don't NEED the templates? Just the CD from the DearJane site?
    SheriR~

That's right. The templates are part of the software. I have the book, too, and it's helpful when trying to figure out colors if you're using Civil War fabrics and it's very interesting to look at -- you get some good close-ups of the original quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    That's right. The templates are part of the software. I have the book, too, and it's helpful when trying to figure out colors if you're using Civil War fabrics and it's very interesting to look at -- you get some good close-ups of the original quilt.
    Thanks Katy. I have amazon open now lol and I can get what I need.
    SheriR~

Blog Entries
    Cre8, I agree with Anael. I think I'm an advance quilter, but I think this would work for everyone.

Blog Entries
    gus, since you are shooting for doing the quilt in "sections" rather than jump all over the quilt, you will have some blocks that are really hard thrown in with some of the easier blocks. I will say in looking over your list that there are some in there that for the life of me...I couldn't have done them any way other than to PP them.

You might want to look at the threads ( I know you have) from last year to see if there were any that specifically tell about making your own PP pattern for the block. Sometimes I found that several of us would work out a "better" way to do things than the PP pattern in the software. In fact, there are some blocks 9 (can't remember specifically which ones) that are missing parts when the pattern prints. The other thing to look out for is when the pattern should be printed as a Mirror image vs. regular.

i like what you have of the schedule so far
    everyone is beautiful they just don't know it yet

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat View Post
    gus, since you are shooting for doing the quilt in "sections" rather than jump all over the quilt, you will have some blocks that are really hard thrown in with some of the easier blocks. I will say in looking over your list that there are some in there that for the life of me...I couldn't have done them any way other than to PP them.

You might want to look at the threads ( I know you have) from last year to see if there were any that specifically tell about making your own PP pattern for the block. Sometimes I found that several of us would work out a "better" way to do things than the PP pattern in the software. In fact, there are some blocks 9 (can't remember specifically which ones) that are missing parts when the pattern prints. The other thing to look out for is when the pattern should be printed as a Mirror image vs. regular.
    Sandpat -
    if you wouldnt mind going over my list again to see which ones gave you a problem, I will see what I can do to make things easier. As some have indicated, the 'thatquilt' blog site has tips for every block along with visual aids.

I personally love paper piecing - but I know it scares some. thequiltshow.com had a great segment on it a short while back. I can contact them and see if it can be shared. Otherwise, I do have some tips of my own that would help.

I'm interested, but couldn't do 3 a wk. I have book and CD already.
    Marcia in TX.

i had never paperpieced before i started my DJ. now i wish i had learned sooner
    everyone is beautiful they just don't know it yet

Blog Entries
    Gus, it would just be some of the blocks with the teeny, tiny tris...you've already said you are going to do a tute on the FG...so that would help. I'm really not a very "seasoned" quilter and I don't "sew" at all...so some of the blocks were probably more of a challenge for me than for others. I found that lining up the segments of the blocks was really difficult for me early on as well. I finally figured out that a glue basting pen was my very best friend! LOL!

I think your schedule is fine. Afterall...there is a whole group here to help folks through the tough ones!

Just for everyone's information -
    there is an EXCELLENT tutorial on paper piecing using freezer paper. The link was created and posted by a member on this website. The link is:

http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2007/04/...per-piece.html

I would advise taking an easy pattern and trying it. I will also post the way I paper piece at a later time. Unfortunately I've got to run now. But I wanted to give a few non-paper-piecers a heads up - the explanation and photos at this site are great!
    Gus

This is an excellent way to do some of those tiny pieces. I'm going to try this.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, Jan, your quilt is beautiful! I don't think I had ever seen it before. So glad you posted it now! What are you working on now?
    Kathy

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast