Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Sampler - Discussion Page for Week 2, Blocks 3 and 4 >

The Farmer's Wife Sampler - Discussion Page for Week 2, Blocks 3 and 4

The Farmer's Wife Sampler - Discussion Page for Week 2, Blocks 3 and 4

Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM

I've been thinking....uhoh! Look out!......seriously, though. Am I going wrong using colorful, bright fabrics?

I think I am going to go with my plan of making 2 of each block. One colorful, one more "subdued".

Then when, I'm done I'm going to mix them all up, LOL!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Hi Stef---I'm going to make up some blocks using Moda's Sanctuary and some of the other similar lines that kind of go with it. See how they turn out. I have some of the Maypole line but I don't think I have enough. Back to the cutting mat.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
Originally Posted by wvdek
Template #3 for Attic Windows is the same template you need to use for what is showing as #7 for the Basket.

I copied the templates from the multi page download.

I made the rectangles 1 1/2 " for the Basket Weave. Even tho I was really careful, I had to do some innovative trimming and use some scant 1/4" seams. It came out fine.
Thank You for the info :D
Let's try this again:

Template # 3 from Attic Windows is interchangeable with template #7 of Basket. I held the two printed pattern sheets up to the light and they were right on the mark. If someone chooses to interchange them that would be ok.

However, template #7, the triangle, did not work for me when making the Basket so I used template #4, the triangle, which is on the printed sheet for Basket and my block came out fine.
You will also note that template #4, the square, is not printed on the sheet for Basket, but is shown on page 130 in the book. Template #4 the square, on page #129, Autumn Tints, can be used for Basket.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I was not to show printed pattern. Admin can delete if I wasn't.

Basket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96325[/ATTACH]

Printed out sheets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-96320.jpe   attachment-96321.jpe  
Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 PM

Template #3 for Attic Windows is the same template you need to use for what is showing as #7 for the Basket.

I made the rectangles 1 1/2 " for the Basket Weave. Even tho I was really careful, I had to do some innovative trimming and use some scant 1/4" seams. It came out fine.
Let's try this again:

Template # 3 from Attic Windows is interchangeable with template #7 of Basket. I held the two printed pattern sheets up to the light and they were right on the mark. If someone chooses to interchange them that would be ok.

However, template #7, the triangle, did not work for me when making the Basket so I used template #4, the triangle, which is on the printed sheet for Basket and my block came out fine.
You will also note that template #4, the square, is not printed on the sheet for Basket, but is shown on page 130 in the book. Template #4 the square, on page #129, Autumn Tints, can be used for Basket.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I was not to show printed pattern. Admin can delete if I wasn't.
I have to apologize for thinking you were confused. I remember going thru the same confusion when I saw that and then finally gave up and figured someone from the Yahoo group would address this. I had forgotten about that boo boo. I think you have discovered a very confusing mistake. When I did the rotary cutting figuring out I didn't refer to the templates. I can figure out alot of them by just looking at the block. and I saw that in the book T #4 is a square not a triangle. You have spent alot of time trying to figure this out. you poor thing. Now I feel bad for not bringing this up to the board before. I just totally forgot. Well, you did great and the block looks great too!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 PM

It's ok. I have a mental block sometimes due to a long ago head injury and at times it just takes me a little longer to figure something out. It's not that I won't ask for help, but sometimes I just remember better if I do it my way. Then trying to explain it, well it doesn't come out like it should. No problem.
I know this is going to confuse alot of folks. I hope they ask questions until they get it too.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to keep track of all this while writing the book. Yikes!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Let's try this again:

This is exactly what I was talking about. I'm glad you posted alll this! I have to redo my basket block, as I butchered it trying to applique the handle, LOL. The first one was a pain in the butt trying to figure it out, and actually I think it was a pm from you that finally helped me do it.

This is much easier, though, thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 AM

templates from the DOWNLOAD 4 and 7 are not correct.
4 should be a square of the same width as the wrong template, and 7... I dont really know how much I trimmed off, I lined up the point side, stitched it across and trimmed off the extra, about 1/4 of an inch or a little more.
Hi, You are correct!!!

The FWS website has all the templates on one page .

Block #3 --- template # 4 should be marked #7.

Template # 7 is not marked correctly. I haven't researched which # it should be.

Now the Book/listed 1st Edition:

Template #4 is a 2" square which includes the 1/4" seam allowance.
This template is not included in the printout from the FWS website on either of the 2 pages for Block # 3.

Templates #7 in the book are correct but it doesn't match the size of template #7 on the printout from the FWS website.

If you aren't confused yet--you should be.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM

Yep, I have the First Edition that has some corrections which other First Editions don't. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, will be interesting to see what comes of #7.
I won't fret about it. I am just doing block by block and if it isn't right, I will research it and post.
Glad we can help each other out.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM

Wow, no wonder my basket block didn't turn out last night when I made it....lol, I thought it was because I was trying to work on it while watching the finals for "So You Think You Can Dance"....
I have to make it completely over as my bottom half of my basket was at least 1/4 inch over on each side which meant I totally lost the points ofcourse when trimming it down.
I will try again.
I did get block 4 done, I did it first as I was nervous after all the comments about the basket.
Muriel
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Hi from North/Central West Virginia. I am an avid cat fan; we have 3 and enjoy the heck out of them. I would really, really, really like to know where I can get the pattern for the cat quilt you have in your picture. Apologies to you others as I couldn't figure out how to send her a private message.