Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE  FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along  "SPRING BREAK"  Discussion Week >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along "SPRING BREAK" Discussion Week

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along "SPRING BREAK" Discussion Week

Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Jeanie...your quilt is gorgeous and it must make you feel sooo good to have another UFO completed. Mystery quilts can be such a mystery but your choices of fabric really make this one shine. I'm waiting for your answers to QuiltE's questions. I'm still not a FMQ'er. Need lots of practice.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
ooooooooooooh JeanieG .. that is a beautiful scrappy, indeed! The beige strings really make the pink/green blocks pop, but not attack!

What a good idea to get rid of a lot of the bulk and let you quilt. Now you have me curious about the PressNSeal .... does it actually stick to the fabric? and not shift off? Do you mark it before you put it on the quilt? or after? How large a patch do you put on at a time? (*note to self* buy PressNSeal!)
The PressNSeal really does stick beautifully to the fabric. The string blocks are 10" squares finished. I cut off around 9" of PressNSeal laid it onto the quilt pattern and traced it with a fine point Sharpie. I just stacked them on top of one another after I traced them. Then took one at a time and laid it onto the section of the quilt and firmed them with my hands. I used small vertical and horizontal guidelines on the top and sides to align it onto the block so they would be in the same place. I had already used my stitch in the ditch foot to do all the straight lines (in the middle section only), I only put one piece of PressNSeal on at a time, and quilted that following the lines. Because your only doing around 9" I just made sure that that section would move easily, not like your moving the whole quilt around.

I don't do meandering or anything like that, but I can follow a pattern line pretty well with the feed dogs down. I cannot say this is "really" FMQ, but I am pretty happy with the results. Hey my quilts are for me, and family and I don't plan on putting them in any shows or sell them! They don't have to be perfect!

They have great buys of PressNSeal at Costco.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Oh Jeanie, It's lovely. If ya git a chance we would like ta see that back. I bet it feels great ta git 'er' done.
I've used Press & seal w/good results also.

Last edited by dublb; 04-09-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Very nice, Jeanie-I love the colors you used. Thanks for the info on quilting in sections and glad to know it worked for you-that's something I may have to try. I absolutely hate quilting a large quilt so I don't make any!
Cute kitty. Why is it when our furry friends see a quilt spread out they immediately claim it??
He had already been napping that quilt as I was working on it! I sometimes had to move him to get to another section! LOL
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
He had already been napping that quilt as I was working on it! I sometimes had to move him to get to another section! LOL
My cats love all of my quilts.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 AM

JeanieG, taking some of the batting out before quilting sounds like such a great idea!! Thanks for that tip! Your quilt is beautiful, just love the colors. What a pretty white quilt inspector you have too.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Thanks JeanieG for the PNS technique details. Great explanation. I'm sure going to try that one! Much nicer than having to mark a quilt, and deal with the removal of the markings. I don't know why you wouldn't consider it to be FMQ?

DublB and Others ... any further tips to add to the PNS method?
I've never heard about it, so am all bunny ears!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Spring break must have "broke"....or everyone is preparing to have this weeks blocks ready to post the minute Honchey posts the link. I must admit the chuck wagon's overflow of goodies has left me stuffed and I am suffering a little jet lag from the trip to Hawaii....but wasn't it fun? Thanks again QNS for all of the wonderful plans and for everyone else for contributing and enjoying it with me. So today I finish putting the borders on my D9P and arrange the strip quilt on the design wall and start sewing the blocks together.

We've gotten just a little frost over the weekend and more predicted but the strawberries are covered and should be okay. Raspberries are showing buds and I saw my first rose bud showing color last evening. The clematis is covered with blooms and has reached the top of the 7 foot trellis. So pretty. My DH has decided he doesn't want to bother with the grapevine that is barely living so I'm going to move it up by my garden and give it a little TLC and see what happens. My DGF had rows of grapes along his driveway and then a couple on a trellis over the walk to the kitchen door. I'm dreaming of a trellis....

So goodby spring break...hello summer!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Good Morning All!

One more day of Spring Break ... is everyone busy doing last minute things of Spring Break? Like IRL holidays how we push to do more the final day than the whole time?

GGal ... it looks like you've been busy between gardening and your sewing! You had me smiling, and wondering if your strawberries and early plantings were tucked in with pretty quilts, to protect them from that frost!!! Now wouldn't that be a picture??

Honchey ... Thank you for your wisdom in giving us the Spring Break! It feels so nice to be caught up. I stayed focused on the job and am happy for it. Of course, there are other things I let go a little, but that's OK, as that was in my plan!!! Now to stay caught up!!!

All this extra food and fun has been good ... though now I need the garden work to work it off. However, I will probably resist for awhile on that. It's far from "safe" gardening weather here as they were talking some snow/rain today. It doesn't look like it though ... but who knows? the weatherman does like to keep us in surprise!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 AM

This is the little surprise that is visiting with me until the end of the week. We went to the beach yesterday...it was a gorgeous day. ...I got a little sunburn not too much...just a little pink...Tommy had lots of fun.
Attached Thumbnails calabash-easter-week-2012-453.jpg