Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 PM

I did several Round Robins with a group called Pass the Block. The work was wonderful. I bet the photos are still on here. Start with a center you really like!
See you in January.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:29 PM

wow quilting that would be one big challenge for sure! glad Jaba figured out the math of using it which is marvelous now those little blocks shown as centers that top one.. wow love those colors and the ribbon effect reminds me of the wonderful Jinny Beyer fabric that is out there.. rich color saturated. could be terrific when done! and we all end up with something to quilt and keep or give. its a grand deal if you think about it

today made two ugly sweater things. One has a deer, red nose UMMM, in crosshair marks. oh DEER! and the other is a trophy, Rudolph head, with the words : RUDOLF underneath.. GOT'EM I know terrible but its for a party at the boss's house. My DH sells guns at his store. so hunting is sorta a big thing there.. worst part? I have to wear one of those suckers. now to make them uglier with sparkle and beads and pom poms oh joy. might even sew a bunch of that shiny string you pack into gift bags? well I have a lot of red, could stitch it on like a fringe.. work but well its only time. Then Sunday I have to back a rum cake and a chocolate coconut almond joy cookie for the party. appears one of the young girls cant and bat eyed my man into making hers too. sigh.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
So do I! Starting at 32 1/2" if you do all 6 rounds, your quilt would end up 92 1/2 x 92 1/2". You're close, very close..and you can always just add another border or some plain strip sashing between each round of borders.
Jaba,
Thanks for doing the math for me! If i do all 6 rounds, it will fit my queen bed with some to spare. Now to figure out if I want to use it in the room with a king or queen bed in it. I may be able to quilt a queen on my DSM, but I would have to send a king to a longarmer for sure!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:44 AM

I have always wanted to do a medallion quilt, so I think I will join this group and try to keep up. I have a bit of civil war fabrics so that is what I will use. I'm not sure what my center block will be yet, but this looks like fun.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:19 AM

glad to have you linbails! you are going to love us, such a chatty group with great quilting ideas. Its nice to have someone else working on a project with you and well here on the QB we have LOTS of us working together so the encouragement I think is terrific. When you see what others have done you say hey I want mine to look like that or I want to do that but with these instead and well sharing and helping here we all manage to keep the ball rolling and actually most of us finish these things together. Pretty exciting if you ask me. A civil war fabric medallion quilt wow that could be rather subtle and warm.. bet that would so lovely. I have three fabrics only of the civil war style and I love them, rust, dark blue and a brown.. together they are so easy on the eye. Bet you will love that one linbails.
and we can't wait to see what fabrics you chose to start with
Old 12-21-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Mamahen I love that block. What is it called?
That's a really good question! I don't know. Can't find the pattern anywhere in my books, so it may be one that I made up, but who knows, it may be one I saw in a magazine and adapted. It is about 3 years old. It Is made up from all 5" unfinished blocks.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Elizabrat, thanks for the links to the other round robins. I've never paid much attention to round robins but have really been amazed while browsing through these. I only looked at the pictures but am planning to go back and read because I can see that there are a lot of ideas lurking in them there pages. Here's what really struck me. Someone would add a border and I would think, oooh that doesn't work! But then as another round was added, YES, it did work wonderfully. This will be such a learning experience. Thanks for coming up with this idea and hosting, E & J.

The centers so far are great. Haven't picked mine yet.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Your centers look great, I love the colors. It's kind of hard to tell from the large pic what the whole center really is.
I love your avatar!!
Jaba the first one is exactly what you see...ribbons crossing one another. the other one was too large and so what is missing is the beige border around the whole thing.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:08 AM

PS. I also wanted to ask.....will we be able to use scraps and fat quarters etc, or will we need width of fabric?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 AM

I will be looking for a center for this quilt along.