Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 AM

QNS, Best wishes for another year! I hope it's full of good health, and love of family and friends. Many happy returns. :-)

It's nice reading about the eventful lives of you girls. :-)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Givio, its always nice to read about each other's success in turning out beautiful quilts and what everyone is working on at the present time. Does your community celebrate Halloween in a big way? Does any one in; their communities celebrate Halloween?

Seymore, Illinois, did a pumpkin carving contest every year with pumpkin entries all around the courthouse and square by different divisions, one was a family entree by Father, Mother and each child. There publicity was "See more in Seymour".

Living in the country, and leaving the lights off, most Halloween nights pass quietly here. Back to BS again, two new blocks done, the third will have to be pp. Possible another one in this row will have to be pp also.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:53 AM

QNS, Our little town uses it's emergency siren at 6:00pm on Halloween to indicate the start of trick-or-treat, and then again at 8:00 to indicate the time for walking door to door is ended.

We have a church down the street from us that has an event called Trunk or Treat, where the church members fill the parking lot with their parked cars having the trunk open, in which they put their boxes, bowls, or baskets filled with candy/treats. It makes a quick trip for the children to go from car to car to get the treats. I think the parents of the church wanted to make sure the children get safe treats, and it also allows congregation members to bake cookies, or provide other types of treats or snacks which are not so readily given to any child that comes to a house door, or accepted by any child's conscientious parent for the child (like the manufactured wrapped candies are accepted).

Because the event goes quickly at the church, and because children outside of the church are welcomed to it and many come, there is time left in the two hours for the children to go around nearby blocks. So we get about 300-350 trick-or-treaters every year. It's sorta costly to provide enough bags of candy that it takes for that many.

But, in a general way, I dislike Halloween now. When I was young the celebration seemed more and fun and happy. When my children were small, I loved to sew costumes for them every year, which they continued to play with throughout the year. But now-- it seems like what most dress up as is something painted of blood and gruesome death, or devils and witches, etc. I don't want that on my doorstep. We still get some pink princesses and cowboys, but each year the costumes that make me smile become fewer and the costumes I dislike become more.

I've got a Floribunda quilt sewn and hoping to have an appointment at the LA this week! :-)

Last edited by givio; 10-01-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:32 AM

I have been working on my ORL by BH.

I am thinking about adding 2 more borders so haven't mitered the 2 turquoise & brown borders. I like to miter multiple borders all at one time.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Lovely, dublb!

Just checking in after a day of work...going to start on the Burgoyne Surrounded QAL here on the board. I have been thinking about using my reds in this quilt and decided to go at it when I heard of the QAL. Don't really need to start another project, but oh well! Have the chain and circle strips cut...now to press my BG fabric and start cutting strips...Week 1 instructions are out.

Last edited by oksewglad; 10-05-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

That is a very striking quilt, Bev! Nice job. I went to a quilt show today and there were two gorgeous On Ringo Lake quilts. One was a lot like the original, and the other was primarily yellow! It was stunning.

OK, so you are going to do a traditional red and white Burgoyne? That should be pretty! I might have to pop over to that thread and take a look.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Well sewbiz, not quite traditional. I have chosen a BG fabric of script writing. I'm using darker reds for the chains and lighter reds for the circles. Different fabrics in the quilt, but all the same in each block. My outer border is a lovely black bg fabric with red tulips, Oh wait I took pictures last night[ATTACH=CONFIG]602107[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn0623-2-.jpg  
Old 10-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Oh... looks like it will be gorgeous! <3
Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Thanks SBG...ready to press the background and get cutting some strips.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:16 AM

Looks very interesting, but I cannot see how to download or print the pattern. What am I doing wrong, please?