Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM

I think several of the borders add a lot to the quilt. Didn't want to say much, because really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Everyone has there own sense of style. That being said I am very glad we are designing our own, would hate to ruin someones else's center.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I think several of the borders add a lot to the quilt. Didn't want to say much, because really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Everyone has there own sense of style. That being said I am very glad we are designing our own, would hate to ruin someones else's center.
Yes I totally agree with you! For one thing we all see color differently, just ask my hubby. He and I are always in disagreement about what a color is. He is a former Interior Designer but some colors he doesn't see as he became color blind later in life. lol But I just couldn't finish this top without removing some borders. I like some of the things but others not so much. That is the chance we take with a Round Robin!

Hugs,
Betty
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM

ok Jan and I had a color discussion this last summer over whether a color was aqua or turquoise and we both disagreed. point being that when you do something like this and say oh please use only AQUA! will you get aqua or your version of turquoise? we do interpret color in our own way. I am glad to be picking my own colors and well that is one colorful quilt you have there. The center is great.. how big is it? I forget sorry. on point you will be keeping that thought or going with it square this time? you are welcome to put your centers on point just be aware everyone you will be making a whole lot more blocks.. that quilt grows magically with each round in comparison to other quilts but where we might do 28 blocks in a round you could end up with over 40 in no time at all. I love the checkerboard look though... might make a fun round to do for one of the easy rounds.. found a great round for the second round today think it will work easily on everyones quilts or so I hope. I was up sketching late last night trying to decide on the perfect first round.. see I am moving right along with everyone here not going to be ahead by more than say a block or two for an example.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CajunBear View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453936[/ATTACH] Hey this is my round robin that I want to redo....It's just not what I expected, some good, some not so good rounds! lol

Hope you can see the center.

Hugs,

Betty
Its beautiful!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:47 PM

I've been waiting to see what you come up with first but can always throw together a quick center block if needed.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 AM

Cajunbear, I agree. I am not to fond of some of those rounds. I do love your center block. I would take it out and use it. www.lenzula.com has free paper pieced new york beauty blocks. There is a group on the board that was doing them. I had planned on joining them but never did. I have changed my mind numerous times on what i want for my center block. I found and awesome applique that I would like to use. Not sure about it yet. I am trying to figure out if I can do it by machine. I am allergic to hand sewing.It is called Haleakala Sunrise by Sarah by the sea designs. I want to do it in either purple and orange or purple and lime green. I love bright colors. Can't wait to get started.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Cajunbear: I'm with you on this one. I think that some of the color choices they made did not fit in with the center and overwhelm the rest of the quilt. A few of the rounds would not have been my choice either. If you want to fix it, just take out the center square and start all over. Maybe later down the road some of those rounds could be used on something else, or not.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 AM

My center is just the Center circle that I squared, so I will still use that. The first round of this RR was to put center on point! So I will be good for this RR, I can't remember measurements but I will adjust size to fit in.

I love NYB block and saved them years go, thanks for reminding me about that site!

Hugs,
Betty
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 AM

I may be playing Devil's Avocado (hehe) for a minute. Some of the rounds I would have done differently if it were me, but it's mainly based on fabric choice- the talent level is obviously there. I don't know how large the quilt is, but could you finish it out and donate it to a hospital or charity? Or, if it's large enough, cut it into quarters and finish each quarter as a child's quilt to be donated to a children's hospital.

You may not be happy with it as you thought you would be, someone out there may really like it. I just hate to see all that hard work get seam ripped away. I don't mean to offend- it's obviously yours to do what you want.. just thought I might offer a suggestion you hadn't previously considered.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by frenchfryqueen View Post
I may be playing Devil's Avocado (hehe) for a minute. Some of the rounds I would have done differently if it were me, but it's mainly based on fabric choice- the talent level is obviously there. I don't know how large the quilt is, but could you finish it out and donate it to a hospital or charity? Or, if it's large enough, cut it into quarters and finish each quarter as a child's quilt to be donated to a children's hospital.

You may not be happy with it as you thought you would be, someone out there may really like it. I just hate to see all that hard work get seam ripped away. I don't mean to offend- it's obviously yours to do what you want.. just thought I might offer a suggestion you hadn't previously considered.
Frenchy, I have thought about that, I respect the ladies that contributed. For that reason, I am taking out the center only and I will replace it and do exactly as you suggested. I might even end us using some, we'll just see how things progress!

Hugs,]
Betty