Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gailinva View Post
QuiltnNan..........if you launder the fabric (including the backing) until there's no more shrinkage, what about the batting shrinkage when you launder the completed top for the first time?
hmmmm- i have not noticed shrinkage of the batting in my other quilts. but, to be safe, i think i will check that, too. i use warm n natural 80/20. thanks for bringing that up
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM

question: will we be posting the pictures on this thread or will there be a separate one, as the calendar BOM is doing?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM

I'll answer Jeanine's question first... and maybe turn it over to QuiltnNan?? perhaps you can clue me in as to how to start a separate thread? The first DJ Block Party had separate threads for each week or month I think. I guess it would make it easier to have one for each row. The problem with separate threads is that they get sooooo long! If we could post only pictures on the thread and possibly tips and save the compliments for this thread?? I've seen threads where there are 5+pages of comments after a picture. Although some of our quilters are amazing, it is frustrating if you are trying to get an idea of how to proceed with your own DJ or whatever it might be. What do you all think?

Next - katybob - WOW LOVE the blog!! thanks for posting it .... yet another place to spend my time. I looked back through about a year's worth of Julia's posting. She has so many other wonderful things to do there!!

As to her QAYG - DJ. She put hers together in 9 sections. If you look at the whole quilt you will notice there is a center Baltimore-style medallion which is the same size as a 4X4 section of DJ blocks. It is a beautiful interpretation of DJ in which she used only 98 DJ blocks. She attached sashing in between blocks and rows of 4 x 4, then layered the finished 4x4 minus outer sashing on batting and backing to quilt. when she was finished quilting that whole section - to put two sections together - she attached a sashing strip to both the top and backing to an edge of one section and then joined to the next section. With quarter inch seams, the cut edges of seams tops, batting, and backing butted up against each other perfectly. She actually wrote this under one of the pictures. For those wanting to QAYG using my schedule, you could do long strips or divide into sections. If doing the quilt as is - 13 x 13 blocks .. you could separate it into 4x4 5x4 4x4 for top section... 4x5,5x5,4x5 mid section and 4x4, 5x4, 4x4 bottom section [this adds up to 13x13 center section of DJ.]

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 01-09-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Another question. Does anyone know what Jane Stickly used on the back? Thus far I haven't found it.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

nan, your quilt looks great in the red/cream...but just a reminder....when you increase the size of your sashing, you will have to adjust the size of your tris. If you choose not to, you can still use them, but you will have to sash them as well and you will loose your points. Just something for you to check out prior to starting... the software will tell you what size your tris are now. You could always have a glass store cut you some plexi tris (in the new correct size) to use in place of the DJ tri ruler.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat View Post
nan, your quilt looks great in the red/cream...but just a reminder....when you increase the size of your sashing, you will have to adjust the size of your tris. If you choose not to, you can still use them, but you will have to sash them as well and you will loose your points. Just something for you to check out prior to starting... the software will tell you what size your tris are now. You could always have a glass store cut you some plexi tris (in the new correct size) to use in place of the DJ tri ruler.
Thanks... I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Jeanine- I have never seen anything mentioned about the backing either. I wonder if the museum has any information.

I am having a lot of fun reading everyone's posts. There are some great tips and helpful ideas on here!
I ordered my colored fabric last week.
Today I went into town and bought the background fabric.
I am soooo anxious to get started. Meanwhile I am playing with the software and trying to be patient. Hope that package comes soon!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat

nan, your quilt looks great in the red/cream...but just a reminder....when you increase the size of your sashing, you will have to adjust the size of your tris. If you choose not to, you can still use them, but you will have to sash them as well and you will loose your points. Just something for you to check out prior to starting... the software will tell you what size your tris are now. You could always have a glass store cut you some plexi tris (in the new correct size) to use in place of the DJ tri ruler."

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Thanks... I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it.
OK, thought this over for a while and printed out my tri compared to the orig DJ tri... mine is .562" longer at the base. But that would happen whether the blocks or sashings were increased. It's too bad that I didn't think about this before I ordered my DJ templates [sigh]. The square will still work for me, but I could have used a ruler that I already owned for that. I guess I could use the tri for other quilts
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM

i have started my dear jane journey here are my first weeks 3 blocks i am doing pp blocks and embrodiery blocks along with them will be 2 different quilts though
Attached Thumbnails img_0326.jpg   img_0327.jpg   img_0328.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

fromzstore, your blocks look terrific. did you digitize the embroidery ones? i love the idea of embroidery blocks. could you show a closeup of the embroidery stitching?